Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What time of day was your surgery?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Early morning? Mid-afternoon? Late afternoon?
Are you glad you had your surgery at the time of day when you did... or would you have liked it at a different time of day? Did any of you have a choice?


  • My surgery was scheduled for 7:15 am which means I had to be there at 5:45. Getting up at 4:30 to get ready to go was not fun. Especially for my parents who drove me. I woke up in recovery with lots of other people. I kind of wished it would have been at a less-busy time. I wanted in as soon as possible and that was it. I'm not sure if I could have asked for later.

    Was anyone else directed to bathe both the night before and the morning of your surgery? Extremely painful both times since I couldn't sit or stand. Ahhh those were fun times... ;)

  • Originally scheduled for 7:30 AM, was notified the week before that it had been changed to 10:30 AM. Was okay with me cause my arrival time changed from 5:30 to 7:00, got a little extra sleep. My surgery finished at 4:00PM, out of recovery after 5:00PM. Wasn't crowded in Pre-op or Pacu. Good-luck, Sue
  • I have been pushed back today until late afternoon.. I have to be there at 430, then the excitement begins at 6pm. Soooo not looking forward to that. Wait wait wait...lol. Has really thrown all plans off, scrambling at the last moment. I guess there was an urgent case, so I hope that person is ok!
  • Normally the more complicated cases are scheduled first, in case they go long. So if you are given an afternoon slot, that's a good sign that your NS doesn't expect any problems.

  • I was the first patient of the day. 7AM in surgery 5 1/2 hours and don't remember much about recovery. All I know was they were pumping blood back into me and my mouth was so dry. Had to wait for a room, finally got one around 5 PM. The single most upsetting part of the whole day was moving from the gurney to my bed...OMG that was rough.

    I was up walking 2 hours later...slowly and with a walker but I was walking. Had a 5 day stay.

    It's been 10 weeks and lots of ups and downs but going strong.
  • Shadow, I am so sorry your case is so late. Do you get to eat breakfast at least? I would have been frustrated with that. How many hours is your surgery expected to take? I was told 5-7, and it was 5, and I only had a one level fusion. It surprises me that some people like TerriJV's surgery was only 2 hours for 2 levels. If your surgery is long, it seems strange to start so late. Maybe you'll get lucky and get moved up a little. Good luck, I will say a prayer for you that you get through tomorrow with little stress and a successful surgery. >:D< >:D< >:D< Sue
  • My first one was 7.30 am (4.25 hour surgery). First surgery of the morning, which meant I did not have to wait during the day so that helped my anxiety and also meant that the operating theatre was at its cleanest (less risk of infection - yep, its true in many hospitals, the ORs get a thorough cleaning overnight - more so than between surgeries, so I am told).

    My second surgery was at 5.30 pm (2.5 hour surgery), and my anxiety during the day waiting was horrible.
    Keep positive!


    ...an old timer here and ex-moderator

  • but my Drs surgery slot is in the arvo so I went into surgery at 11.30am and came out the next day- not that I remember as I got to sleep the night through. They must have transferred me while I was asleep.
    I was the only patient of the day :))( had the surgeons undivided attention as he had the morning off.

    I got to have an early breaky -just Tea and toast and I was told to keep drinking till 8.30.

    Yes I too was told to bathe the night before as well as in the morning.
    Sara O:)
  • Hiya
    My operation was scheduled for 8.30 am.The nurse woke me at 5.30 am to prepare me for surgery, i was taken for a shower, then took back to my bed and was told not to sit on the bed, and had to sit on the chair. I am not happy with the whole experience anyway. :(

    Angie x
  • I was told it would take 4-6 hours. Yeah Im surprised too. The waiting is horrible. I slept for 5 hours and now have the whole day ahead to occupy, ughhh. Nervous as a turkey right b4 Thanksgiving!!!!
  • I was scheduled for first of the day: 7:00am. I was happy about that because it meant I didn't have to spend the whole day being nervous. Also, my brother (a cardiologist) said it is better in the morning; doctors are "fresh" and they usually scheduled more complicated surgeries first thing in morning in case they are longer than expected. Overall, I was happy with my time.
  • Mine was originally scheduled for 11 am.Received a call from my surgeon's office several days B4 surgery that it was "bumped " to 3 pm.
    Eventually rolled in the operating theatre at 7 p.m.!
    The best time for a surgical procedure is the very first case of the morning.
    Would recommend all of you pre op candidates to request this from your surgeon>
  • The hospital just called, the doctors first case is running longer, NOW I have to be at the hospital at 630pm... good god does the madness ever end? Tick tock....
  • Mine was scheduled for 7 am but didn't start till about 9 am. They had to get all of the wires hooked up and apparently that stuff takes awhile.

    I was happy for early surgery. I didn't get any real food the day before and no liquids after midnight so I was hungry.

    I came out of recovery and into my room around 3 pm and threw up for a full day :& (I was allegic to the pain pump meds). Only the nurses didn't believe it at first they thought it was the anestesia.


  • 7:30 am-I have to be at the hospital by 5:00 AM! Did not have a choice but I am glad that I got it done early-my surgery was 9 hours so I am glad that my surgeon was still "fresh" when he started!
  • Mine was scheduled for 7:30a.m. Arrived at the hospital at 5:30a.m, and wheeled into the surgical room at 7:20a.m. I'm SO glad mine was the first surgery of the day, I didn't have to worry about it the whole day and all that. They were originally going to schedule me 2 days earlier for a late afternoon, and I said NO WAY! lol

  • My surgery was scheduled for 7am, which meant being at the hospital at 5:45am, which meant hubby & I had to leave the house a little after 4am. But I'm always thankful to have early surgery due to the no food, drink, or cigarettes after midnight, so the less time I have to be awake means the less time I have to think about any of the above. :))( The o.r. was scheduled for 2.5 hrs, but surgery went so smoothly it was done in about an hour and a half, and I had a PLIF with hardware on one level.
  • mine was for 11 then he was running behind so it was like 12 or so. but i got such a headache/backache from no food etc they rushed me back to the pre op holding area and gave me meds they were awesome.
    my surgery was 2 hrs , in recovery for 1/1/2 with the bestest nurses ever then up to my room for some laughter and family.
    wanted to mention also i had one of the new air beds. every hour the thoracic/neck area raises up and down just like a massage so AWESOME... wish i could of brought it home i really need it now. lol
    other times im usually so out of it i do not remember anything.

    so like the others said it goes by the OR schedule not by choice.

    good luck ;)
  • was at 12;30 had to be at the hospital at 11;00
    I was so happy that I did not have to wait any extra.
    I finally got back to my room at 9;00 PM.... My surgery was 6 hours.. MY NS wanted me to be his last patient, so other people would not have to wait, because he was afraid of what he was going to run into when he operated on me, and he was smart, it ended up going 2 hours longer than he thought...
  • 2pm. We drove to the hospital that morning (4 hour drive), so that kept me somewhat mentally occupied. But waiting and not being able to drink anything was difficult....no coffee?! ~X( I tend to lose my appetite when I'm really stressed or nervous, so not being able to eat wasn't too bad.
  • I actually wanted a morning surgery before the surgeon gets tired, but the earliest slot was for early afternoon. When I expressed my concern to my OS, he said that before his vacation he had done a long surgery beginning at 5:00 p.m., and he was as alert as in the morning. So I agreed to the 2:00 p.m. starting time. Actually, it turned out good, as I am somewhat addicted to coffee and have a headache if I miss my morning java. The p.m. surgery allowed me to have a cup of black coffee first thing in the morning. This helped with the headache.

  • Thanks for the info. I was scheduled first for tomorrows surgery. I had Lumbar surgery in June, I was scheduled first and told surgery would only take 21/2 hrs to 3. My surgery took over 5 1/2 hours.
  • But I need to be there at 11am. No food after 7am (means I can rise early and have a good brekky) then no drink after 9am, so guessing surgery around 1- 2 pm

    Also, no idea on length of time for op - I'm rubbish aren't I?? lol

    Will ask on Friday at pre op and let you know

  • My first surgery I couldn't have anything to eat after Midnight, but I wasn't scheduled til 3:30pm. Got taken into surgery around 5:30 or so.

    This time I'm supposed to be there for 7:00am... Which is much better in my opinion.
  • for all 3 procedures, I was my NS "last case" of the day,which was great, as it gave me a pretty good night's sleep (thanks to Valuim & prayers) & since we live a few hrs from the hospital, all AM to wake up,shower, use my own bathroom for the last time :) & then get there, get nice & groggy &prepped, etc...then into the OR, knowing that he had all the time in the world for me only until then end of the day, for him also...

    After my fusion (4 hrs) I went into ICU (they told me all this as I was totally outta it!) then my room & actually slept/was drugged-out from Friday PM to Sunday..only remember little bits & pieces of surfacing towards horrendous pain, then going back into oblivion, etc for almost 2 days, until Sunday I "woke" to my NS hand on my forehead, pushing some hair away from my eyes & hearing him say, "You did well. I'm so sorry you have to go thru this. Now just sleep some more--I'll be back tomorrow."

    It still, now even after 9 months, makes me weep when I think of it all. The actualy time made no difference, in the long run: it was the comforting care I received & the dignity with which I was treated. I am (clearly) not yet over it all...sorry! :<

    Interesting thread! I had no issues w/ eating or not, as my appetite was gone b4, during & waaaay after, so they could have done it in the AM...but I am glad it was later in the day.

    Time for bed, now that I'm thinking of all this! Oh, that 1st night home is delicious, isn't it! No matter how well you're treated in the hosp...to be in your OWN BED again!

    Night All!

  • Had pre op today and the surgery takes 3 1/2 hours first one then 1 1/2 second one. I am due to arrive at hospital at 11am but the anaethetist today told me to have a GOOD breakfast before 7am, as the op is later on in the afternoon. I hope not too late, as I hate being hungry, but I'm sure nerves will kick in and take over the feelings

  • ..as surgery slows down your whole gut & the LAST thing you wanna do aferwards is have to push...the emptier, the better.

    B4 my fusion, knowing from previous experience how you just wanna lie there & NOT do anything, I "cleaned out" my system, then ate only clear liquids for 48 hrs b4 my procedure...man oh man, was I glad I did that!

    Nothing in---nothing out! The IV gives you everything you need, glucose-wise & believe me, you don't want to have to get up & try to move ANYTHING out...!

    Plus the opioids will cause a slow-down also, & you'll need those to get thru the 1st few days or week.

    Just my 2 cents. I didn't "go" for a week--but there was nothing in there....so as tempting as it may be to have a big dinner/breakfast B4, I'd say: save it for later, when you're home & have the time & privacy to get things moving again!

    (And you won't be too hungry afterwards anyway!)

  • I had not eaten since about 9:00 om the night before my surgery (at 7:30 am) and threw up for 2 days after my surgery-just from the anesthisia (sp)! I had nothing in my stomach-but kept getting sick-not fun!! I def. would not eat too much! I have not even heard of any doc letting someone eat before surgey-no matter what time it was.
  • You're sooo right, Shay...I forgot about the post-op nausea from the anesthetics, etc...the 3rd time I used Zofran b4, during & after surgery & thankfuly had no nausea...but after the 1st two procedures, I was sooo sick...in fact, the dural rupture after my 1st lammy was mostly due to the force of the nausea (also for 2 days) and my NS said it certainly could have contributed to my needing him to go back in there to repair the damage...

    So nausea is another issue that shouldn'be be taken lightly. Some docs RX Reglan, but that can have horrible side-effects (instant depression/paranoid thoughts/twitching/random extermety movements---& it didn;t even work for the nauses!)

    Oh what we often learn the hard way!

    My RX would be: no food after midnight, no matter what time you're scheduled, Zofran just to be sure & lots of rest. Worked for me, the 3rd time :)

  • From some of our UK friends here, I am getting the impression they let them eat closer to their surgery time. I would say standard here is at least 7-8, since nothing after midnight, and usually first am cases are started at 7-7:30. I have seen many a surgery cancelled/postponed cause the patient ate. I have even had a pediatric patient hide candy in their nightstand and sneak it. Makes the surgeons very grumpy :O .
Sign In or Register to comment.