Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

No one will send me to PM

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Pain Medications
Hello all,

*sigh*

In the last month, I've had increasing back pain that the Darvocet hasn't touched, so Friday when I went for my 4month post-op fusion checkup, he gave me a predinsone pack, and Vicodin, 1 tab every 4-6 hours..Max 4 a day.

I could just cry, my back hurts so freaggin bad, and I can't function.

Ortho surgeon doc said that going to a PM isn't necessary.
I called his nurse this morning, and told her their weekend on call doc had told me to up my Vicodin to 2 tabs every 4 hours.

I just want someone to listen to my needs, and not think I'm a freaggin crackhead because lying on the heating pad ALL DAY isn't ok with me. I've had to "cancel life" many times, and I can't do it anymore..

Long post for a short question...lol, sorry...

So yeahhhhhhhhhhh, how do I have my ortho surgeon either a)change my meds, cause 8 vicodin is extreme, and there is other stuff out there that will help control pain, and not kill my liver as badly
b)send me to a PM (I LOVED the place I went before. They don't act like they're too busy for you, unlike the docs office)

Ok, I'll stop rambling. Thanks 8>

Bionic Samantha

*I set off metal detectors*
advertisement

Comments

• i posted under your other thread in back/neck surgery.

still not understanding the restrictions either of housework, or PT. i know all drs are different in their restrictions. what was his reasoning for not starting you on physical therapy to see if it helped get your muscles etc back to where they were before surgery.
    you can PM with that or write it in either post that you did. ;)
  • I haven't read your post in Surgery yet. What kind of fusion did you have,and how long are you post op? I don't know how long the surgeon will wait to decide to send you to pain mgt. I think that laying on a heat pad will cause more inflammation and pain. I would recommend ice packs because they numb the pain. They are my best friends. I do use a heat pad on my leg when I have muscle spasms due to sciatica.
    I was already with pain mgt when I had my fusion, so I was still on Fentanyl patches. The pain post op was incredible. I had my fusion in June and had just started PT. I have had a lot of flare ups, and the sciatica won't let up. Now my other leg is acting up and I'm waiting to see what the doctor says. I had to cancel two sessions.
    Hang in there; see if you and your doctor can have a nice civilized talk. Tell him what your typical day is like, like how you said you have to lay on a heating pad all day. That's a sign that something is not going right. Take care and keep us posted.
  • Hi ,
    Depending on the type of fusion that you had, how many levels and the restrictions that your doctor has given you will help us to give you some idea of what you might consider to help with the pain.
    I was told after both my fusions that I needed to give it at least a year. I was sent back to PM at about the 6 month mark, although my PM was in the same office as my surgeon. I saw both of them for most of the next year....
    I was sent to PT at about 6 weeks post op, but I was loosing ground rapidly, and they were trying to offset that loss I think.
    I was on different pain meds than you are taking, but was dealing with CES, so that may explain why I was so much pain.
    You do loose your core muscle strength after a fusion, with the combination of restrictions, no bending ,lifting or twisting ( mine was for 4 months) and then extended to 6 months...and the brace if you have had to wear one.
    The best recommendation that I could make at this point, is to try some ice, along with maybe getting into PT to help rebuild the core strength....and if that does not help after a few weeks, try to discuss it with your surgeon again and see if he will change your pain meds to something else.
    If the surgeon is still writing your pain meds, I am assuming that you are within the three month window that most surgeons use. If that is the case, the worst pain is in the first three months, I'm told....and it is supposed to get better after that.
    Sandi
  • Samantha,
    Is that not a good thing, can you not do what they did the last time you went, I would agree that you do not feel rushed and many here have years of experience of PM, I have a heart problem also they said come back in six months, if they had said come back in the morning I too would have been shocked.

Make a plan of you own, with experience my own plan is as good if not better than the PM one now and suited specifically to me, I did not need another person to validate my pain I live with it day and night. They do not have a magic solution just use what has worked in the past and much academic research has been done on the benefits and associate problems with PM itself.

Monitor and evaluate every nuance of what supports your chronic pain and work on each element, although the notion of support from like minded individuals was good and very effective, I need a positive environment to encourage me. Sometimes the responsibility of our PM is down to us and close support is only temporary, here at SH is the optimum mode of best practice, this is as good as it gets and these posts the most effective route through others trial and painful error.

You sound very determined and most things are within your reach, with some adaptation and appropriate support.

Take care and make your plan empower yourself, take some control for the element you can manage.

Good luck and keep posting.

John
  • When I had my fusion in 2005, it was a few months after surgery before I went to PT,and then when I went it was only a few sessions. They gave me the exercises to do at home, and that was that. Didn't help much.

If you can walk, that is one of the best things for you right now. Try to walk a little more each day. I can totally relate to the heating pad thing. I used to do the same thing. But I also use ice, which will help with any inflammation.

When I started going to a PM Dr, I didn't have a referral. My company nurse gave me the name of the Dr., I called and made an appt, and then after she tried everything under the sun, she referred me to another PM Dr. who did the Spinal Cord stimulator.

The SCS helps, but it's not a cure by any means, at least not to me. I wouldn't want to be without it, so maybe you can find a PM dr. in your area that will take you without a referral, and from there you can get the treatment you need.

There is another website that has rooms like this, from people like me that have stimulators put in. I don't know if I'm allowed to give out the name or not, but on that site you can find Dr.'s in your area. Probably some that you won't need a referral from, I don't know. Race against pain is the site, though. Hopefully I'm allowed to give it to you : )
advertisement