Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

When is the BLT rule typically lifted?

inafixiinafix Posts: 158
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am 10 weeks post-op and started PT @ 8 weeks. She has me doing an exercise where my I am on my back with my knees up and I gently let my knees fall to the left and then to the right. She also told me to start bending down in my everyday life. She said to ease into it. I was really surprised and asked her if she was sure that it is ok and she said yes. I have been doing more and more bending and twisting but she wants me to continue taking it easy on the lifting. I have very little pain during PT but am usually achy and stiff/sore later in the evening. I am feeling stronger everyday and am very pleased with how I am progressing. Bending down is not a problem but I do bend my knees too.

I am just interested in what everyone else's guidelines have been like. I realize that every BODY is different and that all doctors have their way f doing things.

advertisement

Comments

• Yes, my NS said NOTHING until a year from my fusion, even then maybe not...not until it's totally solid, he said &he's figuring next summer for that,which would be 1.5 years from my surgery... (I had 2 priors within the same year as my fusion, so he's being ULTRA conservative I guess.)

Every doc is differnt, every case is different. I can do some gentle stretches, etc & I walk a lot. But still wear my brace while working & on my return to work slip he wrote; "NO BLT-ing, ever!" So.... I don't !

I'm glad you started this thread! Will be interesting to hear others' reports!

~Lakeside
  • At my 6 week appt my doc said I could start bending, lifting (under 40 lbs), and twisting. I've been through PT and can now twist fully and almost touch my toes when bending from a standing position.
  • wow Lakeside that is a long time. How is the pain- any at all? Do you work and if so have you returned?
  • My husband's surgeon no BLT until fused. Chris is a revision patient so this may be extra cautious. If you've been following his progress posted under... Chris' fusion... you will know that he broke the no BLT rule a few weeks ago and has been paying dearly for it ever since. Be careful. Terri
  • Terri, you can't be too careful, I totally agree & I guess my NS thinks so too...esp w/ any repeat spine surgery..that whole area is now compromised & very weak, etc.

If you have a "virgin back" then maybe your doc will allow some gentle movement earlier, but my NS said "Do you want a FOURTH procedure?!" Heck no!!

So no BLTing or PT until I totally fuse...like next summer I guess...! Altho I can & do use bending from the hip area & the "golfers bend" where you extend one leg out behind you & bend from the hip, like you're picking up a golf ball...but otherwise, NOTHING!

Yes, Inafix, I have returned to work (I teach 2nd grade) F/T but have restrictions/accommodations & a lovely class who helps me each day (as you know, you bend constantly when you feel OK) so it's been challenging to say the least. And yes, there is still a lot of pain, worse when I get home as the classroom is a great distraction..

Fusions are salvage surgery---the LAST thing you do when you just can't endure it anymore...so I just try to remember what I felt like last year, and on even the worst days, this is still the better option.

So if your doc says NO, then it's NO! He assured me that my flexibility will return later, that I can have PT later or massage later...things can be "worked on" once the fusion is solid.

As Terri says: BE CAREFUL!! It's just not worth more misery!

Best to all!

~Lakeside
advertisement