Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

FREE PRESCIPTIONS!!!!!

backpainishellbbackpainishell Posts: 970
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Pain Management
Hiya,
I am so annoyed , there are people in the UK that get there presciptions for free. The point is that some people go and get the presciptions and and do not even take the medicine. this costs the NHS. Also doctors when prescibing pain killers such as paracetomal, i do not understand this as paracetomal are so cheap to buy. There is so much of NHS money waisted. I have just seen a programme about a woman who has cancer , and the drugs she needs are expensive, but she has to raise the money herself to pay for life saving treatment, this is wrong . If doctors made some cut backs surely the NHS could fine the money from somewhere , so anyone who needs life saving treatment, the NHS are in a position to treat them. Why cant lottery money be used , instead of the goverment putting lottery money into opening art gallerys after all they have so many millions spare. I chat with a lot of people on here from america all over the world, and hear there stories, i know there are some on here that would be so grateful of free treatment and free presciptions.I am just sounding off because this could happen to anyone.

Angie x
advertisement

Comments

• I get free prescriptions as Im a single mum, work full time, hsve a mortgage, father of my daughter refuses to pay maintenance (for over 8 years now) and Im so glad I get them free.

As for people getting them free and not even taking the meds, cant believe people would actually waster their time in getting the meds if they weren't going to take them.

And as cheap as paracetomols/ibrupofen are, I am grateful my dr gives them to me on prescription, it means I get to provide for my daughter without panicking I cant afford her lunch money as I needed some paracetomols/ibrupofen.

Not having a go at you, but just feel your thread is a bit judgemental and harsh on those of us who get free prescripions and need them as were on low incomes. Believe me they dont just give free prescriptions to anyone, you have to be on a fairly low income to get them, think you have to be earning under £15k as a singe parent (which I think is a joke) to get them.

Dont mean to offend by the way xxx
  • Hiya Sally-Anne
    No offence taken >:D< . I myself have a very low income and also rely on free prescriptions.Through no fault of my own had no choice but to give up my career. I went from a well paid job to having no job at all and living on £57 a week , talk about a culture shock or what. I understand what you are saying and also respect your opinion. But people like us who have worked and need help with the cost of medication should be able to get it. Just like the woman who needed medication for life saving treatment.I actuallt know people that do fleece the system , i just think its wrong thats all . :S

Angie x
  • I thought people in the UK had free health care,if they have free health care does that include presciptions?
  • Everyone has free health care, if you want to go private to get seen sooner then you have to pay.People who have low incomes dont pay for prescriptions, wigs, eye tests, eye glasses that sort of thing. But instead of some seeing a social security benefit as help when its needed, there are some people that just see social security as a way out for example not to go to work, just because they are to lazy. I was a single mom, and having kids and working and college (at the time when they were small)juggling my life it was hard but i was doing it for a better future. Some people just dont even bother , thats what annoys me .

Angie x
  • My parents live in wales and no matter what your income everyone gets free prescriptions. This morning there was another programme about health care. There was a man who has worked all his life paid his taxes, then he fell ill with a serious life threating illness. He has liver cancer, and the tablets that he needs cost £150 for each tablet. It costs him £30.000 a year for these tablets. I dont understand why is this medication available but not on the NHS. Its people like him i really feel sorry for. He is looking at elling his house to pay for treatment and when there is no money left his family will do the same, this is just so he can have that extra life span. But you know its people like him who are an inspiration to us all.

Angie x
advertisement