Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bone graft how easy we forget

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all,
How easy it is to forget the pain from a bone graft.
Does anyone remember how long it took to start feeling better in that area??? I totally forgot. Mabye its the meds 8} 8}
With my neck it was only a week.
I forgot all about the spinal surgery last year go figure.
This time they took it from the left side from the iliac crest. Probably so they did not do more damage to my right side. Of course all you can do is ice and not one type of pain med takes that away. I know walking helps but of course that is a HUGE issue right now till we can figure it out..
Any comments welcome. >:D< :*
OUCHIE!! #:S
advertisement

Comments

• I'm 12 weeks post-op from TLIF. Also had the bone taken from the hip. Yep, it do hurt. Especially if you move the wrong way. Mines a lot better now and only grabs me occasionally. I do remember how much it hurt for the first few weeks after surgery. At times, that part hurt a lot more than the incision area! Hang on girl, relief is just a few weeks away!
  • ..for me, lasted about 5 months, the 1st three months really bad, like a constant ice-pick in there. He took 5 big slices, so maybe that was a lot--don't know the "usual" amount, but he did use the same incision as my fusion, thank God for that.

But it hurt like the dickens for a long time. Sometimes worse than the incision!

But then--it was gone..and now it doesn't hurt there at all anymore. ICE. ICE. and more ICE.

also itched like crazy!

But it's the Gold Standard, to have your own bone & marrow &that's the best site to harvest it from...so I consoled myself w/ that thought. Made it into "good" pain!

Time! Ice! It goes away.

~Lakeside
  • thanks you guys. it was probably a silly question but seriously i did forget from last year. i find the more i move around the house the better it is. and yes it does hurt more then the incision.
    plus i only have one insicion so i do not have to worry about 2 like for my neck WHEW.

TONS of pain now. still have to figure out how im going to get my walking in to. we still do not know whats wrong with my legs. going to a cardo dr to get a doppler reading done on them to see if the calicifaction i have is causing the severe pain.

sleeping through the night one good thing. something that did not happen last year. plus im sleeping alot during the day. whew what a vacation (|: I) I)

also ???????? i have numb toes. it wasn't there before surgery. hopefully it goes away in time. pretty scary.
    anyone have that happen. its just on the left side. i did have numbness starting in both legs before surgery but only when i put my legs up. this does not go away. stinks when your dr is on vacation for 2 weeks how dare he #o
    weirdddddddd :?? :??

anyways trying to hang in there. this is long recovery like i tell everyone else. and boy is that no LIE...

thanks again for your responses and i hope everyone is doing great or at least getting there
    >:D< :* >:D< :* >:D< :*
  • I was told by my Neurosurgeon and two Ortho's that they've actually found BMP works better and faster than autograft in lumbar fusions. I don't have a list of facts or studies, just repeating what I was told. Lol. Who knows? My dr. is using BMP but I'm happy about that because I'm being cut in the front and the back in the same surgery already.... I'd like to skip another incision if possible. Lol.
advertisement