Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Laundry/Housework ideas

manaleriemmanalerie Posts: 547
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Water Cooler
So since my epidural, my spine has been feeling GREAT. I went to PT yesterday, and he said he wants me to do NO bending at the waist, for at least another week. Even though I am feeling good.

So, since I have been feeling better, I've been trying to get some of this darn laundry caught up. Its all over the floor in my hallway, and I am trying not to bend over to pick it up.

Tough spot I'm in. Just wondering if anyone has come up with any clever ideas on how to get stuff like this done.

This is what I've come up with so far (works pretty good)

I made a game of it with my son. I sat on the floor, sorted the clothes into piles, and handed him some to put in the washer. He would put in a few, and run back to me for more. After doing such a good job with helping to do the laundry, he gets a sticker. Don't know how long this will last, but toddlers seem really content helping with Mommy chores, so I'm crossing my fingers :D
advertisement

Comments

• Let ur husband do it,it probably woudnt hurt him like it could hurt u in the future
  • sounds like you got it down pat.
    let him help you empty the dishwasher too he can put the tings on the counter and teach him how to put the silverware in the right places my granddaughter helps me with everything when she comes over,and she loves it. now my grandson that's another story, he just wants to play on puter or the WII.
    after granddaughter and I get down picking things up she loves it cause we sit down and she gets to drink green tea out of grandma's ladybug cup. hug Patsy
  • My two year old can only help so much... it only takes a few minutes for him to get sidetracked, and start chasing my dog around the house!!

I try not to ask my hubby for help, though I should ask more often. I just feel so bad, to have him come home from a 16 hour day on the road, and start doing chores. I just hate doing it.

He has been a big help, which I appreciate a lot. He's been coming home, and taking CJ to the park, or in the office to play video games
  • my grabbers, they can do so much. I had cervical surgury so I can bend a little bit more but cant reach... My husband has been great with stuff, I am just more picky than him and I hate not doing anything,,
    You can buy the grabbers in any pharmacy or store, they really are a life saver, I got some other stuff from PT in the hospital but its not nearly as helpful as the grabbers,, You can only pick up one item at a time but what the heck,
    good luck to you
  • amanda- Can you squat to pick up clothing and use your knees to bring your body back up? That way, you don't bend at waist..just an idea..??

I sort clothes while seated on the floor (cushioned) and if my back hurts too much I get up and stretch my back. I have many different baskets for each load. I get them from the dollar store..I then put empty baskets up on the dryer and washer and transfer the next 2 loads to do by then throwing them up into it... Swoooosh...That way I avoid heavy or awkward lifting. I get help getting stuff out of dryer or I will fold on top of dryer.. @)

I also have laundry supplies easy to reach and smaller bottles as lifting the big detergents are too heavy for me. :< .jade
  • For Laundry I have a chair pushed up against the wall (face in) with my hamper sitting on the chair with the bottom of the hamper on the chair and braced against the wall so that it's at a nice angle and height for me. (so the hamper opening is resting on the back of the chair staring me in the face)

Instead of grabbers which can be weight limited, I have two super secret devices to pick things up off the floor, from the bottom of the hamper and out of the drier. One is a 2 iron from my golf club set that is collecting dust and my favorite is a large pair of BBQ tongs (the kind that is metal with the pull tab lock on the end).

With this setup I can pick up all laundry from anywhere, and even grab those pesky drier sheets that fall on the floor when I transfer the clothes from the drier to the table to fold.

"C"
  • Those are some cool tips, thanks alot!!

Evelyn :)
    Had PLIF in 2008 and a Laminectomy. One level fusion, L4-L5.
  • Now if I could just get the motivation to fold all these clothes!! My couch and recliner are covered!!
advertisement