Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Co-worker stole my pain medication

Shine OnSShine On Posts: 87
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Pain Medications
Hi all,
I work for a large corporation and today I had two people approach me to tell me that they caught one of our co workers in my desk drawer, in my purse, taking my pain medication. I only carry two bottles in my purse, one bottle of Vicodin and one bottle of Percocet. I took it to HR and they are handling it. The lady that took them is on pain medication for a surgery she had so I'm assuming she is addicted. I am considering pressing charges against her, does anyone have any advice?
advertisement

Comments

• She was taken to HR and was there for about a half hour, then came back and worked for about 45 minutes and then it was time for us to leave. If she was going to be fired they would have walked her out. I'm furious!!
  • I wouldnt press charges personally, but I would absolutely expect that HR would do something rather drastic.

If HR does not do anything, I would imagine she may very well quit because of shame / guilt in everyones face and actions... I dunno, may just be me.

Hope you come to grips on this one, it's a toughy

Bwst wishes,
  • Thanks Bigcat90, great information.
  • You're right strayl, not an easy decision but I don't think HR is going to do anything drastic, she would have already been gone and no one will really know, except for the two witnesses and a few others, we have to keep quiet about it or risk getting fired ourselves. So, do I allow ANOTHER person to get away with this sort of thing. I am so tired of people getting away with crap!!!! I need my medications, I can't afford to have someone violating me like that and putting me at risk. Sorry to vent but I am so furious over this, I have worked with this woman for 10 years!!!
  • I would absolutely inform the police of the theft and press charges. No question about it. The ripple effect is far to wide to ignore.
  • I agree Bionicwoman, HR asked me to wait until they talked to her to press charges and I told them I would respect that request. I stopped by the police station on my way home tonight to just ask how I would do this and they just said to call them from work tomorrow, that way the witnesses would be there to give there statements etc. I just can't let this one go, she took approximately 25 pills from me!!!!
  • she sure did. Again, she took approx. 25 pills from me, over a 1 week time period.
  • and I have given that a lot of thought. I obviously can't prove exactly how many etc that she took BUT I feel like I need to atleast file the report, if nothing else, to protect myself and to hopefully wake her up.
  • Can you at least lock your desk drawers? Lock your purse in your desk? Sucks but may be the safest thing in the meantime.

I would ask HR what they intend to do, you have a right to know.
  • Funny thing is, I do lock my drawers about 99.9% of the time. I usually get to work about a half hour early every morning, today that was the case, I had just put my purse in my desk drawer and walked away for about 2 minutes. Now that I know about it, I can look back over the last 2 weeks and see red flags everywhere. She has started to come in early, like me, and she has become extra sweet to me. She was obviously watching me, she sits about 5 feet from me, so not hard to do. I'm not going to take my meds to work anymore, I will lock them in my glove box from now on.
  • Paulgla,
    My direct supervisor mentioned today that if the company does not fire her, she will definately move me or her for that matter. This is not going to be an easy situation. Don't let me forget to mention that her daughter also works for the company and sits about 3 rows away from us =(
  • I'm off to try and get some sleep and forget this awful day! HR guaranteed that they would let me know their decision so tomorrow should be interesting - I hate this! I am almost positive that I will file the police report, I have this feeling that if I don't I will regret it in the future. Not to mention, she needs a wake up call.
  • This is an awful thing to have happened to you Lori. I am sorry you have had to go through all this extra drama.

But, I also feel sorry for this woman as she must be desperate to be doing something like this. I was trying to imagine what her life is like, keeping her eyes out at every opportunity to try to steal some meds.
    She obvioulsy needs at the very least some councilling and I really hope that your company reconises that and assists her (and everyone else along the way) in dealing with her addiction.

Big hugs to you and I hope you get a good nights sleep.
    Sara O:)
  • take a minute and consider this woman,
    yes she done wrong but it is obvious she has an addiction to the pills,and yes she defo needs help.
    but seriously does she really need to loose her job over this???????? is a caution not enough??????
    put youself in that position .....money is tight for all families at the minute with the way things are going in this world.
    you say her daughter works there also so the woman obviously has a family to care for think off the family with no money....no bread and butter on the table....how sad is tht????
    for children to suffer over a mothers addication is a sad state of affairs.
    the daughter who works for the same company must be mortified poor child.
    give a little grace.
    just my opinion.

LOVE PAULA
  • we all have the right to our own opinion and i guess we need to agree to disagree on this one!!!

christinaity is a big thing in my life and i believe that we all make mistakes and we all have a right to forgivness.

LOVE PAULA
  • I am Christian too, I forgive people all the time. but from what I see this has nothing to do with forgiveness, oh I feel Lori should forgive her for stealing the meds but this lady that took the pills has to know she cant keep doing this and a slap on the wrist prolly is not gonna stop her from stealing again.she needs be forgiven and punished because I believe people who steal like this are not gonna stop.

example an alcoholic has a problem I'm not going into all this but this lady has a problem with stealing maybe its just stealing pain meds maybe its just stealing in general, I can forgive her but she needs help before she gets hurt or someone else does. bottom line,
    just my opinion, Patsy
  • people need to hit rock bottom before they realize they have a problem....and when you are at the bottom there is only one way to go and that is up. Filing a police report and making this woman face the consequences of her actions may be the very thing to save her life....just my opinion. Oh yeah , you can still forgive her even if you go through with the police report. Take care....Miki
  • you summed it up very well! patsy
  • Who is going to look like the drug seeker? Lori is because she is out of her meds super early and is coming into her doctor's office with a crazy story of someone stealing pills. Yes she may have the reports from work...but lets face it - if Lori (I am only using an example here) was an addict and needed a really really good story for her PM as to why she needs meds - this is it.

My sister is an addict and I have seen the hoops she jumps through and the lies she manifests. She will say ANYTHING to make everyone around her believe that SHE is the victim. I've seen it time and time again. And she would go as far as filing reports and whatever other paper evidence she would need just to justify her reasoning.

Even in my pain contract - they put scenarios in there such as -
    -you will not open pills over a toilet
    -you will not put pills where they can be 'stolen'
    etc etc.

Again, I am NOT saying his is Lori, I am saying that the one that is ALSO going to pay the consequences from this is Lori's Doctor's 'trust'.

So on one hand, yes, the humiliation may a some form of punishment, but Lori is the one that is really going to suffer here too. She is innocent and she may have worked hard to keep her doctor's trust and poof, just like that - it has been taken away - no matter what the circumstance is.

Just my 2c.

Alina
  • Good morning to all of you. What great opinions, and I respect each and every one of them. I have already forgiven her, I am probably one of the most forgiving, kind people there is - maybe why she chose me? One thing I left out was she is retiring in December to take care of her 7 year old grandaughter full time!!!! Her husband is very stable and makes over 100k per year, she has made many comments that her income is just play money. I have known this woman for 10 years and considered her somewhat of a friend, knowing her that well, I know for a fact she will NOT tell her husband what happened because he would'nt stand for it. If my company doesn't fire her, she will literally walk right on doing what she is doing. I would almost guarantee that her daughter doesn't know either. She is already on her own pain med prescription so her family wouldn't think much about it ya know. They need to know that she is actually stealing drugs from someone, then they can see the addiction and reach out and help her. She is starting rumors around already that I'm the bad guy, to protect herself, telling everyone lies. I just feel that filing the report will get her the help she needs. She is a nice lady, outside of this problem, I would do anything to help her or anyone with an addiction. Okay, I'm rambling. I have to leave for work now and go tackle the horrible day ahead of me. If you could all say some prayers for me, I'm going to need all the strength I can get. This is so hard for me, I don't WANT to file the report but I believe God puts us in certain situations for a reason, the two ladies that caught her in my purse feel the same way, we all feel like we need to take that next step so that her and her family will know she is at rock bottom and get her help. Our company has great benefits and she would get it free of charge!!! I hope you all have a fabulous day!! I'm off =(
  • I wish you the best today and always and I will definitely say a prayer for you.....

Alina , you bring up an excellent point.....Lori is the innocent one here and what has been done to her is extrememly cruel and unfair.

Hang in there Lori and remember that we are all here for you.....take care....Miki
  • I agree that a crime occurred and someone needs to be held accountable for it. The mere fact that someone went into a personal workspace and took something out of a purse without permission from the owner would be my focus. What was stolen is secondary.

As has been pointed out, we really have no idea why this employee stole the drugs. For the thrill, for a buzz, due to addiction, on a dare ... we really don't know. Nor are we ever likely to. If addiction is an issue, then has been nicely pointed out, this could help this individual hit bottom a little faster possibly. Usually loss of job is one of the big bottom bringers.

One thing that I don't recall reading yet, and someone correct me if I missed it please... Lori do you have a pain management contract where you are held accountable for the number of pills you have? If you do or if you have a finicky doctor, a police report about the stolen drugs is something you needs to have.

Okay, that's my $.02

"C"
  • New Olympic event ... Synchronized Forum Typing

I guess Lori, Miki and I were practicing this morning.

"C"
  • If I was Lori I would leave it in Gods hand, then what should happen will happen....my opinion
    I have done this (give it to God)many times in my life and he always takes things over for me when i can do no more on my own. smiles from patsy
    I could go on and on but someday I'm gonna write a book.haha
    Patsy
    p.s.Lori hope your day at work was good!
  • A farmer is in Iowa during a flood. The river is overflowing, with water surrounding the farmer's home up to his front porch. As he is standing there, a boat comes up, The man in the boat says "Jump in, I'll take you to safety."

The farmer crosses his arms and says stubbornly, "Nope, I put my trust in God."

The boat goes away. The water rises to the second floor. Another boat comes up, the man says to the farmer who is now in the second story window, "Jump in, I'll save you."

The farmer again says, "Nope, I put my trust in God."

The boat goes away. Now the water is up to the roof. As The farmer stands on the roof, a helicopter comes over, and drops a ladder. The pilot yells down to the farmer "I'll save you, climb the ladder."

The farmer says "Nope, I put my trust in God."

The helicopter goes away. The water comtinues to rise and sweeps the farmer off the roof. He drowns.

The farmer goes to heaven. God sees him and says "What are you doing here?"

The farmer says "I put my trust in you and you let me down."

God says, "What do you mean, let you down? I sent you two boats and a helicopter!!!"

The reason I post this here, is because people keep saying that it should be "left in God's hands". Guess what, we are God's hands. So the Sheriff or local police, they too are God's hands. (IMO)

"C"
  • Have to agree with you 'C'. I can use myself as a example, I am a recovering alcoholic(15 yrs). Had I not been held acountable for my actions 16 years ago, I would have just continued on my merry way and not have addressed the problem that I had. I think we have lost the being accountable for our own actions over the last 15 or 20 years. You do have to hit bottom and Admit that you have a problem before it can be solved. If you leave someone get away with something, they WILL do it again and again..Just my thoughts..

mark
  • Im sorry to hear about your troubles. I keep my pain meds for just one day with me no more than that as I have been ripped off as well when having my car serviced. The worst thing was the car dealership started commenting on my age and if I was driving while taking said medications i was furious and did press charges :jawdrop:
  • I would call the police and have everyone make a statement. I would press charges. AS far as proving that she took them...well not only do you have witnesses but maybe they can have her take a UA. Possibly she is not on the same meds OR maybe she no longer is getting meds prescribed and it will show in her UA. Your HR CAN demand a UA from her also. I was HR before in a larger company and you can random (IF it is in the EE handbook). It is a possible felony on her part but I am sure it will get reduced. Also if you are taking your meds as prescribed if you are short then that would be the only way. In all honesty they are gonna look at you like why would she feel she has to lie about the amount take from her. You know what I mean??? Also call the PM, NS, ortho, PCP or whomever prescribed your meds to you and let them know ASAP. Let tehm know that you will fax over the report from the HR department and when the report from the police station is ready you will fax it also. Being proactive on this situation will only help you. DONT and I mean DO NOT!!!! wait til your next apt. CAll them today get the report from HR and the witnesses and fax it to your doc today!! Speak with the nurse, PA or whomever works with your doc and let them know the story. If you have a notary in your office have your witnesses write a statement on letterhead and have it notarize BEFORE you get the police report and fax it to the doc. The police report can take 7-14 days to get. Do not take this situation litely at all. Some people need to get caught. In all reality she COULD have messed up her retirement due to this situation. I had a girlfriend that was an addict before I met her. She called in her own RX's for about 2 yrs. Then when the pharmacy caught on that filling 90 every 2 days was way too many they finally called the doc. She was arrested on her front lawn and went through rehab. it is the best thing that ever happened to her. She has at times asked for a couple of my pills and I have said no!!! and I mean NO WAY IN HELL!!! I also told her that if she asked me again I would let her hubby know. She stopped asking. So PLEASE DONT GET YOUR PERSONAL FEELINGS get involved in this at all.
    Let us know what happens today and good luck. I am so sorry all of this happened to you.
    Take Care MJ
  • I am also a big believer in KARMA something someday will come around and bite her on the ass. It has worked for my hubby and I. To make the Karma story short I will be brief. Basically my hubby was about 21 (before we met) and was married to his ex. He came home one day to find her and his bestfriend naked. So of course he left her. Now about 2 yrs ago her husband left her for her bestfriend and she found them in her bed. HA HA HA HA HA HA HA ROFLMAO!!! So Karma does come around. It took about 15 yrs but it did happen!
advertisement