Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sitting after 3 level fusion

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
~X(

Hi

Just wondering - will I be able to sit after the fusion and disc replacement?

Sitting is the enemy now, and I know I'll be walking loads, but will I now be able to sit? And if so, when?

Ta
advertisement

Comments

• I'm just 2 months out and just barely tolerating a bit of sitting. If I sit more than 30 minutes I'm in trouble and my back lets me know it over the next day.

I had a 2 level fusion.

My NS did tell me that the less I sit the happier he will be for now.
  • ...from much less than you'll have done & I still can't sit for longer than 30 minutes.

Buy a bunch of TempurPedic(or other memory foam) seat pads & use them all the time, everywhere you go. I have them in the car, at work & around the house. Learned the hard way that many chairs/seats etc in public places are not padded...!

Good luck! you are one brave and intrepid person! Stay in touch!

~Lakeside
  • Sitting is a no-no for fusion/spine surgery patients. My initial post-op instructions were no more than 10 minutes every hour. Now since 2 weeks it is no more than 15 minutes of sitting every hour. My NS said a recliner, fully reclined was okay. Just started trying that at 6 weeks out. It is difficult to get the legs popped up without bending/leaning, so was good I didn't get my recliner till last week. For the first 6 weeks I rested laying down and walked, saved sitting for meals and in the car. Good-luck, it is great you are researching and learning to be prepared for surgery :) , Sue

P.S. Always go by what your surgeon says.
  • hi,
    of course its going to depend on what your surgeon's instructions are.
    sitting is hard. im also only allowed 15 min a day for 2 weeks. then i can increase as i feel my body will allow.
    recliners well not a great thing to sit in as there is no support for your back unless you pile up the pillows. (per my dr anyway.)
    so its pretty much the couch/bed etc.
    last year at 3 months out i could sit up but only for 30 minutes or so. my tush would get so sore.
    then i would have to lay down wherever i was. and that brought me to around xmas time.
    just remember each dr is going to say something different. most of i have found are the same, but ya just never know.
    this surgery is a long one for recovery. its time consuming for alot of us. some ppl bounce back quick and your like "huh" but it does happen.
    just take your time, go by your drs instructions and rest/walk/rest/walk/rest and of course catch up on some books, movies and repeats on the t.v. it does get boring i will not lie to anyone on that.

i cannot wait to hear on your recovery of your fusion as your posting is the first i have heard about stem cell/bone marrow being used for fusion. im not a huge reader either so i imagine its been written somewhere..

GOOD LUCK TO YOU
    we are here for all the support your going to need during your recovery.

take care
    terri
  • was the sitting post surgery.

I've a pre-op on Friday, so I can ask then. I had thought that might be the case, just wanted it confirmed. It seemed odd that I'd be walking miles, but not able to go to work - now I know why.

I did get the pedometer out yesterday and made sure it was measuring correctly for when I start my walking routine. I can't wait to walk without my leg aching after about 20 minutes. Hubby asked why I'd stopped walking/gym/exercise so much, and I said - well it hurts, and now I know that no amount of exercise will fix my problems, it's really hard to put yourself forward to get more pain. But once the op is over, I'll be back!!

• I was allowed to sit initially for 10 mins at a time then up to 20 after the first week. I can sit as often as I like I just have to constantly get up and moving around so I set my egg timer to remind me when I am doing something like this.

Now I can comfortably sit for up to an hour but boy do I pay for it when I get up. I was at a friends a few nights ago and we were watching a movie and I forgot to get up! Yikes, I had to lie down before I coulds go home. The problem was it doesn't hurt to sit. (well not for me anyway)

You really have to check with your own Dr as to what his restrictions are, even the physios tell me differntly.

Blessings Sara O:)
  • Hey there!

Well Before my 2 level ACDF C 4-5 and C 5-6 on 9-3-08 and I asked my Ortho Spine surgeon about the fact that I am in colleg and taking one course one day a week for 2 hours and 45 min. He said it was fine but DO NOT PUSH IT!

The disabilities counseling office ahs a special office chair that I requested, but I don;t know it does much for me other then keep my back a bit straighter and my butt from gettind sore...oops I should have said bottom! LOL
    Anuway It is very very difficult to tolerate and I am getting up and standing in the hall about 3-4 times during the class. thank God for tape recorders! I also have to get up and walk when we have a ten minute break. I usually use the rest room and walk up and down the hall untill the break is over!

It has been tough, and like others have said every doc's instructions vary, so I think we all need to listen to our bodies and follow our doc's instructions.

Hope it gets better for you soon
    Christine
  • good luck at your pre op testing appt.
    yes write everything down. the nurses are sometimes really good at answering those questions.
    plus you will have all your discharge instructions when you leave after the operation on what you can and cannot do.
    good luck with the walking. im very curious to find out when your done with surgery about this stem cell/ bone marrow thing. very interesting..
    let your body rest when it needs to and try not to push yourself..
    oh and take those meds on time. when i came home i did not and boy did i pay for it. now im on my correct schedule.

i sometimes need to eat my words on advice i give others :jawdrop: i need to start using my own advice :))(

let us know how you make out >:D<
  • I'm confused. I had a TLIF on 6/28 and my surgeon said no restrictions on sitting. Mine was on L4/L5. Would that make any difference?
  • Im not sure hun. Like I said all drs are different. I am now at day 10. I can sit in the computer chair for 2 hrs with no issues. Numbing tush a bit, but otherwise no added pain etc.
    I'v really never asked the "reasoning" for not sitting more then that. Mabye the added pressure on the hardware/grafts?? Not sure. I can find out at my 4 wk ckup. Unless someone else comes along and actually has a 'reason' for not doing so.

With my neck I sat up ALOT at a time. Last year I couldn't my tailbone felt it was going to come through. Even though I knew it wouldn't ;)

So we shall wait and see if anyone else has the 'reason' why not???

Take care all
    Terri >:D< :* >:D<
  • Terri, that is wonderful, how do you feel when you get up?

I have to say I can if I push it as it doens't hurt to sit but I pay the price after.

Sara O:)
  • Hi

Forgot to say, I saw the anaethetist on Friday, who works with the surgeon and is def part of the team, and I asked about sitting. I will check again, but he thought I should be ok to sit. The rods and screws hold the back in place abd the current pain is due to the discs that will be no more!

I'll let you all know what it's like once I've had the op and tried sitting - such a simple wish.....

Hope all ok today
  • Hi Snoopy:

After my TLIF I did minimal sitting the first 6 weeks. The doctor told me it puts pressure on the spine which causes pain and impedes fusion. I was uncomfortable sitting for some time after my surgery. Many get tailbone pain, it does go away in time.

Ellen
  • You'll soon see how you feel.

Post op they will have you perching on the side of the bed and you will be surprised how you fatigue and the surgery sore muscles pull.
    Slowly slowly you'll be able to tolerate more.
    I can't even now. I have a lot of coccyx pain. I am happy ish perching, walking and lying down. Sitting me in a normal chair brings tears to my eyes.

You will find stategies around it (i have my perfect chair that I take about with me) but worry not, you soon see how your body feels.
    Good Luck.
    (Have you checked your Personal Messages recently??)
  • Sitting was the one thing I did well after surgery, I had no restrictions. I also only had a lifing resticiton of 5 lbs and no twisting with a brace. But I was concerned about lost flexibility with the hardware. My NS kept reassuring me that bending and sitting motion is ultimately done by the pelvis and once healed from initial surgery, at 4 mo, he told me I could do anything I wanted, as long as I did my daily PT at home without exception, never missing a day. Keeping those core muscles, which he explained ride right over my hardware, flexible and not tight, is the difference between pain and movement. And I learned the hard way by stopping my PT that he was right! For me walking was not an option because my major pain was accross my upper thigh/groin and I could not walk. It took many months after surgery for those nerves and muscles to come around and allow me to begin to walk again. I am still struggling with that. Some days I can only walk less than a block before the pain is unbearable and I have to stop for a minute or two and then I can go on again.
  • Hi Snoopy, I had a 3-level fusion in June, and I STILL have periods where I have difficulty sitting. My advice is that this is a normal process of recovery. Don't push yourself - lie down, walk, or stand up - whatever your preference when you feel that you've exceeded your body's supply. :)

Very best,

Mike
advertisement