Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Strange question

Neck of Steel CindyNNeck of Steel Cindy Posts: 1,064
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I didn't know where to post this question because it doesn't really fit anywhere. since the problem happened after surgery, I picked here in this forum. I hope this is okay. I have never brought this issue up with my doctors, but I am finally brave enough to ask my doctor a question later today at my appointment. Before I ask, I wondered if any of you have this.

My muscles were severely weakened from the cord injury I had 2 years ago, and while I have had great improvement, I am still weak. Ever since then, I can feel little "knots" or "bumps" under my skin, and these bumps are very sensitive. I've been hesitant to ask about it because I wondered if it is just fat or something like that. I notice it more on the side of my body that was affected the most from the SCI. Is this some sort of a fibrosis of the weakened muscles? I have fibrocystic breasts, and it sort of feels the same. Just bumpy and tender all up and down my leg, and on parts of my belly. It is also on the other side of my body, but not as much, and not as tender. Just a strange thing. Anyone else?

Cindy
Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
advertisement

Comments

• I have no idea what it can be but I did want to tell you that it's really not such a strange or unusual question. At least not to me. I have noticed that I have these little knots under my skin on my tummy. They've been there for about 6 months that I know of. They don't hurt or aran't tender though. But I have to admit, they make me kind of nervous. I haven't told my doctor either but I'm going to wait until I have a good enough doc to tell. During my last surgery not only did they cut my back open again, but they also cut my tummy from my belly button all the way down. Huge scar! Is it from that, is ir fat, is it from cancer? I don't know! Their about the size of an eraser on a pencil or maybe even smaller. Does that sound familiar at all? Heck, maybe it's just age! If you find out anything, I would really appreciate knowing what it is, if you don't mind. Good luck, and it's probably nothing to worry about at all.
    Jewels
  • Do you get massages? I finally gave-in and started getting massages at the beginning of the year. I always thought it was pampering, but after my first visit I realized it was much more than that. When she massaged my back I could feel every painful little bump she was rolling across with her finger tips. I didn't realize they were even there. She would put pressure on each one as if to push it out towards the edge of the muscle. After months of this....only visiting her once a month...there are definitely fewer little bumps. I can't remember what she called them...lactic acid?...not sure if that's it.

If that's not the problem...I'm sure a certified massage therapist would be able to tell you either way.
  • The size of these little bumps range from about the size of an eraser, like you said, to about a half an inch. I can actually grip them and it feels like a little ball between my fingers. I really think they are something to do with being over weight, but I am finally brave enough to ask. I'll let you know what the doc says Jewels. I'm glad to hear I am not the only one concerned about them. Probably nothing, but you never know.
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Patricia--yep, those massages hurt sometimes! but this really isn't like when I have a massage and they "roll" the muscle or push on a trigger point. I could sure use a good massage today--I tried to get my husband to give me a good massage, but that only leads to him wanting me to pay him back in ways that I don't want to right now :O . lol. What is it about men that they aren't content to just cuddle and go to sleep... Hubby and I had an argument last night and I certainly don't want to have sex with him right now. (Gees, how did I turn this question into talking about hubby?).

Anyway, I am going to ask. Can't hurt to ask, and maybe it is something related to the muscle weakness, and if I tell the doc about it, this will help her to help me.

• I think I have these. I started noticing them over the last several months as I have been loosing weight. I thought they were just fat globules so have never asked. I figured my tissue was getting looser from the weight loss and caused them to be noticeable.

I am divorced, but I know what you mean about husbands and massages. My ex was useless for giving ONLY a massage. My massage therapist says you wouldn't believe how much wood she sees in a week (GROSS) :sick: ! Somehow touch = sex, NOT :T !
  • Hey Girls I think all of these subjects were hit on the head. If you even get a rub, it turns into sex and then the Bumps get bigger from the stress and the FAT!!!.... Cindy, I too am overweight and have some "bumpy Lumpies" I have lost quite a bit since Feb and dont notice them any more or less but do notice that some do hurt....I think the ones that hurt are mostly on my back and those I believe are Trigger points.....When I did clinical before my accident in 2004 I worked for a neurologist that would treat people that had migraines 1st by checking for trigger points....he would check the back and mark the spots that caused pain with a pen....he would then go back to the spot, clean it and inject lidocaine and a small amout of cortisone in them and the patient would get relief from their headaches as well....they were given Soma to take daily, some imitrex or other migraine med and then a small amount of pain meds just in case. We had more calls for them to come back for an appointment for the trigger points than we did for refills on the pain meds. I am sure that some are Lumpy Bumpys from Fat....but with all of your surgeries I would not be surprized if some were not trigger points as well.....Hope you get your answer and he can help you....

I sent you a PM with a question, when you have the time to answer. I thank you again for all of your help and support..... =D>

Thanks your friend
    Dee
  • Sorry Jewels and anyone else who was wondering. I had my appointment and we discussed several other issues. By the time she talked to me about my neck and test results, etc, my mind was a little overwhelmed. I'll post about that in a different topic. So I felt like the lumpy bumpys were the least of my worries today and I didn't bring them up. I'll have to ask at my next appointment. but it is comforting to know that I am not the only one curious about it.

Cindy
  • ...a good therapeutic massage that is not too strenuous is great for the back, and for the mind. Sooo relaxing. My wife isn't good at them, unfortunately, but living in Asia at the moment there are lots of reasonably priced massage choices (hey I am talking real massage, guys!).
    Keep positive!

Bruce

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• Cindy, I would check it out with the Dr even if you need to make a special appointment. I used to be a massage thereapist & aromatherapist before I hurt my back so I have massaged hundreds of people and never come across anything like you describe (not to my current memory anyway LOL)
    It could be lymphomas, lypomas, cysts or a dozen other things but if they hurt I say get it checked. Quite likely nothing serious but it is interesting that it is mainly on the surgery sude of your body.

As a massage therapist, I sure had my share of guys that wanted "the good stuff". :))( Boy that got tiring, even though I had "clinical/theraputic massage only" on my cards etc they still came in asking for the sex part. L)
    That is one thing I really miss since I hurt my back - the massaging not the sex (OK both) but I loved giving massages and feeling the client relaxing under my fingertips. Especially with the aromatherapy massage that was really gentle and nurturing. I)

Blessings Sara O:)

• Yep, I've heard about those Asian massages. You might accidently get more than you paid for ;)
  • ....in more ways than one!
    Keep positive!

Bruce

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• Bruce said:
    ....in more ways than one!

Now Bruce.......... =))
  • Cool! When did we get the quote feature? This is great! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
    haglandc said:
    Bruce said:
    ....in more ways than one!

Now Bruce.......... =))
  • Bruce, my nephew who was a Navy pilot had a name for it: "massage with happy ending!"

Kin
  • Neck of Steel said:
    What is it about men that they aren't content to just cuddle and go to sleep...

And for some reason we just can't stop loving them!
  • While in Korea, I distintly remember hearing

"Love You Long Time" alot.
advertisement