Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bulging Disc already

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
My first surgery was Feb. 14, 2006, they fused C5-C7.
My second surgery was April 8, 2008, they fused C7-T1.
Now MRI 5 months later shows a bulging disc at the C4-C5 level and possible one starting at the C3-C4, will I need surgery again? If they do fuse those levels will my ROM be severly restricted? Now I can't move that much because I am only 5 months post op and just now getting weined out of the soft collar, but I haven't noticed that the rom is restricted much. I am scared that I am going to need another surgery, or on the other hand that they won't do anything about it now and I will go back to work and then it will herniate and I will have to be off again for the third time. How much will my employer be willing to take??? I see my surgeon on the 1st of Oct., and he don't like to answer my questions very well. I was seeing his PA, but he told me that he wants me to see the surgeon, I am thinking that is not a good sign.
advertisement

Comments

• I understand and am following in your footsteps. I am fused C4-C7, revision done Feb 07 and now much of the neck pain is back along with shoulder and arm pain. I'm told those disc can't rupture because they are not disc but a solid fusion but the levels below and on top of the fusion can. Does this ever end? I'm stressed and in all honesty do not think I can take another surgery, the revision almost done me in. I can't get in to see my surgeon until Oct 22 but the orto doctor I am working with does seem to think it's my neck.

Sharon
  • I'm facing my first fusion surgery and I'm hoping my Neuro Surgeon goes ahead and does C-3 thru C-7. C-3 is not that bad but it is beginning to show trouble. I don't want future multiple surgeries. I feel real bad some of you have to have these multiple surgeries.

What I don't understand is if doctors see a problem on these various levels of the surgical spine why they don't just do the whole thing in one surgery. I'm not a doctor or surgeon so I'm sure there are factors I am missing. It is just sad and tragic to me when complications that seem unnessary occur.

Ken GreyEagle
    Greyeagle
  • from what I understand is that when they fuse, the discs above and the discs below take on the additional strain of what the fused discs cannot. Therefore, they end up herniated and you're starting over from square one. HTH.
  • You understand right, that is what they told me also. I hope they decide to fix both levels this time so maybe it will be done. They will not fuse a level unless it shows issues, and 5 months ago I did not have any sign of defect in the C3-C5 area. We will see what the doc says on the 1st. Good Luck to everyone else!!!
  • Ok, that makes sense. Well, that's probably why my DO did say she thought my Neuro Surgeon would do C-3 thru 7. She saw issues on all those levels, as did the Radiologist. What I don't know for sure is if my surgeon is going to see issues on all those levels. I'll know next Monday, the 29th of Oct.

Ken GreyEagle
    Greyeagle
advertisement