Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

When to increase dosages?

GreyEagleGGreyEagle Posts: 350
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Pain Medications
:? My DO started me on morphine 15 mg 3x a day a few weeks ago. She added this to Vicodin 5/500, which I had been taking for a few weeks already. The Tramadol was not working.

I'm finding this current combination pretty good. I am going to be having ACDF Surgery, most likely 4 level C-3 thru 7. I'll know in a week the extent. My left arm especially has been very painful. Usually its worst late at night or when I get up in the morning. I'd had a C-6 nerve block diagnostic about a month ago. That totally took the pain away for one night.

What I'm wondering is what lvl of dosage is next if my current dosage proves to not be sufficient? What are your experiences?

Thanks much,

Ken GreyEagle
Greyeagle
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Grey Eagle,
    Honestly, you can stay at your current level of pain medication for a long period of time. Many do stay at the same level for years as long as you are getting adequate coverage of your pain. Pain management using medications is just one way of managing the pain levels, there are many other modalities that might help as well as raising the medications or changing them.
    If or when your needs for changes in your pain medications happen, your doctor is the best one to discuss any other medications or modalities with.
    Since pain medications effect us all differently, you may find that after your procedure that your pain med needs go down instead of up...
    Sandi
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,726
    After surgery, lets hope that you pain medication dosage can be decreased. Even though you will be somewhat uncomfortable after your ACDF surgery, you should not experience the level of pain you are currently seeing. The pain/discomfort post surgery should be for a short period of time and before you know it, you will be off all pain medications.
    That is what we all hope for when we have surgery, to correct the situation we had requiring surgery.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Yeah, current dosage is probably the wisest. It does help. It does not take the pain away as much as I'd like around the clock. Best outcome is that the surgery will resolve my arm pain. Both my DO and my Neuro Surgeon are agreed on that point. I just need to have patience and hang in there until my surgery.

Thanks for all your input,

Ken GreyEagle
    Greyeagle