Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bursitis in hips after Laminectomy and Fusion at L4/5?????

Laurie AnnLLaurie Ann Posts: 47
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Has anyone else had bursitis after surgery???? I am not sure why I have this! This is twice since surgery August 12, 2008.
advertisement

Comments

• I developed bursitis in both hips after fusion to L4-5 in 2003.

I know it makes sleeping very hard when you have to wake up and move because your hips are on fire.

Not sure why I got the bursitis. Doc said it can be caused by limping, which I did for a few years before surgery when my leg was on fire.

I have learned to manage it with the proper stretches and avoiding things that really bring it on. Sitting for long periods and digging holes in the garden were the worst for me.

I used to wake up with both legs and hips on fire if I over did things around the house. I take high levels of vitamin D daily and weekly B12 shots and I don't have this problem as much anymore.
  • I don't think I have bursitis, but I have to wonder if the ungodly way they treat our bodies during this surgery is the culprit. I just don't think there is anyway to fully support the body from trauma inflicted by the mechanics of removing bone, drilling holes, implanting pedicle screws and cages, etc. I think it is a very violent process and I think my hips and SI joints have been horribly traumatized. Unfortunate when my originally problem was hip pain making me limp. Hopefully it is just temporary, Sue
  • After my TLIF my bursitis has been aggrivated because I am laying on my sides rather than flat. Cant seem to win no matter what position I lay in,lol. There isnt much beyond position changes and alternating heat/ice that I can do about it.

Hope it goes away quickly for you!
    Shell
  • Shell,I'm in the same boat you're in. The hips hurt when I lay on them, my back hurts when I lay on it and forget the tummy. Not happening. What's a person to do?
  • Hey there,
    I read this thread and thought, hmm..wonder if that's part of my problem. I'm 11 weeks postop from ALIF L4/L5 and some evenings and nights I go to sleep and then wake up with aching hips and legs. I sleep with a pillow tucked and have used my tens unit. I really think mine is "saddle pain" across the tops of my hips (where you get shots put in), instead of in the hip joint itself. I did limp for about 4 weeks after surgery really bad. My left leg was out of commission after surgery and took awhile to come back to par. The PT said one leg was shorter (my right) than the other and gave me a heel insert (which I haven't tried yet).

What does your pain feel like? Is is an ache or a sharp shooting? Does it hurt everytime you take a step or only after fatigue?? How do they diagnose this? Can they see is on an xray or do you have to get a hip MRI??
  • If I lay on the bed and lift my left leg up, I hear a bone pop noise as I'm lifting it up, like there's a spur or something or it doesn't fit together right. When I walk, I can feel the pop with my hand pressed to my left side hip bone. It doesn't hurt at this point though, just sounds nasty.

My problems start every evening and get worse after the week is out sitting all day at work programming. Walking doesn't seem to help the ache. Stretching helps some, heat feels good but not completely relieves. I'm taking Robaxin and Lorcet Plus, but neither really makes a dent.
  • My Bursitis feels like my hips are burning right below the hip bone. Its very painful! Mine is in both hips, I dont understand why I have it. I have found its hurts when I lay on my sides, flat on my back etc.. Ice packk havent really helped. I am going to see surgeon tomorrow for followup I am going to ask why this keeps happening.
  • I noticed bursitis post surgery from laying properly on my right side while sleeping.

I used to sleep on my back and stomach. So now I basically have only my left hip as the good one.

I find groin stretches are the best. I used to have that "popping" feeling when walking or hiking and I'd drop down and stretch my right groin and then it would "pop" and got relief and then it felt "normal"

I'm also learning that "hip-flexor" exercises help (ask your PT for help with that).

Growing up my friend's Dad used to ask me to bring avocado leaves....young leaves...to make tea. He said it helped his bursitis. I'll explore that for myself and let you all know if that really works.

Now I think of it, I might have even had less pain while drinking green tea??? Worth a try .. right?
  • I drink Tea all the time. It's not green tea however! I heard its a natural anti inflammatory. Don't know if its true or not but I like tea so I drink it. If you have bursitis that means inflammation on a joint? After asking your doctor see if its ok to take anti inflammatories. Couldn't hurt. :)
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.
  • read the comments...had back surgery three weeks ago and I think I might have this in both hips...What do you do for it???.....God it hurts.......tired of all the pain....
advertisement