Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

recovery time?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
i see my neurosurgeon in 4wks and will most likely be facing a fusion.

Question is: how long will i need to recover and be a functional parent?

my hubby is due to deploy back to iraq in sept next year and i want to know that i will be able to take on the household duties by then.

he does everything now...cooking, cleaning, driving,etc...

should i be worried that i will be pushing myself if i had surgery, say, in late oct/early nov?
advertisement

Comments

• I had an ALIF on my L4/L5 and I was back at work after 8 weeks home. I'm doing the laundry and light housework. I have a sitting down job, but an hour drive one way to get to work. So far, I'm still having pain, only one day without any and I'm 11 weeks postop.

From reading your bylines, sounds like we have the same things. I'm 43, with two kids, 9 and 15. They helped a lot. Do you have children?

If you had surgery this fall, I would say that by next year this time, you should be doing well. Although, it's scarey and you just don't know what's to come in the future. Everyone says 3 months postop to feel better, and up to a year to be completely healed up and fused all the way.

Good luck with your appt. and decision. I opted to have my fusion while the kids were still out of school for more flexibility in the day schedule. If you have children and don't have local help, chosing surgery from Thanksgiving to Xmas might work out good for you. It's usually a 2-3 day in hospital stay and then the first two weeks, you'll need a lot of help. After that I was shuffling around and using my grabber alot. How long can he be home with you?

Melisa

• I'm sorry I can't give you much an answer as I am only a week post op myself. I had a laminectomy with a PLIF at L5-S1, with donor bone and hardware. I have a brace and a cane, but only use the cane when I'm out in the yard or have to go somewhere. I am ok, still painful and of course stiff, but gee it's only been a week so,I have to tell myself. :P
    Everyone is different in how they heal, so it's hard to say but positive thinking and a good attitude go a long way towards a good recovery.
  • It is best to ask your NS when you see him. They usually can give you a rough estimate, but of course at the time of the surgery when he had seen your spine close-up, he may revise this time. Everybody is different, but on the average, providing everything will go well, hopefully you either be recovered or will be on the mend by next September.

Good luck with your appointment,

Kin
  • It is best to ask your NS when you see him. They usually can give you a rough estimate, but of course at the time of the surgery when he had seen your spine close-up, he may revise this time. Everybody is different, but on the average, providing everything will go well, hopefully you either be recovered or will be on the mend by next September.

Good luck with your appointment,

Kin
  • im 36, and yes i have kiddos. 17,14,12..all boys.

they were my lifeline in 2007. hubby was in iraq and they had to do all the cooking, my laundry, cleaning. they are such good kids.

once they figured out what was wrong with me, (spinal stenosis) the NS used a Red Cross msg to get my hubby home within 4 days and i had surgery within a week.

hubby is getting 2 wks off at Christmas so i was thinking of trying to schedule it for the week or two prior to that and having him take leave, then he would only technically miss 1-2 wks but be home 4 wks with me.

thank goodness my kids arent small anymore and i dont have to work outside the home.
  • I had PLIF L4-5, tomorrow will be seven weeks ago. I am a single mom to 2 teenagers, and we are managing just fine at this point. I do not feel 100% yet obviously, but I am able to drive, shop, keep the house up (sorta) with their help. Still a long ways to go to feel normal, but hoping to go back to work in 5-7 more weeks or so. Will find out 1 week from today if I am fusing yet. You are doing good to get yourself well prepared and informed. Goodluck, Sue
advertisement