Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

broken implant

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi!

I just recently had lower back surgery, in July. A couple weeks after the surgery I got a call from the doctors office stating that the pre-op exray of the chest showed that the metal plate that was inserted in my neck in 1992 had broken in half. I can't seem to find any information about this problem. I was wondering if anyone had heard anything about this or knew anything to help for this problem.

Thank you.
advertisement

Comments

• Sorry to hear that happened. I have never heard of the plate itself breaking but the screws themselves or the bone around braking off. I would assume they will have to remove it. But once you are fused you don't need the hardware any longer. Keep us posted on what they decide.
  • My surgeon told me the cervical hardware always stays in....it is never removed. Believe me I have asked several doctors this question and had the same answer each time. If it is broke they will probably have to go back in and repair it. Are you having any symtoms in the neck area?

Sharon
  • I have not heard of plates breaking, they are fairly thick today,about 1/8 th of an inch. I had one removed from c5-c6, c6-c7 to make room for a new plate at c3-c4, c4-c5. My surgeon told me that I didn't need the plate on the lower two levels because fusion was doing well and once that happens the need for the hardware(plate) is gone. Perhaps they won't remove it unless it is or can cause more problems for you. Good luck and hope it all works out for you.

mark
  • Thank you all for your comments.I have contacted the doctor
    that did the surgery about two weeks ago,but thay have not responded yet.I know that the plate is just there to stabilize untill the fusion is complete.I read that there might be a chance for an infection.I have some pain in my neck and upper left arm,but not much.
  • i had c1 c2 fusion sept o9. i am getting wired popping and creaking sounds. slight pain in different areas of my neck and i am worried that the hardware is broken somehwere. i had posterior fusion . . .twice . . .hell of a surgery . . .and i have been wearing hard collar since. how would u know if screws rods or wires are broken?? any symptoms?? i am going for x ray tomorrow to make sure all is ok.
  • Is there anyone out there who can tell me if it is normal to still have persistant moderate pain including pain in lower posterior neck kinda between shoulder blades-only a little higher. I was getting up out of the chair a couple days ago a felt and heard a slight pop in the same area of my neck that had popped and grinded before surgery. I had 2 level fusion c5/6 and c6/7. Could the plate or srews be messed up? I have heard this is common. Also, I hear some people have to have a second surgery. Does anyone know why?
advertisement