Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Please, If your on lots Of Narcotics

cyndi4everccyndi4ever Posts: 153
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Drink Plenty of fluids, Eat Well, and keep ahead of the constipation,,,, I ended up in the hospital being so impacted from my bowels, and let me tell you it made the surgury a walk in the part...... Never have I been soooooooooooo sick,,,,, Naseaa, throwing up, pains, I was not able to keep anything down including meds so that just was a catch 22,, so please just be careful..... I will never forget this lesses.. Cyndi
advertisement

Comments

• may i add... take some extra magnesium, just the vitamin itself can make the diff. I prefer CALM it is the best, taste great and works what more could you ask for. patsy
  • OUCH!! so sorry you had to go through this.

Glad you are back home and doing better. I have only been mildly constipated after surgery but that was painful enough.

Others on this site have recommended Prunes in your daily diet also.

Have never tried but for those on meds this seems like a good way to get your fiber.
  • and it would seem that the docs would and should tell us about this side-effect beforehand. It seems to effect everyone.
  • Good advice! It took me 10 days post-op. They should never have let me go home until I was able to go. The problem for me was I was so "out of it" those first few days I didn't realize the seriousness of it. I was not too concerned because I was eating so little. Thank God for Fleet to get me going again and for Plum Smart juice, it saved me.
  • Has anyone just randomly experienced it months into being on narcotics? I've been taking pain killers for 6 months... And just these past couple weeks I have had an issue with it. I've been taking generic peri-colace but it doesn't do much. I don't know how I am still eating and losing weight when I'm keeping all the food inside. Lol.
  • told me but I just had never experienced it and boy will I pay atttention next time and forever now,,, I have been on some sort of narcs for 4 years off and on now and maybe this has been my stomach issue all along.......... Ill try the magnesium, I have a tendency to go low on pottasium so Ill try that too,,,, funny my pottasium was higher than normal while going through this LOL,,,, thanks Everyone this is s agreat family
  • I have to incorporate prunes and/or prune juice every other day now. I prefer the actual prunes as to the juice, the juice is very bitter compared to the actual prune.
    I have found for me.. If I am not having to take any break-thru pain meds, then I dont have the problem, But when I do, look out! Im so not looking forward to the area after surgery! I have otc meds on hand and ready!
  • They have delicious dark chocolate covered prunes now... OMG they are yummbo.......
  • I am new to this site and I have already suffered from constipation. I have found that Miralax works great. It is a powder that has no taste that you can put into your favorite drink hot or cold. I like it because it doesn't make you cramp and it really helps me.

Keisha >:D<
  • Hi Cyndi4ever, I'm sorry you had to go through that. I take docusate sodium(colace) as a stool softener and milk of magnesia daily. I'm very interested in chocolate covered prunes. I learn something new everday. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I had the nausea and impaction back in 1990 when I had a severe ankle injury - my first experience with pain meds - yeow! I'll tall ya, it's a lesson I remembered for this surgery.

I did the prune juice with a good dose of milk of magnesia to get going again this time. It worked - a bit painfully, but it did work.
  • If you had just had surgery DO NOT STRAIN. Believe me you will pay. You need a laxative and stool softener. And buy Fleet enemas for emergencies; they're real cheap, and it comes with two bottles (less the 2 bucks). It works within 5 minutes, no joke.
    This is what I took, and it is recommended to take daily. Senokot formulated for medicine induced constipation. It's made with a natural vegetable based formula, I think. But it's kind of expensive. I tried store brand Colace and it gave me the @#$%s all day and cramps.
    Do drink plenty of water, I ate those dried prunes, bananas, and those yogurts like Activia.
  • If you are reading this thread and haven't had your surgery yet, PLEASE be prepared for the constipation. Prior to my surgery, I stocked up on prunes and prune juice at home. I also requested them at the hospital the first day after surgery. I have had terrible constipation problems before and didn't want to go through that again. I had absolutely no problems with it this time. So...take precautionary measures.
  • You are not kidding! This is a torturous problem. Be prepared all you pre-op Spineys. The hospital started me on colace, MoM, dulcolax suppositories on post-op day 1, all of it, and I didn't go till day 5, and thought I was going to die in the process. That is what the arms on the elevated toilet seat are really for, they just don't tell you ;)

Helpful items: Colace, dulcolax supp., Miralax, Fleets enema, prunes, Plumsmart juice, raisin bran, dried apricots
  • I feel very privileged...I didn't have any problems with constipation after either of my surgeries. I didn't go till 3 days after my first surgery and 4 after my 2nd one, even with laxatives at the hospital. But since then, even with the meds, I haven't had any problems at all. In fact, I usually got the other end of the spectrum instead lol. But i'm not gonna complain....better to be able to go, than to not to.
  • Is there some reason the surgery itself contributes to constipation or is it just the narcotics? I just switched from norcos to oxycodone and I'm quite a bit more constipated.

I just bought some generic colace and the bottle says don't take for longer than a week unless directed by a doctor, Is it Ok to take on a daily basis for a prolonged time? I won't see my doc for 3 more weeks.
  • I take colace daily since I'm on narcotics also. You should be able to call your Surgeon and let him know all the meds you're taking and don't let more than a couple of days go by without movements. I find drinking at least 8-10 glasses of water a day and walking when you can a few minutes several times daily should keep you regular also and prunes do help and I drink warm liquids also and take Metamucil but I would let the Dr. know if 3 days go by and nothing Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I'm not a nurse or medical professional, but feel this? The Anesthesiologist will put more medication in you than anyone else! Depression, constipation, etc., is not uncommon sometimes for months! I know on my last surgery (same post op meds as my last surgery) I was bummed for like 2 months, and hard #2's for almost that same time!

If in doubt, please talk with your surgeon. Narcotics for many does plug them up! Me, narcotics by themselves don't seem to bother me. Post op, yep.... I hope you feel better soon.

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Senokot is a natural vegetable laxative and has been suggested by a couple of my doctors. But as someone mentioned above, it is VERY expensive. Something like $15.00 for 20 tablets. I found the store brand (equate) bottle was around $6 for 100 tablets. I have never had constipation issues until recently. Now I take a couple tablets routinely at night as prescribed by my doc. Just thought I'd pass on the info that the store brand is the only way to go if you use Senokot. Same product.
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • The store brands are the same medicine, only a different name, and a lower price.

I use Miralax, and have since the fusion surgery. I take it every day, but sometimes only half a dose. When you first start using it, it takes about four days to work.

I want to find the chocolate covered prunes!! I love chocolate!! =P~
  • The store brands are the same medicine, only a different name, and a lower price.

I use Miralax, and have since the fusion surgery. I take it every day, but sometimes only half a dose. When you first start using it, it takes about four days to work.

I want to find the chocolate covered prunes!! I love chocolate!! =P~

Sorry for the double post.....I guess I was very proud of what I had to say!!
  • I find that I cannot take the laxatives because it is too much on my body when I do go, but recently my Dr. told me to try a stool softener, and that really helps allot and I stay regular. I have Diverticulitis anyway so I have to be careful what I eat. I'm having Neck surgery March 15th, and am still recovering from lower back surgery in July, so I guess this is round two.
  • Having had one of the worst, sickest days of my life today - so, I will second this. I've been good about Miralax & docusate in the past, but had a bump in breakthrough meds due to a flare.

Things like glycerin suppositiories and saline enemas only work on the large bowel; narcotics cause small bowel to slow down too and you have to address these through some oral treatment (senekot, docusate, Miralax, increased fiber). If you don't go by day 4 - start to be concerned, by day 7 its urgent, ten days surgical...
  • Let me say there is a natural remedy for this....prune juice!! It works like a charm. One glass b4 bed, then one in the morning and you will be guaranteed relief. Never go more than 2 days w/o a bowel movement.
advertisement