Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Metoprolol Tartrate

dmoonchildddmoonchild Posts: 383
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Pain Medications
Anyone ever heard of this med for anxiety?
advertisement

Comments

• nope,i read it is used as a blood pressure medicine.here is a link.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metoprolol
  • Hi Bigcat, It says in the same link it is used for anxiety. This is news for me also. I've heard of better anti-anxiety meds though. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Actually yes, it can be used for both. I can't say as I've ever heard of or seen it used for anything other than as a beta blocker, but that obviously doesn't mean anything! ;)

I'd be interested in hearing if anyone does take it for anxiety as to how well it works, what side effects were experienced, etc. I'm trying to find something else to use for my anxiety besides Xanax-I would like a med that is more longer lasting as opposed to the short half life of the Xanax-aside from Paxil and most of the other AD's as none of them helped my anxiety in the least.

(here's a tip just for chits & giggles for anyone (like me! :B )that might be at all interested: Anytime you see a drug name that ends in 'olol', that means it's a beta blocker-think cardiac!)
  • Hi,

I take Metoprolol for high blood pressure and heart along with two other drugs. It does lower your heart rate quite a bit, I would be a bit careful. I don't notice any calming effect, but, I already was a very calm person, and it was not prescibed for anxiety.
  • I have been taking it for 8 years now. 100mg daily for high blood pressure. Does not compare at all to Xanax. Not Even Close.

I read somewhere ( Uk study I think )that it increases the risk of contracting diabetes. Yes I am diabetic. Got hit with type II about 4 years after initially starting the drug.

Hopefully some US group will do a study with a definitive result.

Nightfall
advertisement