Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone tried NMT?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Alternative Treatments
Anyone tried NMT-neuromuscular therapy? I had it done yesterday by a massage therapist and I am really sore. Kinda feel beat up..and tired..It is supposed to help increase blood flow to nerves and muscles.. I am going to try it again next week but man am I achey and sleepy I) jade
advertisement

Comments

• The person that I will be seeing practices the St. John's Method of NMT. Hopefully I won't feel as beat up as you... that's not good.
  • namdog--not sure what method it is but I'll ask about the St John method. I guess she is going to OK to teach NMT at a seminar and I figure this too will pass as it is a different kind of pain..jade
  • We have a local rehab therapist who does the NST; I had slight improvement from the first session, but each one afterwards went downhill. I had severe nausea a couple of times, and my pain levels went through the roof several times (I ended up in the ER after the last session, so didn't go back).

I was extremely tired afterwards, and remember sleeping through the afternoons!

Tracy
  • Hi,

I believe that NMT is a variation of what I go for on a regular basis, Myofascial Release Therapy. It's my understanding that NMT can be a bit more intense than some of the other variations. I have also heard that it can result in some bruising, at least in the beginning. I would say from what I've read, it can be effective in the long run, and quicker than some of the other methods. I just prefer the slower, more gentle pace of Myo Release. Any good massage therapist or PT should assess each person based on his or her condition/needs.

I hope it gives you some decent relief. And as I look at it, you can always try a different variation, if this one is too much. Best of luck with it. I'd love to hear back from you after, as to how it goes. Take care, Mitzi

• tracy- I am not sure if NMT is the same as NST or not? It may be but I am not sure.??
    mitzi- well, my next treatment helped my neck some and my lt shoulder alot and helped with my headche. The low back actually hurt more on the right side so I am going to take a mini-break. And return in a few weeks as I know I need to get the blood flowing to help heal. @) jade
  • I can't find NMT anywhere when I google it; I have a feeling we're talking the same thing, though (is it also called Bowen Therapy?) Minor little movements where nerves are stimulated, then you're left alone for about five minutes while it "adjusts" to the new position?)

Mitzi, it is completely different from myofascial release; that is something that can really help or really hurt me....depends on the day! ~X(

Another treatment I did was active muscle release, and it was awesome. Unfortunately, it is very hard on the practitioner, and they don't tend to last very long in that "trade". I've never been able to find someone else in this area.

This topic is getting fairly old, but I thought it was a good one to keep going.

Take care, and good luck!!

Tracy
  • The MT went to teach in another state and I have not been able to ask her more. Now I am not even sure if she will return. :/ I will probably have to start again with a new person. I guess I will try again after the holiday.. :B jade

advertisement