Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New symptom? Needle like sensation in toe

manaleriemmanalerie Posts: 550
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:23 AM in Chronic Pain
So I woke up this morning and noticed that there is a needle or pin prick type sensation in my right foot, at the tip of my fourth toe.

Its not constant, but when I walk, or even if I tap my toe, I can feel this "pin prick" at the very tip of my toe.

Its not a bunch of needles, just like one. Shoot, maybe even a little piece of glass in there or something. I can't see it though...

Any thoughts? Anyone ever get this?

If its still there tomorrow, I will call... someone. Neurologist maybe? Or PM? I think this would be for neuro.

Amanda
advertisement

Comments

• I have felt a needle like prick sensation before in my left foot big toe.

I have spondyloptosis though, and I am sure that might be the cause..I am not sure wat u have..

But its probably best to see a nuerologist i guess..

Hope u are well soon.

Imelda
  • When's the next time you are scheduled to see a doc?

Quite honestly, most docs aren't going to react to something like this as an urgent thing. I'm not saying not to call the doc if you feel you need to, just trying to say that things like this come and go. In fact the older you get the more things like this come and go all the time. Some hang on for a week and then disappear never to return. Just before you give in and go to the doc ... *poof* the pain, tingle, pin prick just disappears.

Just my thoughts.

"C"
  • I'm not really all that concerned about it. Was just something new. I know last year my big toe went completely numb. I didn't even notice it was numb until I was putting my shoes on, because I couldn't feel it! They weren't worried about that. That lasted about a week.

I was just wondering, because I had the epidural last week, maybe there's a nerve issue or something. Like I said, its not really bad. Almost like just one needle, and I only feel it when I walk, or move my toe.

I can still lift all my toes etc. Nothing is numb or weak. Just weird I guess. lol
  • Amanda~

It's very possible that when you had the injection, the Doc may have knicked a nerve or something...? Or it could be some inflammation putting pressure on a nerve. Hard telling really, but personally, if it were me, I wouldn't worry much unless it spreads out to other areas and/or gets more intense, or if your toe changes color, especially purple, blue, ash, bleach white, or black, which could indicate lack of circulation. I'm sure it's annoying, or at least will be if it continues. That's what it's like with my left leg cause it "went to sleep" over a year ago and sometimes I'll catch myself tapping my foot on the floor trying to "wake it up" :S Often times the tingling/pins & needles feeling get more intense and even feel painful, and other times it's barely there but enough to be annoying without pain.

Wish I knew some way to help ya...provided it stays the same or gets better I think I would just mention it at my next appt, but if it gets worse, spreads, hurts, changes color etc like I said already, then I'd definitely call for a sooner appt. Hopefully this won't be the case and it will go away as just "something bizarre my toe did once". ;)

Keep us posted...you've got my curiosity! :? :D
  • On the way home from my husbands work family picnic, he asked about my toe. I could still feel the needle, but my 3rd 4th and 5th toe were pretty numb. I started to get scared, and took off my shoe, only to realize that my boot was putting pressure right on those toes, cutting off circulation!! =)) There was a little red line across the toes!

The needle sensation was gone when I woke up this morning, and hasn't come back. Probably something I never would have even paid any attention to before all of this with my back!

Thanks for all of your responses. I will post if it comes back again...
  • hey girl,
    i just got this feeling a few days ago its still with me, but of course i just had surgery so its probably just a nerve causing a party in the body.
    if it does come back for ya, just give the dr a call to put your mind at ease. it is annoying that is for sure. all the sudden your like OUCH what the heck was that :O :O
  • I actually got this twice in the tip of the 3rd or 4th toe about a month ago I guess it was. I kept taking off my shoe and looking at it trying to find if something was stuck in there. It felt exactly like you just described, like a needle poking it. I felt it while walking and flexing my foot while driving (it was the on the right foot). I probably won't bring it up with the doc either being as to how it has not happened since then.
  • Have a similar thing in both big toes. I keep wanting to blame my shoes, but I've been wearing flip flops--it's warm here.

• I see your post is a few years old but if you're still here - I thought it was coincidental that I had the exact same stabbing pin prick sensation in my 4th toe on right foot last night. It kept me awake for 2 hours! I flew out of bed and looked for a spider but nothing was there. It kept reoccuring every 5 minutes but eventually subsided enough to sleep again for a few hours. Today there is a slight sensation of soreness there but no pin pricking stabbing like last night. Did you ever find out what it was and did it go away?
  • I have had this problem in end of my 4th toe for about a year now, it hurts like crazy when I walk or put pressure on it. It's exactly as you describe, like a needle sticking in it. I have seen a podiatrist,a physiotherapist, had an x-ray, an ultrasound, an MRI and a CT scan, I have also been to a surgeon. No-one can figure out what it is as nothing shows up on any of the tests. I'm off to the surgeon again this week, I have heard they can cut the nerve, and that might solve the problem, If that doesn't work I would seriously consider having the toe removed, as it is making me walk on the side of my foot with my toes scrunched up,so the affected toe doesn't touch the ground.
  • Have you tried any nerve pain medication yet? Welcome to Spine Health. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • i get periodic needle prick pains in my big toe on my right foot, which came after my injury to L4-5. every now and then i look to see if there is a shard of glass sticking out of the top of my toe. lol.
  • Mandy, you don't mention any back issues or diagnosis of back problems here so you might want to seek out a good Physical therapyst or masseuse that is experienced in Trigger Point Therapy. It is possible you have very tight muscles along the outside of your calf, due to trigger points and they pull on muscles that go into your feet, which you can have tingling, pain, etc.

When you or your body retrains itself to avoid this pain, you walk differently, which throws your gait off, and that compounds problems with your pain.

I was very close to having to have plantar fascitis surgery a couple years ago, because I couldn't take the pain anymore, or stand on my feet longer than maybe 3-4 hours a day. I found out it was because muscles in my hamstrings, and calves were loaded with trigger points, so stretching only helps temporarily because stretching a tight muscle actually can tear it if you have trigger points, so you work the TP's out then stretch, which then relaxes the muscles.

It's a domino effect, in my case I now know that my issue with my feet was being brought on by my legs getting trigger points, but they are getting them because my low back problems.

So look into it, before you have surgery..
  • thanks cactusred and charry, I'll try anything at the moment to avoid surgery. I had surgery on my back, L4-5 fusion 18 months ago, but the doctors don't seem to think there is a conection with that.
  • donnamarieddonnamarie Posts: 1
    edited 11/20/2013 - 4:18 PM
    I have the same problem of hot pain on the tip of my 4th toe. It's not there all the time, mostly when I walk or wear restrictive footwear. I though I had a piece of glass or a fracture toe at first. I would like it to go away as it can be painful but the doctors and podiatrists don't have a clue what it is. My back X-rays have show anterolisthesis of L5 with bilateral L5 pars interarticularis defects present. There is also a loss of L5/S1 disc height. Am I experiencing nerve pain and could this be the cause? I have had a herniated disc before but I thought it was healed.
    I like the trigger point advice. Are there any further positive treatments from sufferers?
  • This happens occasionally and doesn't last very long (left side). It happens when I wear different types of shoes, for over a year now. I've exercised, TENS Units, inversion traction, kept weight low, for many years, fighting arthritis in my lumbar spine... finally in Dec. 2014 it felt like lightening struck my back down to my calf (left side). Surgery 3-9-15, scraped three buldging discs and laminectomy to remove the bones damaged with arthritis that irritated the nerves. I didn't mention this to the doctor, thought it was a foot problem. Your posts make we wonder if it could be caused from the arthritis/nerve problems. Doctor told me if I had any pain after a year, it would be permanent. I am lucky, I had no pain or permanent damage and I was able to climb a flight of stairs the first time they got me out of bed. I will definately mention it to him when I go for my 3-month checkup. I am eager to see if this strange sensation goes away within the year. Oh, I did get a spinal epidural in Jan. soon after the attack, and was able to do a lot of leg strengthening exercises at home, because my knee buckled after the attack ane I fell. I went in strong and came out strong. Then I got an infection and had to be opened up again 4-1-15.... that's another story.

• I just started having this same pain in the toe next to my big toe, just this summer whenever wearing flip flops in my garden. I kept thinking it was ants biting me. But every time I looked there was nothing there. Never experienced it when wearing closed shoes. I do have pinched nerves in my spine and assume it's likely related. Will check with my neurologist this fall if it doesn't go away.
advertisement