Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

wonder why?

cherrybabyccherrybaby Posts: 49
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Do you ever have the days where you are still swollen and can't stand the pain anymore. I have had days that i for get that I had surgery and other days that i heart worse than ever. I keep felling like the surgery worked and other days when i think that it was the worse thing that i ever did.
I finally started to do good with sleeping and then other days i can't sleep at all. when you don't need meds and can go over 90% of the day and don't need them. and the next day i sware i am on them all day.
You fell great when doing PT and onother day you can barely do them.
ARE WE EVER GOING TO FELL SOME WHAT NORMAL????? :''( :/ :''( :/ ~X(
advertisement

Comments

• Accepting the fact that what you described might be normal for me, has helped me. Instead of fighting to regain my "old life", I had to accept that this is the way things are today....maybe not tomorrow, but today. When i quit fighting, I got better. Probably doesn't make much sense, but that's what happened. Still deal with the up's and down's everyday. I try to enjoy the up's as much as possible and when down's hit, just do what I have to. Even if that means nothing. I do hope you find some relief.
  • oh darlin,
    agriman pretty much said it short and sweet.
    remember your still early out in this "journey" you are going to have 1 good day to 3 bad days. this is not easy by no means.
    dealing with my revision right now i do sit here and think "should i have done this" i will drive myself nuts if if i keep thinking that. i had no choice as i did not fuse after a year.
    as for the 1st op it was either that or deal with that horrid burning pain i had. (thankfully that is gone)!!!!! and stays gone.
    but you just have to do one day at a time. you will hopefully hit that majic month mark where things are back to the new "normal" . i have friends that feel like they never even had the surgery. and are doing great.
    our bodies have to get used to the new instruments in our system. your muscles/nerves have to rejenrate back to they way they used to be.

HANG IN THERE!!! just go slow , don't over do. your body will tell you when you have done to much for the day.
    if it means walking, pt one day and resting laying down the next well thats the way its going to be till your healed.

YOU CAN DO THIS, that is what we are here for is to get you through even the toughest of days or the faboulous days.

(i sure hope i am making sense. im still kinda out of it)
    my hospy stay was only 2 nights and well im still loopy.. 8} 8}

your not alone.
    lots of love and hugs
    terri >:D< :X >:D< :X >:D<
  • You are only 2 months off the table....!

It takes 6-8 to even feel somewhat normal (I'm at almost 9 months) & my NS said to figure TWO YEARS until it's all healed & you know what you have left...

Heck, you're doing great! At 2 months out, I swear I was stll asleep most of the day!Really!

And now I'm teaching f/t again...in pain yet, yes, but much better than @ 2 months, as you are..

It just takes forever. 3 steps fwd, sometimes then 4 steps backward...it just hurts a long long long long time...

and I also had the "never should have done this" thoughts...but now, at the point in the timeline that is closer to the end, I do feel it was the correct decision.

But at 2 months, I didn't think so either!

REST, REST, REST--WALK, WALK, WALK...cry/laugh/take your meds...stay here w/ us...

It does get better & so will you! And there will be a "new normal"....and you'll be OK with that,also.

Bless you tonight---find a comfy sleeping position & worry not. This too shall pass!

~Lakeside
  • I am only 2months off the table, too. I have days where I am great and ready to attack the world. Then I have days where I just wish I had a morphine pump.

I never feel like I did not have surgery, but I normally feel better than I did everyday than I did before the surgery.... that's a measure of success to me.

Today was a good day, but I am feeling it; I worked 11 hours, but I sat in the same position for too long.... and , well, you know the rest.

By the way, I am working remotely from home.... so no scolding me.

Best of wishes to you,
  • O:) I just want to tell you all thank you! I know that i am not that far out. I know i have done way tooooo muuuccchhh this last week. I am now awollen like i was the day i came home i just need to learn that cause the insision is healed dose not mean i am!
    AGAIN THANK YOU >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • Cherry, glad to hear you'll take things slower for awhile now...and remember: your incision is NOT healed at 2 months! The surface may look better, but underneath...down all 4 layers, you'll be healing for months.

So go slow, rest a lot, take your gentle walks & wait for TIME to do its magic--it can't be rushed or "fast-fwd"--it just takes that 6-9+ months they tell you---and for most of us, that's the beginning of the "almost feeling well again" period. 2 months from a fusion is VERY early, as you are finding out!

Your body will let you know, beleive me! And it sounds like you've figured that one out!

Blessings to you on the long road home! Go slow: the speed limit for now is about 15 MPH! :) And you truly won't regret it!

~Lakeside
  • One of the things that the vast majority of our surgeons omit to tell us is just how long our recovery will really be. Probably for many of us even if they told us we wouldn't really comprehend it until actually experienced it (certainly I fell into that category).

As others said you are only 2 months out from your surgery and while two months does sound a long time, in spinal fusion surgery recovery time frames its not that long. Just take one day at a time - try to do a little bit each day but DONT overdo things. If you feel sore, stop and rest for a day or two. It doesn't matter if you miss a day or so from doing your stretches and such - the main thing is to not over exert yourself if you are already hurting.

In my case it took a few more months before I really started to feel the benefits and I just posted in another thread that nowadays I often wonder whether I did actually have fusions surgery! There really is light at the end of the tunnel - it just takes a while to get there
    Keep positive!

Bruce

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

advertisement