Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

anxiety

dmoonchildddmoonchild Posts: 383
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Pain Medications
I was prescribed klonopin after my car accident in 2006 doe panic attacts. I get them when Im a passenger in a car. I go anywhere. I have been noticing alot of memory loss from this med and my husband has said I act loopy. I am seeing my PM doc tomorrow and was going to sk for a substitute. Any sugestions? Im also having alot of general anxiety as I am going back to work on Monday, we are strapped financially. I am taking 20 mg lexapro but that really doesnt do anything for the anxiety. any suggestions would be appreciated.
advertisement

Comments

• But, I can tell you I HAVE THE SAME ISSUE!! 3 MAJOR car accidents, all before the age of 20. I was a passenger in all of them, and have the WORST passenger seat anxiety.

I take klonapin for it, but its a very small dose, and doesn't make me loopy at all. Just makes me a little sleepy. Maybe you need your dose decreased a little? I only take 0.5mg Does the trick. I haven't tried any others, so sorry no advice for you there.

Good Luck!
    Amanda
  • Xanax is a milder drug of the same class of drugs - you might ask if that would be a bit better for you. I take it for panic and unexplained heart palpitations. It works fine for me. I usually only take half of a 1 mg tablet and it's sufficient for easing the panic or the chest flutters.

Linda
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • I used to take klonopin for a muscle relaxer and general anxiety. It didn't make me loopy acting, but it shot my memory all to pieces! I have been off of it for a couple of years now and still suffer from short term memory loss... I'm only 40 but feel like I'm 80! I'm not sure if it is from the klonopin, but that is what I attributed it to.
  • At least not from the Klonipin! I've been on it for almost 20 years and it still works great for me. I take the 1mg, as Amanda suggested, maybe a smaller dose such as .5mg. All you have to do is break you tablet in half, if it is a tablet of course. I have tried a couple of others but didn't like them. Xanax put me right to sleep and my panic attack came back after 1 hour. Try a lower dose and see if that helps. It's funny how med's effect everyone so differently. Good luck! Panic attacks bite the big one!
    Jewels
  • me also....car collision 2004, I take ativan for anxiety. Still very tuff to ride in vehicles....
  • I'll keep my reply short this time. Yeah, maybe try one of the other benzos, like ativan, zanax, or valium. I had memory loss with ativan, but not with my klonopin. Maybe ativan would work for you? You've definitely got options, dont worry! They are all cheap generic too. I tried the lexapro and don't think it worked, but others around me said they saw a 25% or so increase in my overall appearance of happiness and being 'ok', if that means anything. Make sure when you experiment that they give you your klonopin AND something new to try, just in case the new one doesnt work well and you have to revert back until next month. Take care.

JWM
  • I acually forgot to ask my Pm about it yesterday but I do have a funny story about my memory loss. Last night my husband was listening to his new Ipod. I said, Where did you get that? He said YOU......you said I could buy it when we were at walmart the other day. ( yes I had taken a klonopin before we went). So then he says Lets go to Best buy this weekend for a flat screen TV....just make sure you take a pill before we go. /:) I think Im just gonna lay off it for now till our next visit.
  • Go with ativan If your on the 1 mg klonipin, just pop a 2 mg ativan and your set its shorter acting or look into xanaxthough ativan is cheaper i believe if your strapped like the most of us.
advertisement