Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Thanksgiving Dinner, what is yours?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Lighten and Brighten
Hello Everyone,
I had a massive craving the other day for my traditional Thanksgiving dinner. I realize that all of you who do not live in the USA don't celebrate this but for those who do, I would enjoy knowing what is "your" traditional dinner. I've noticed over the years that many families don't always serve the same dishes as I do. Also, what is your absolute favorite dish and what is your specialty dish? All of mine is listed below. Very traditional! Plus, everything has to be made from scratch that goes on my table, that's just me.

On my menu I serve of course turkey, honey glazed ham, mashed potatos, fresh green beans with bacon that's cooked for hours, my famous sweet potato casserole, homemade cranberry-orange sauce, stuffing, gravy, dinner rolls, pumpkin pie and apple pie. A newer tradition is in honor of my mother in law who passed away some years ago and my husband loved this, a macaroni salad.

My fav and best dish is my sweet potato casserole with a struedal topping. Nobody wanted me to change from the usual version of candied sweet potatos with marshmallows but I finally got my way and came up with this dish. Now everyone always wants to know if I'm serving it every year! What a difference a dish makes!

So, what are you serving this year?

And BTW, after my dish was such a hit, I bought recipe books for all of my sisters, put this one into it and gave them all a copy for Christmas.
advertisement

Comments

• I am getting hungry just reading this..sounds yummy.
    I like most of what you mention for Thanksgiving and it always tastes better if mom cooks. I am a good cook but I hate the clean up part.. :$ .jade
  • My sweet potato casserole has a "struesel" topping, not struedel! And I have a vague feeling that I have left something out.
  • I hate the clean up! :''( X(
  • Yep, I got hungry just thinking about it while I typed! I feel like I can actually smell the dishes right now, yum..........

BTW, I can't believe how fast the two of you appeared! :D
  • no pecan pie? And you're in Texas? shame, shame!
  • You talk about food and I'm there. :D
  • I'm a "turkey baby" My mom sat through Thanksgiving dinner in labor, and didn't tell anyone!

All that you listed above are my favorites!! Especially anything pumpkin... Pie, bread, even pumpkin cheesecake, which in now my special dish...

No one in my husbands family likes sweet potatoes, so I cook them myself. My mom always made great traditional candied kind with the marshmallows. I'm working on my own version. I like the sweet potato casserole from Boston Market. Jewels, you should send me your recipe... I'd love to try it this year.

It's not Thanksgiving without the Turkey. We usually have 3 or 4 Turkey dinners. One with the parents, one with friends, sometimes with friends parents, and usually afterwards, I make my own, for the three of us. Even a week later.

I could do Thanksgiving dinner every month!!! My All time favorite day of the year!!!
  • As i am from the UK. I didnt know what darn meant well i do in english it means to sew socks, but american it means sumething else. Well you know what i say "GET THE DARN DISHWASER TO DO IT" lol =)) :))(

Angie x

Oops have i just swore :$
  • Christmas we have traditional turkey, i always cook far to much. we have turkey, stuffing,sausage and bacon wraps, mash potato, roasted potato, carrots, peas, sprouts, brocculi, runner beans, roasted parsnips. i plate the meat then the veggies are served in serving dishes, they all tuck in. Then for pudding they have a choice of trifle, xmas pudding and custard/rum sauce/brandy sauce, apple pie and ice cream, and to finish i do home made mince pies with liqueur coffee. They all moan its far to much but want to keep coming back each year. But not doing christmas lunch this year for everyone, because of my health .

Angie x
  • hi jewels i just finished a turkey dinner that my wife made and i was full until i read your turkey day foods mmmmmmmm good. we have a turkey sort of dinner about once every two weeks that lasts for about 3 dinners. We cheat when its not thanksgivin or christmas, we get a hot turkey breast at the market use box stuffin (wife make homemade apple/sausage/sage/etc on thanksgivin) cranberries, gravy, mash potatos, and dinner rolls. i love the yams with marshmellows on top of them (mom use to mske) but the wife does not like the sweetness of them. Last year i didnt have the marshmellows on the top thanks to our two german shepherds that helped themselves to the bag of them on the table while we were out and they ate the bag also! Things like that is why we named our little fishing boat
    "BADD DOG". good post! thanks
    GOD BLESS ALL,
    KC
  • Nope, not Texas, AZ! :D That's why I want to know what everyone else serves, it's fun to see the differences. But I have to admit, I am a serious fan of pecan pie. Yummy! =P~
  • Well, you've got a goos idea what that word means over here now, in the USA but it's still not a swear word. You dodged a bullet on that one. I would assume the F-word means the same in both countries so be sure not to use that one. :))(
  • I'll send you the recipe. I assume you were born on Thanksgiving day?
  • The day after (I believe) The 28th. Every seven years my bday falls on Thanksgiving.
  • Stove top, and canned jellied cranberry sauce. I know its horrible... But for me, its not Thanksgiving without it!!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,715
    As many of you know, I love to cook, my son is a chef and private caterer and in my spare time, I conduct wine tastings and provide education about wines. So food , cooking and wine go well in my family!

Now Thanksgiving, is really the one holiday where we go pretty
    straight.

- Turkey
    - Stuffing
    - Cranberry (ok one jelled out of the can, the other homemade)
    - Gravy

and various other assortments. For the past several Thanksgivings, we went minus the big family. Instead we had friends over or people that had no place to go. One year we had 2 of my wife's patients, another year, two mean from Puerto Rico who really had no place to go.
    That to me what Thanksgiving is all about - Giving THANKS

One year we did try something new.. A trudunken (spelling)
    Maybe Ben and Jeaux know about this. Its a Duck and Chicken stuffed inside a Turkey. We had it shipped up frozen from
    Louisiana
    It was different

Now my time to start cooking is Christmas!
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • what can I add?? Ben, you can come on over for our dinner cause we've always got the P-can pies!! My fav is the stuffing tho...omg soooo goooood!!!
    I think the only thing I haven't seen in here is a recipe my mom's nanna (her great-grandma) used to make that is now my responsibility cause I love it so much.
    Pea Salad, and it goes like this:
    2 cans sweat green peas, a block of sharp cheddar cheese, a large avocado, a small red onion, and mayo to make it all stick together.
    Not everyone's fav but I love the stuff! :D
    ~Lauren
  • I've had something similar but with frozen peas. Sounds pretty good right now!

My grown kids say the green bean casserole with french fried onions on top is a must. You know, the recipe on the french fried onion can?

My husband sometimes BBQs the turkey, but cuts it up for that. Yummy. But traditional is my fave.

When my MIL was still alive she would mail us home-made chocolate chip pecan pies. DH's fave.

Gawd I'm hungry now!
  • I'd forgotten the green bean casserole with those lovely little fried o's on top. And you're killin me with CHOCOLATE CHIP PECAN PIES!!!! =P~ Sounds way better than the Trader Joe's salad I just had. I've heard Marie Callendar's does a turkey dinner on their menu...too bad I can't sit right now or I'd hop in the car and have myself some cran salad and stuffin! Maybe they'd deliver it if I whined enough :?
    ~L
  • I dont wish to affend anyone, but can someone tell me what is thanksgiving? and what is the meaning of it ? Thankyou in advance :/

Angie x
  • Hiya dilauro, :)
    So as we are all devoted Spine Health users would it be fair to say we can all come over on Thanksgiving 8>

Angie x

Oh and thankyou in advance lol :))(
  • It's the day that Americans celebrate when the pilgrims first came to this country and had a feast with the indians. It's funny when you read about what was really served at that first Thansgiving dinner. Does anyone know that actual popcorn was on the menu? I realize my answer is a little simple here but if anyone would like to get more in depth, feel free to go ahead!

P.S. Chocolate Pecan pie is one of my fav deeserts to make, I LOVE it! :D
  • Hi Angie,
    I would like to know, what are bacon wraps?
  • You had me laughing sooooo hard at that one! =)) My cocker, in the picture, used to get into trouble just like that. Guess what? I cook turkeys about 3 times a year too. It's a great meat item and I love the taste. I also use the leftovers (white meat only) to make other things like turkey enchilada's. Yummy! To me, it doesn't have to be thanksgiving to eat some of the yummy's, I just don't lay out the whole spread.
  • That's what this is all about, seeing what everyone's tradition is. And believe me, there are a lot of people who don't even believe in homemade cranberry sauce. If it doesn't come out of a can and jiggle, then it's just not the same!
  • I know how to make the trudunken ( I think that's spelled right but not positive) but I've never actually done it, or tasted it for that matter. My sister has and she liked it. Did you like it or do you prefer traditional turkey? I also believe that everyone should be invited to dinner, especially those who have no where to go. That's the way that I was raised. We had people over for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Speaking of Christmas, wait until you see what my traditional dinner for that is! :D
  • It kind of sounds like quacamole with peas and cheese in it! I've never heard of this dish before, is it really good? Also, is it an old handed down recipe that is "normal" in the part of the country of which you live? Very curious!
  • My fav kind of turkey is a smoked one. Yum! We've barbecued them before but never for Thanksgiving. I want to buy a smoker, that is the best way to go!
  • Do you have a Cracker Barrel nearby by any chance? They have a pretty good turkey dinner on the menu, Thursday only, but it's good. Also, that is where I had my very first chocolate pecan pie! They make through the month of November. I make my own now but their's is wonderful! You'll have to try it! =D>
advertisement