Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

back feels like it is going to give out

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Lower Back Pain
anybody have a feeling that your back is catching on something when you move, the pain is tremendous and it actually stops you in your tracks. feels like it is so weak like it could just give out at anytime. I never had this type of pain before my surgerys. 2 lamenectomys L3-S1
advertisement

Comments

• just trying to walk sometimes can be a horriable chore, the best thing i've found that works is get comfortable and don't move i know it sounds hard to do but it helps a little bit
  • thanks, I do do that, I have been in bed for the past few days, flat with legs elevated and ice.
  • all of the time but I have arthritic facet joints and they will just lock up on me.
  • does the pain go down your leg, and have you had back surgery, it feels like my back is catching on something, using a brace helps, but also will weaken. sometimes i can't even walk
  • yes!!!! thats exactly how i feel. i will be just standing at the counter making a sandwich for the kids and suddenly my back will freak out and spasm.
    or i will be walking and suddenly i will feel a click or pop and feel as though something just gave out.

its unnerving to feel like you are always walking on eggshells.

~X(
  • That is exactly what it is like for me, when I get these sharp electric shock like pains that stop me in my tracks and take my breath away. You feel like your back is going to snap, and not hold you up. Sometimes, my back doesn't hold me up, and I end up leaning against a wall or something, and I have dropped food all over the kitchen floor when these spasms take me unawares. Only thing is, my problems are in my thoracic spine, not my lower back, but don't suppose it makes much difference, we still feel the pain.
  • Yes, that is most likely your facet joints. Anyone that I know that has the same problem as I do describes the locking up exactly the same way. I have had back surgery but not on my facet joints. My back brace helps a lot but I do not wear it every day.
  • I couldn't have described it better stops me dead in my tracks with a firestorm of nerve pain. Sucks cause I dont even have opiates to help :sick:
  • jordanlady- I see that you had L3-S1 lams. I would get into the spinal dr to get it checked out. I would have many different symptoms that would sometimes feel as if I caught my back/hip on something to full spinal electric shocks knocking me to the ground. My surgery went from L2-L5...jade
  • HELP! I have scoliosis spinal fusion with Harrington rod (28 years ago) - I am now 42 and have had many back 'pains' but a new more disturbing one has started. My lower back, on the right side right by my SI 'dimple' "locks" up when I'm just standing (ie at the grocery store in line) or mid-walk.....notice it's worse with weight-bearing. As mentioned above it feels like something got caught on something....It forces me to stop dead in my tracks and feels as though I cannot move, however I usually just force myself to "walk it out" - best 'cure' thus far has been to just stand and lean against something, or bend over at the hips. It seems to be in the SacroIliac region - like it's slipping out of place - but I see noone mention this...Along with it a "popping" feeling,noise is now happening in the center of my spine right below my fusion...like a joint is popping...
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.