Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5-S1 Fusion / pedicle screws

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
:W Wow , I think I have found some support here! Had Lumbar Laminectomy/ discectomy L5-S1 8/29/07 and have never healed. Still having horrible leg pain and numbness.Have L5-S1 fusion scheduled for Oct. 27th . Not soon enough but after reading some of these stories I am now a little skepticle. Never in a hospital till 57 and had 30yrs perfect attendance at work. Now I feel like a broke down mule begging for relief. I think I have been very humbled by these stories. Thanks for having me!
advertisement

Comments

• Hello Retired (me too),

Welcome to Spine Health. Everybody here has similar problems than you, so you are in good company. I am sorry that your discectomy surgery did not work, let's hope the fusion will do the job. Sometimes you have to use the big gun to achieve the best results. I had my three-level fusion in May and I am very pleased with the results. The pre-surgery symptoms are gone, and even some others that I attributed to getting old, like stiffness in the morning, are things of the past. The recovery may take some time but it is worth it.

Good luck with your surgery! Hope all will go well!

Kin
  • I am recovering well on the multi-level lumbar fusion also. Hope everything works well for you too. Remeber, walk, walk, walk..... you will hear from everybody

Best of wishes,
  • :H Thanks Kin for the reply I appreciate the support. I worked as a machinist on concrete for almost 40 yrs and just retired in June. Haven't had much fun with this pain though. I wish the op was Today.I will keping your thoughts on my mind . It has been a rough year so I am anxious to get started on recovery after fusion.

RB in Indiana

Lumbar Laminectomy/discectomy L5-S1
    8/29/07
  • Thanks for your reply. Wow! you have a remarkable surgery record and I am so glad you are doing well. I don't quite stack up but pain is pain. The unfortunate thing is that before the first surgery I walked every where. I have always been a walker and after the op I can barely walk to the mailbox 50ft away. It is like being stabbed in the left calf muscle.I am so anxious to walk. Thanks a bunch for the advice. that is why I joined this forum tho get advice from the pro's. My son is an Rx so I have an inside advice to the meds.
    Take care and good luck with your recovery! And thanks for your service to the USA!
    RB in Indiana
  • i will pray for a full recovery god be with you and your family
  • Good luck and fast healing in your surgery RB! Where in Indiana do you live? I'm in Northwest In. Real near Lake Michigan.
  • Thanks for the luck! I am extreme SE Indiana.
  • Thank you for your prayers. I will take all I can get!
  • RB, Sorry you are having so much pain. I had 2 level fusion and laminectimy in June and am feeling much better than pre surgery. I am still healing, but most of pre surgery pain was gone in recovery room. I wish you the best on your upcoming surgery. Seeking
  • Pretty sweet you got 57 years without needing surgery! I got 21, not counting my csection at 16. My body does not feel 22, though. Lol. I feel a lot older, for sure. I know what you mean about the stabbing pain. Sucks! My fusion is in October, too! You'll have to keep me updated. Let me know how it goes for you :) Wish you only the best!
  • Lo, I must be very blessed to have lasted as long as I did, although I have been suffering from sciatica for about 15 yrs. Present pain is a result of the first op. You are so young to have gone through all that you have. I will pray for you to get through this and get on with your life with your little son. My wife is a teacher and has taught several autistic students. Wonderful children!
    I guess we have fusion in common so let me know your progress. I go in Oct 27th so when the drugs wear off I will be here!
    Thanks for the support as you have mine!
    RB
  • Hi Seeking!
    Thank you for your best wishes . I am glad your operation was a success. I hope my pain goes away like yours. I wish my NS would have done a fusion when he did the lamniectomy/discectomy last Aug.I think Too much bone was removed and allowed the L5-S1 vertebra to move around and keep pinching the "NERVE". Had 3 epidurals after the first op that worked about a week each.P/T before helped but not after. I have been a member of AA for 18 yrs so I live a day at a time and God has given me the strength to endure this and alcohol but I don't like the drugs.
    God bless you and Godspeed on your recovery and healing. Keep me informed.
    RB
  • Sorry I have been tardy responding but wanted to thank you all for your prayers. I did in fact get my 2 pedicle screws and fusion the Doc promised. Probably the worse piece of humble pie I have ever eaten. I am wearing a velcro brace and recovering slowly. Down to 1/2 percocet every 3 hrs but still having leg pain but it is subsiding. At 58 I just have to be paitent.
    Good luck and prayers to anyone who is looking at this or any surgery.
    Lo how did your surgery go? Let me know.I hope you are recovering well!
    RB
  • for the update, and glad you are doing well. Yes, these issues sure do teach us patience, don't they! That was definitely hard for me, a former hyper busy bee. Not any more!

Take care,

Cheri
  • Thank you Cherish for your well wishes. I think well wishes are more in order for you. I am sorry you went through all the ops that left you with the nerve pain. I dealt with the sciatica for about 15 years befor the first laminectomies /discectomy last year and then the nerve pain in my left calf for a year. I can sympathize with you on the nerve pain.
    I will pray for your pain to go away .
    If your picture is true at least you can smile!
    Take care.
    RB
advertisement