Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Opinions Needed, Surgery candidate?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Pain Management
So, Im currently waiting to hear from my Dr about which surgeon she will refer me to. I have seen surgeons 2 years ago, who without even doing an exam or even greeting me, said I think you should try cognitive therapy, you are too young for this. X( Since then, I have seen numerous drs, tried everything natural and un-natural to lessen my pain. I had a baby girl in Dec 07. I am to the point now where I can barely walk. I was told 2 years ago that I had a narrowing of the spine, but with PT that would go away, which sadly it hasnt. You name it, I've tried it. I guess I am just praying that surgery is finally an option. I do have my first acupuncture appt tomorrow, as this is the last thing I have yet to try,but if my quality of life is deteriorating this badly, I am hoping he will consider me. :S I also have facet arthropathy so that could also be part of the problem. Thank you in advance for your opinions. :H
advertisement

Comments

• none here is going to be be able to say if you are a surgical canidate or not....since no one on this forum is a surgeon....
  • is it a narrowing of the spine or the disc spaces ? :S
  • bigcat. I was aware that no one on this forum was a surgeon. 8} I was merely trying to get some insight into surgery being an option. I was looking for opinions yes, but stated facts are pretty obvious. :>
  • It is a narrowing of the spine. Im crossing my fingers that more options will be available to me since a few years have passed, surgery included as an option. I know its not guaranteed to work, but its worth a try. 8> I guess im just wondering how surgeons determine who is a candidate, besides what is wrong with me, do they consider the other treatments Ive done and the length of time,or that my quality of life is declining. Thanks for listening! >:D<
  • They take the big picture into account as to whether there's a greater chance of causing more pain and problems by doing any type of surgery vs leaving things alone. They evaluate the structural integrity of your spine, the perceived degredation of your quality of life and perceived level of pain and ability to manage it. They also take other physical ailments or conditions into account as to whether there's a risk of surgical complication. They look at the type of surgery that might be needed and at the chance of success given your overall evaluation.

And more.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,740
    I have posted to similar threads on this subject many times.
    And as Cory says, no one here can really give you formal answers, all we can do is give our personal feelings and views about it. As always, contact your doctor for the formal medical answers.

Spinal surgery like almost any surgery is a very important decision to make.

1) Research, research and do more research regarding you condition, what the surgical procedures are.
    2) Understand the recovery period, whats involved and for how long
    3) Understand the pros and cons to the surgery. What does it mean if you DONT have the surgery? Can your condition worsen?
    4) What will the surgery mean in the long run? What will I be able to do or not do in the future?

These are just some basic areas to cover. Bottom line, the decision needs to come from you and your family after understanding as much as you can.

My personal view is:
    1) Once you have exhausted every conservative treatment (and perhaps more than once) and there is no change, surgery
    MAY be the only option
    2) Obtaining a quality level of life. To me that has always been the most important. Could I obtain this through medications and other non-surgical treatments? If I could, then no surgery.
    3) Impacts on your family. Many times, spinal patients look in to the impacts surgery could have on them. That is pretty much a given.. But what about the impacts to your family? When you go through surgery and are in recovery, you need the support and love of your family. And then later on, depending on what limitations you have you will need the understand of those same people.

Good luck and I wish that at some point you will arrive at the decision that is best for you
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
advertisement