Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

trouble getting muscle to strengthen

tammycttammyc Posts: 894
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Anybody have an opinion or can help with this would be great.I've been looking on line for quit a while and can't find what i'm lookin for.i was told before i had surgery done that i had a lesion on my spinal cord that was caused by the herniated discs. i know that it affected my reflexes but since i have started physical therapy i have had difficulty strengthening the muscles in my thighs. other muscles are strengthening great and fairly quickly but theses muscles are just not doing much. They did strengthen a little bit and then just seem to stop,my therapist had suggested that i may have hit a plateau and had suggested a number of things i could do to kick start them again but so far no change.i even started walking up and down steps at a near by stadium,every muscle in my body hurt a few hours later except for my thighs which had no change at all. I don't understand this.My question is does anyone know for sure if lesions can cause lasting muscle weakness?
advertisement

Comments

• I am not an expert, but it seems to me that nerve damage would cause weakness that may take quite a while to improve. My nerves were seriously damaged, and my NS told me that it could take a year or more to improve, and that he couldn't say how much improvement I will get. Apparently nerves only regenerate 1 mm per day.