Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New here, need some input!!!!

HeidiLynnMHHeidiLynnM Posts: 445
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hello everyone :H
I am writing to get some input, and or advice. I am a 28 year old woman with a disk hernation at L5 S1. I have pain on the left side of my back(always been on that side). I also have severe pain in BOTH of my legs. At first it was on the left side with the numbness, now it is both all the way to my feet. I have been dealing with this 2 years next month. I got hurt on the job.
I have done pt, chiro, injections, discorgam, and Idet. The pain management doc said that there is no more that they can do because they have tried everything they can do. I currently am taking some meds for the pain, but the narcotics make me sooo tired and dizzy.
To make a long story short, I have a decison to make , and I really need to be aware of what I am getting into here. I can't go to a neurosergoun right now because of work comp, I have to wait even for a new mri.
I have the choice to fight this out or give up and live with the pain. I just wanted to know if you guys also get this pain, and if it ever spreads to the hips too?! I swear that I ran a marathon with these legs, and I don't even do much!!! The back pain is also getting worse. I even have pain going down into both of my feet.
I know that everyone will say that I need to see a doc for this but I have to wait.
I am afraid that if I do get one surgery, it will lead to many more. I am also afraid that if I don't get surgery, I will get worse. Any input would be wonderful here!!!
Thanks for reading!
advertisement

Comments

• I would suggest you read some of the threads in the back surgury section.....
  • I will be reading the surgery posts. I have a feeling that I will be needing a lot of support with all of this. I just want to end the pain! I think that if I do give up, I will just end up wondering if surgery of any kind would have helped me. I hope to see more posts on this thread :)
  • as long as you are breathing there would be no reason to give up! The thing that I would worry about is if you have nerves impinged that you may suffer permanent nerve damage.
  • Howdy, and welcome.

You say it has gone on for 2 years, and also that the PM people say there is nothing they can do further. You als state that a life of drugs is not really for you....

Those things being said and you have indeed exhausted your conservative treament yet things are geting worse.... i am sorry to say it may be time for a surgical effort.

Many of us have been there, though mist of us not at so early of an age. it has been said, however, that an early age offers a good prognosis for surgery as your body is more capable / prepared to recover.

Whatever you decide, we will be here and ready to help you as nuch as we can.

I wish you, the best of wishes in your endeavors,
  • I was 28 when I had my first fusion surgery. I was in about the same place you are, except mine wasn't work comp. I had pain, numbness, and tingling down both of my legs. When asked where I hurt, I would point to my hips and say "from here down". I went from working a full time physical labor job, to laying on my couch almost all day....basically overnight. What they told me was that I had basically broken my back. Today I am 4 1/2 weeks post op my 2nd fusion, and even through the pain of 2 surgeries, I do not regret them. If I hadn't gotten the fusions done, I can't even begin to imagine where my life would be right now. Yes, I still have pain. I had more pain after my first surgery for the longest time, but that was due to the pinched nerves one level higher (they didn't find that till years later and it was too late). Would I do it again? Yes. It is a hard decision for everyone to make for them self, even harder when family is involved in your decision (i'm a single mom). But I couldn't keep living in pain. I couldn't keep living on pain meds all the time. I had to exhaust all options presented to me to try to regain some kind of normalcy to my life.
  • Are you sure you aren't my long lost back pain twin :O :O This sounds like I could have written this post. I completely understand your pain. I wish I could say more but I'm feeling the same way you are at this point. I just wanted to let you know that I'm great at reading/listening to venting or chatting if you ever need me...
    -Lisa
  • Im around your age and sadly I suffer from similar symptoms . My .02 cents is you mentioned the pain meds made you tired and woozy. Have you tried Tramadol ? For a while I used the 800 mg
    ibuprophen and tramadol and it helped quite a bit. Whatever route you take make sure to read these forums there is alot of helpful information.

And yeah I absolutely hate the leg symptoms jelly legs lately the neurontin i have been taking has helped that
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.