Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What ?'s should I ask the neuro?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Spinal Stenosis
Hi All,
I go to the neurologist for the first time this Thursday. Any advice on what questions I should ask or if I should insist on any proceedures? I've bee nin varying degrees of pain in different places for over 20 years. You can see my diagnosis below in my signature. Funny thing is, as I've stated before, while not pain free, PT has helped it tremendously. I'm keeping my appt because of numbness, that at times is barely noticable and at other times is almost everywhere. That and the muscle twitching in my legs and torso. I notice the numbness is worse in certain positions and when I am stressed. Any ideas out there? Thanks for the help!
advertisement

Comments

• Never a good idea to insist on specific tests. (especially a neurologist who is very specialized and can have a large ego)

If you want to approach having the doc order a specific test, you could ask him about it and what he thinks about it ... "doc, I've heard about this xyz test for symptoms like mine. Do you think it's a valid test? Do you think it really helps pinpoint problem areas?"

"C"
  • Yeah, I agree with haglandc that the egos usually precede the surgeon by about 6 feet. I also carry a notebook, in the form of my laptop, every time I go to a doc. I salso digitize everything they write and all my films (with a camera) at the time they are taken.

I would not sdemand anything of a doc, rather I would be informed ebough to suggest a procedure to them and see how they react. So far, I have been lucky with that, and what I have suggested has been performed.

Bear in-mind, that what I have said only applies to the real world, and not the VA world -- that place and those processes are horrid.

Best of wishes to you,
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,715
    I would never insist of any professional to do something. After all they are the professionals and 'should' know what to do. But we all know from time to time, we have something in our gut instinct that tells us we need to find an answer for.
    You want your doctor to perform Test ABC, but if you come right out and ask, you may risk the scenario that you wont get Test ABC. However, I do believe that you can go see that doctor and in one way or another suggest or hint towards Test ABC , so that the doctor comes away feeling that it was his/her idea to get that test done.

Doctors are no different than any of us. Just different education field and degrees. But they have egos, feelings, just like we do. So, work with that.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Thanks everyone for your insight. I'm just happy to finally be getting into the neurologist and don't want to waste my or her time. I found that I need to be proactive as far as my health is concerned. Nobody knows or cares about our bodies like ourselves ;o)Heck I've been married 30 years and am in sales...I should know that asking questions is the best way to "sell" an idea 8} Thanks again
advertisement