Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone experience pain in their calf ?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
Hello,

I know that I have a herniated disc that is impinging on the right L4 nerve root. My symptoms have been moslty numbness, tingling, and cold sensation on the top of my right foot.

I also have pain through my right knee.

I have low back pain that radiates into the right butt cheek.

Where I have little oR no pain is my right thigh.

For the past five days I have had a constant pain in my right calf. It feels like a cramp, but nothing I do makes it go away.

I am wondering if this can be a symptom of the pinched nerve?

Other issues in the low back are severly inflamed facet joints at L4 / L5 and L5 / S1.

One thing I am considering is a blood clot since I am less than two weeks post-op for neck ACDF. In looking at symptoms for a clot I am not sure it fits the criteria.

About all I have is the pain and a slight swelling as compared to my left calf.
advertisement

Comments

• It could be related to the pinched nerve but why not get it checked out by your Doctor. And if you have TED stockings wear them. You need leg dopplers ultrasound to rule out a clot and ct chest or VQ scan. Watch for changes in your breathing and really you may consider a trip to the ER to get checked out. Wishing you well. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Is your leg discolored at all? Does it feel hard? Is the pain staying the same, or is it getting worse? How swollen is it? Have you been doing ankle pumps to keep the blood circulating in your leg?

I have had a DVT (deep vein thrombosis) which then led to pulmonary embolisms. Please be sure to watch for any signs of it worsening, or shortness of breath, like charry suggested. Just to be safe, I think you should call your surgeon and ask him to check it out tomorrow. And please keep us posted. Hopefully it isn't anything serious, but since blood clots can be life threatening, your doctor needs to check you out, in my opinion.

Good luck.
    Cindy
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • No redness, or any other discloration. No hardness. I measured the circumfrance with a string ( :B ) and it is just slightly larger than my left calf. Pain is a bit less in the morning when I wake up, but then gets worse as the day goes on.

I will have it checked out. Thanks :H
  • frustrated--I would call the surgeon or even your PCP and see what to do next. I had a DVT with a pulmonary embolism (PE) post op and I can't remember the exact date now but it was maybe 2 weeks out or so.

I had cramping like a charlie horse in my right calf. I kept trying to walk it off and increase eating bananas. I had a small red dot there and as the week went on, it looked like a circle of red had surrounded this spot. Almost like a line of red encircled this spot. But I could hardly walk on it and had to use a walker. I had to limp.

My right ankle was ever so slightly swollen than the left. No one could tell but I could tell it was just a little larger. The PE was just 1 small attack of losing my breath. Real quick and painless. Lasted maybe a few seconds..But I remember thinking to myself that I might die mentally and I told myself to stop thinking crazy thoughts.

It was my PCPs office who diagnosed me by phone and to go to ER. The NS office did not seem to know and told me to see my PCP. I won't go into the ER experience. X(
    I ended up in the cardiac ICU and left the hopsital after 1 week there.

This is not to say that you have a blood clot...But I wanted to give you an idea of what I experienced. I would call your drs and see what they say or if they want to see you. Take care...jade
  • My right calf is so tight in the morning. I can't stand it! My right leg feels about 3 inches shorter. It loosens up eventually, but still doesn't feel right. I don't have sciatica pain anymore, but I have this. My doctor was worried about a possible clot after surgery, so I had a doppler US. Everything is fine. He believes that this has to do with my Sciatica. I also still have numbness in my right foot on the side and heel. BUT, I can walk, I can sit, and I can sleep at night! So, I feel like I am a success! I don't think that I will be 100% ever again, but at least I am living again!

Robin
  • Just had an appointment today with lumbar spine doctor. He is a bit perplexed as I had an epidural on the right L4 with no relief.

He says that an issue in my right calf would be L5 and a six month old MRI says nothing there but white hot (inflamed) facet joints.

He thinks the calf pain may be related to my knee issue I had surgery for.

I never got to ask him, but are epidurals 100% accurate when used? I do not think so. I am frustrated with the progress there.
  • frustrated- so the dr was not sure? Was this the surgeon for the neck? Just curious as the surgeon may have another opinion..take care..jade
  • I think you would need a new one. At least that's what they told me when I went in to see my neurosurgeon. As this pain is new, I think a 6 month old MRI might not show what's exactly going on.

Please to keep looking into this. Watch for other symptoms, and don't feel like you're over reacting. A clot is serious, so you need to be vigilant about this pain.

Doctors can make mistakes, and things can be overlooked. Just keep a good eye on your symptoms... k?
  • Jade,

Different doctor. This one has been doing the injections. What is complicated is the lumbar and knees are an admitted work comp injury, and the cervical is a denied work comp injury (work comp says I aggravated a 19 year old injury :))( )

I am having to cover the cervical issues with my major medical and the NS for that might not want to give his opinion on the lumbar / leg issues.
  • I think you are right. It will be seven months old when I get to seeing my knee ortho. I shall mention it to see if he agrees on a new lumbar and lower leg MRI.
advertisement