Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Does anyone have teeth problems?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Chronic Pain
Does anyone have teeth problems that started when you started having chronic pain? My teeth seem to chip sometimes and I have broken some teeth. I see ads on TV about mouthwashes to strengthen teeth. Does this help or any ideas on how to get stronger teeth?.. :/ jade
advertisement

Comments

• hi,

i tend to clentch my teeth at night especially if i am in pain and i have had to get a mouth guard made. that might be something you could look into also.

hope this helps!

karenc
  • hi karen..It's been awhile but I had a dentist tell me he thought I grind my teeth. I must do it in my sleep as I don't recall anything in the daytime. As I remember, the mouth guard he talked about was expensive.
    I also have problems with increased cavities. I really dread going to the dentist. Don't know why I am so afraid??? :/ jade
  • This is one of the WORST problems that I have! I never had a problem with my teeth before my injury. But now? I have broken off or chipped away almost every tooth in my mouth. I've built some pretty big dentist bills over time. I have a very bad problem of keeping my teeth clenched 24/7. I have to force my mouth to relax and the second that I forget about it, my mouth and teeth are clamped as tight as can be all over again. I can actually hear it crunch a lot of the time! And BTW, I've always been and still am afraid of the dentist, even at 44. I'm getting to the point of thinking I would prefer to have dentures than to keep breaking my teeth. Keep in mind, this happens when I'm awake. The pain is just so darn bad that I keep my teeth clenched always. I've tried rinses to build strentgh but really, nothings helped. Even a nightgaurd wouldn't help because I'd have to keep it in all of the time. I'm sorry to know that it's happening to you and others but, at the same time I don't feel like I'm all alone in this anymore either. I also went from having decent eyesight to all of the sudden nedding bifocals when I was only 40. My eye doc said it was because of the trauma that happened to my spine. It's amazing how this effects so many different aspects of our health. I don't know how much research that you've done about chronic pain but, are you aware of what it does to your heart over time? Severe chronic pain causes stress and damages the heart which leads to heart disease at an earlier age. That's one of the reasons why pain management is so important.
  • I guess that I am not alone with this teeth problem. It does not help that I am terrified of the dentist. :SS I usually have to white knuckle the dental appts. :SS My PM dr has started checking my blood pressure. I went from ultra low blood pressure to borderline high. My dr asks me if I am under stress. :B I say no but duh, chronic pain is stressful....jade
  • They do have a generic mouth guard you can buy -- kind of like the ones used for sports. You heat it up and then it molds to your teeth. Then let it harden and you can use it at night. Might be an option if you don't have dental insurance or don't want to pay the steep price. I think you can find them by googling.

Linda

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • i tried the guards that you can do yourself first. i bit right thru it the first night! yes the guard is expensive but i got mine at a teaching hospital and was able to make payments on it. you might try that. also the dentist taught me a trick to break myself of doing that during the day. put your tongue between your front teeth just a little bit. if you start biting down you will bite your tongue and that will instantly make you aware of it and over time will break you of doing it at least during the day when you can control it.

hope this helps!

karenc
  • thxs jewels, linda, karen for the feedback. I guess I'll check into the sports guard but I know myself, I will not use it daily. Don't think there are teaching hospitals yet..not sure... But the tongue between front teeth, now that probably would stop any clenching, but ouch if I make a mistake. =P~ :''( jade
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,720
    among Spinal patients. One of the reasons is that while you are in pain, you have a tendency to be stressed and clamp down on your muscles, and at times your mouth.
    Now, this is NOT an official dental evaluation, but it is something I have observed over the years.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Tongue between the teeth thing, until one day my husband said while driving "what if we hit a bump" Don't want to bite your tongue!!

I've seen ads for a new mouth guard. Its supposed to be less intrusive than the sports kind. You can buy them at any pharmacy I believe.

Good ones at the pharmacy I think cost $40-$100 I don't think you really need to spend too much. To have one made at the dentist, that gets in the $500 and up range, and I'm not sure how much insurance covers.
  • ron--hmm, didn't even think about the pain aspect of clenching teeth..makes sense..
    amanda-- I haven't yet seen the TV ads for new mouthguards but I'm sure I'll see it as I spend alot of time watching TV. @) ... :) jade
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.