Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Moving/Swinging Leg causes such pain in the foot but no other

petite39ppetite39 Posts: 17
I don't have back or leg pain. But my right foot is in so much pain when I move or swing my leg. I had an MRI done and they said I have a bulge at S1/L5. I had a discectomy/lamectomy there 2 times last year. Now I'm undergoing transferaminal injections. I had my first last week and the results were only promising the next day. I've gotten worse ever since. Has anyone ever had residual foot pain with no leg or back pain? This has been going on since last year with no relief.
advertisement

Comments

• Hi petite,
    I woke up with numbness and pain in my foot after my first surgery and it got worse after the fourth one too. Nothing changed with it on number 2 and 3. I just got an MRI on my ankle and foot and am having an EMG. Neurologist did only the first part last week and told me to come back to have the next part cause he needed to think over the results. So now I wait. L5/S1 nerve roots control a lot of area of the foot. What is a transferaminal injection? Did it take the pain away? Do you have burning or sensitivity with the foot? Specific areas of the foot or the whole thing? Just kind of curious. My back and hip are healing nicely. Just need the foot to do the same.
    Julie
  • Where they target giving the steroid injection to a specific nerve root. They found that I have a bulge in L5/S1 so and with the foot pain they feel S1 and L5 nerve roots may be inflamed. It's just the right outer portion of the right foot. from the little toe to the heal and it runs down the side and under the foot. The pain is mostly burning. Sometimes stabbing like someone is cutting me open. But 99% of the time it's a burning pain. I have no back or leg pain so I just don't understand why the foot pain won't go away. I'm hoping and praying these injections do the trick. But I've done so many things to try and get rid of this pain with no success.
  • It is where the S1 and L5 nerve roots end so that is why the pain. Have you looked at the pictures of Dermatomes for these nerve roots? That was interesting for me to know what nerves were causing the pattern.
    I hope they work too for you. Let me know if you would. When is the next one?
    julie
  • I had my second injection done yesterday. I rested all day and night. I went to work today and I walked without a limp today which is promising since I couldn't on Monday and Tuesday. They said it would take at least 2 days before I see any results. So I'm praying that when I wake up tomorrow I'll be a little more better. But I haven't stopped the gabepentin because I want to be able to at least walk without pain even if it means meds at this point. They said to call them on Monday with my progress. If I'm not making progress by then, they want me to postpone next Wed. injection for the following week to give this one more time to take effect.
  • I am glad to hear you are having more success with the second one. I hope it holds and that the third one will be even better. Keep me posted.
    julie
  • Sorry I haven't been on to keep you up to date. The injections did little to nothing for me other than put a lot of weight on me. I started decompression therapy and adjustments with ultrasound therapy. I've made littl improvement. I just think at this point, with all that I've read from people who have the same foot pain is all the same. It's going to take time for the nerves to heal. Accunpuncture didn't work, injections didn't work, so maybe at least the decompression therapy may not get me out of total pain but maybe enough for me to get off all the medication. I hate pills with a passion. How long has it been for you with the foot pain? Any improvement?
advertisement