Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lumbar now Cervical? Who else

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all

I had a 2 level ALIF in March with great results. Back to my normal self! Until about 4 weeks ago when I woke with what I thought was a stiff neck except that it still feels stiff. I have good range of motion. Then the next week my bicep was aching so much it hurt to move my arm. Then my wrist and elbow. Now all of them ache off and on and my neck still feels like I slept on it wrong.

I go to my surgeon on Wed. Not sure what he will say! My pain is not constant but occurs daily. It can be mild to severe. Has anyone else with lumbar had this happen? I wonder if I have done something to my neck during my fusion recovery.

Anyone with any insight would be very appreciated!
advertisement

Comments

• I am going through exactly the same issue. I thought, also, that it was just the way I was sleeping or compensating for the lumbar work done on me.

My neck is stiff, but nothing really hurts; rather there is a persistent tingling from top of bicept to finger tips. There has a been a slight bit a feedback loss (I cant tell how hard or soft I am holding something).

Anyways, I got a neck MRI done on Saturday morning and have a doc appointment next Monday.....

Hopefully it is something minor for both of us.

Best Wishes,
  • Would you believe it that I have been experiencing the same stiff neck, twice since my lumbar fusion in May? The first incident lasted about a week, then got better and my arms and fingers felt fine, no pain or tingling there. Then a few days ago the same thing. It seems better now, so I keep my fingers crossed. I have been wondering if since the surgery I am sleeping in a different position that may put stress on the cervical area. Or that I miss my exercise classes, when we always did neck and shoulder rotations. So I started doing these on my own, see what happens. I would appreciate it though, if both of you would post the outcome of your visit with your doctors.

Let's hope all is well!

Kin
  • I will post after I go to the doctor.

I personally think it warrants an MRI due to history with my spine. Mine is not going away. Not horrible but enough that I have tried heat, ice and Motrin with no relief.

I can't even entertain the thought of another problem. I delt with the lumbar for years before the surgery. I tried everything to get rid of the pain and avoid surgery to wind up with it anyway.

I so hope that this is nothing and that we are all just experiencing some kind of recovery issue!
  • i'm supposed to get a lumbar fusion early next year and you people are scareing the hell out of me i'm already in enough pain without more in differant places please tell me this is not a common side effect, try fixing one thing and screwing up something else ~X( @)
  • Have you ever been checked out for spondylitis? because thats to do with the neck, how can i explain, ermmm its abit like scoliosis but in the neck.
  • Yep, I have had intermittent neck pain, stiffness, and sometimes wake up with my right arm and last 2 fingers on that side tingling. I have been trying a different combination of pillows to sleep, going to a weekly massage, and would like to go back to my chiro for a neck adjustment, but kinda doubt he or my surgeon would go for it. I have been thinking it is getting aggravated from the way I sleep, staying in one position longer as I box myself in with pillows so as to not twist in my sleep. Also, looking down at this laptop is probably not the best idea either. As you read through the signatures on SH can't help but notice that many people have problems both cervical and lumbar. Perhaps if we are at risk for one, we are also at risk for the other. Good-luck everyone, hopefully it is just a temporary occurence that will improve as our lumbar areas heal. Sue
  • I started out that way. We knew it before my PLIF. It was discovered in all the MRIs. It flares from time to time but I'm going to try to steer away from neck surgery unless it gets worse- much worse. It has been in my mind a lot... the is it going to?
  • I have had cervical fusion a couple of months ago but before I had problems with my neck I had low back pain for years. I got my neck fused and went back to the doctor a few weeks ago and now I have to have back surgery to stop the pain in my low back and leg. I am not sure if he is goin to shave the disc or if he is going to fuse again. I do know that when the disc in my neck went out it hurt so bad that there was not a doubt in my mind that I needed surgery. I have had 8 injections in my low back and it still hurts to put my shoes on in the morning.
  • I had the same thing Had lumbar surgery 2xs then cervical fusion. Wonder how common it really is to have cervical and lumbar spine issues. I also had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands that was an effect from the spine diseases. Wondering if that is common.

Maybe an EMG test or CT meylogram could tell you more.

Good Luck
    Paula

• Ok so here is my update on the neck stiffness..

They did a quick film and C6/C7 shows that the area is smaller indicating that there possibly could be a herniation that needs to be ruled out. So I am having MRI Monday and will be seeing doctor as soon as it is over to review. Hopefully all is good but at this point I just want to know if something is brewing.

My arm pain comes and goes and seems to be worse as the day goes on and in the wrist and bicep area. Over the last couple of days my shoulder area is really aching.

Any cervial people who could share experiences would be very welcome! Thanks!
  • I had a level 2 fusion done on my lumbar area...L4-S1 to be exact. I have had tendonitis in both wrist and arms for years. But now since my surgery..I wake up in the middle of the night will both hands and arms asleep....and a mild stiff neck:(

I really hope it is just from my tendonitis;(!!
  • My surgeon reminded me that if my lumbar discs were showing DDD, that DDD wasn't selective, that all my discs probably looked the same. I'm having more neck problems as well since my fusion, but I've had past episodes with my neck a long time ago before my lumbar. I won't be surprised if my neck gets worse later, just hoping it's later instead of right away as everyone does.

ARGH! I want a new body!
  • With my cervical herniations, primarily my pain has been (or rather HAD been) in my right shoulder. Sometimes reaching up, down or across causes this awful stabbing, burning along the clavicle. Not to mention the tightness, OMG it's awful right now.
    I'm in physical therapy and it seems like lately I'm hurting in more areas than before before I started treatment and it really concerns me. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
advertisement