Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post Operative Scar Tissue

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Lower Back Pain
Had L5-S1 fused almost a year, maybe just a year.

I've been experiencing pain now for the last two months. I am very frustrated and at the same time depressed. The surgery worked wonders. When I awoke in recovery, I new right away it was a success.

Now, after messing around,( I could use a better combo of words, but will hold back), for the last two months with the GP Dr, catscan because he didn't think I could do an MRI. Well the Catscan results ended up requesting an MRI with Dye Contrast. The outcome, post operative scar tissue infringing on the nerves.

Ok, who's had this? What are the options? Surgery to clean it up? PT? PM?

I'm tired of going back and forth to Dr. Although he's very helpful, and truly cares, our last meeting we discussed he is out of tricks in his bag. He's also not willing to help on the pain side anymore.

This stinks!!!! Why, oh Why can't it be fixed the first time. I now have to go stand on my feet for 9 hours. Lovely.

Any advice or input based on prior experiences would be helpful.

Thanks
advertisement

Comments

• Hi bmurphy,

Sorry to hear about the scar tissue. I have it too and have been dealing with it for the last three years. Unfortunately, at this time there is not much that can be done about it. More surgery to remove may turn into more scar tissue forming, PT may help some, but they can't break it up like they can other forms of scar tissue. You name it, I have tried it: ESI's (several times), TENS Unit, accupuncture, spinal cord stimulator trial, meds, PT...

I hate to be a bummer in saying this to you, but I have been told that there is nothing that they can do to make it go away. I will always hold out hope that something will come along and change that, but so far nothing has.

I hope that you find a regimen that helps with the pain. I find that a mixture of heat, ice, exercise and pain meds do help and that most days I can function pretty normally, but there are many things that I have had to give up doing because they trigger an increase in my pain level. It is definitely a delicate balancing act.

My best to you in your quest to find some relief! And, here's hoping that there will soon be a breakthrough that will help us both!
    Take care,
    Anne
  • I feel your pain. In 1984 I was hurt on the job of course workers comp was ABSOLUTELY NO HELP. It wasn't until I went to work for another company and their insurance covered pre-existing injuries that I was finally operated on for a bulging disc. Man was it great NO PAIN. However approximately one year later a most crippling pain came back. After CAT scans MRI's, MRI's with contrast, it was discovered that I had scar tissue. I was operated on two more times of course months apart before my doctor said that it was in my better interest not to have anymore operations as it was only opening more areas for the scar tissue to grow. SOooooo. for the past say 20 years I have been on multiple pain relievers along with stretching and exercise and most of all METHADONE which has been a godsend. As I am in construction it has enabled me to continue my lifes daily routines that is to say with a certain amount of pain the med's won't help. I have just had to learn to deal with it. When I do have insurance my doctor does outpatient surgery where he injects (I forget the names of it) in my back along with two very long needles that burn my nerve endings which most of the time helps, but not always. I pray for you and others like you that someday they will come-up with a way to deal with this agonizing problem. GOOD LUCK.
This discussion has been closed.