Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

had a bad nite was scared

gar0262ggar0262 Posts: 164
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had a very bad and scary night last night. :( I'm 1.5 weeks post op of laminectomy, PLIF L5-S1 with hardware. I was hurting real bad yester day, my back was real tight and swelled up all way across. I don't know what brought on the spell I had , but it sure scared the h#@l out of me.I got really dizzy, broke out in a clammy sweat, and felt like I was gonna throw up, along with nauseau, and for about a minute had problems breathing. :jawdrop: Finally I felt good enough for my hubby to help me up the steps from the basement, and get me to the bed. No, we didn't call the doctor, as we are maybe thinking it was brought on by the pain that I was in. Was in so much pain tho I couldn't get comfy to go to sleep. Feel some better today, just gonna lay around and take it easy.
advertisement

Comments

• I'm sorry you had a rough night!! That must have been pretty frightening. I know I'd probably freak out. I'm glad to hear that you're feeling a tad bit better today!

• Hi Glor. I sure hope you feel better. That sounds really scary. At least you had your hubby there with you.

Take care,
    Yvonne
  • hi my name is paula pleased to meet you.
    i dont like the sound of you saying there was swelling on your back i think you might be as well to check itout with the doc.
    im glad to hear your feeling a little better but please do consider getting the swelling checked out.

LOVE PAULA
  • that your night was bad and I am glad that you are feeling better today but you might want to consider letting your doc know what happened.....especially if it happens again. Hopefully it won't though , I will keep my fingers crossed for you. Please keep us posted as to how you are doing....take care....Miki
  • Hey there,
    Sorry to hear about the bad pain and bad night. I am glad Hubby was able to get you to the bed. I have not really had "lower back surgery" but I did have some prcedure a real long time agao were they injected the enzymes of a papya fruit into the herniated disc and is supposedly deteriorated if it did I am sure the verts down there are fsued by now.
    Anyway..I do not know how common it is to have swelling around the surgical area, but with my first neck surgery I did experience a huge amount of pain and I got really scared and asked them to do an MRI...the report stated there was an abundance of post-operative fluid around my spinal cord and now one seemed to be concerned about it. I could actually feel the sweeling on the posterior of my neck where they went in for the foraminotomy.

I think like the others have said it is VERY important to let your surgeon know of what happened last night. It is real easy just give a call in and ask to speak to the PA or back office nurse and let them know and see how it goes from there!
    I surely hope this won't happen again! If you need some extra support please PM me ok!
    (((gentle hugs)))
    Christine
  • Gloria...last sunday/monday I had a very bad situation come over me. It was a mixup with my pain patch. Luckily I was on chat...and brokenlady, Yvonne, redhott, and a few more were there to keep me thinking straight, and help me get through the hell.
    Just another reason I am grateful for my pals here at SH... sorry to hear you have a rough go of it also.
  • Hi Glor, sorry for your bad episode. If you still have swelling I think you should check your temperature and call your doctor. I hope all is getting better still. Hang in there. Sue
  • Hi and thanks for all the support! I have not had a repeat of last nights episode #:S Just a very sore back today yet, but it seems to be easing up a litte tonight. I have been keeping track of my temp, as I have been running a fever off and on, and tylenol seems to be doing the job. I keep telling myself that I am only 1.5 weeks post op. If my back still seems to be swelled up tomorrow, I'll call ns office and let them know.
  • At 1.5 weeks out from a lammy/PLIF, you are VERY FRAGILE, so go slow!! You are very weak yet & your body has been thru #$^$@%~! The sweating & nausea could be part of that over-all post-op weakness, but watch that carefully.

Sounds like you are! As others have said, keep any eye on that swelling & your temp. Lots of layers of stitches in there, many muscles, nerves etc have been messed with & they ain't very happy about it!

REST this weekend! And call your doc if you have ANY concerns! That's what they get the big $$$ for! Take no chances! I had a post-op dural leak that didn't show up for almost a week afterwards---the surgery to repair that made things much worse & probably caused the need for my fusion, as things just deteriorated after that.

Keep us posted! Get some sleep now!

~Lakeside
  • I am so grateful for everyone's concern and info, it really does help with the recovery process to know their is people who relate and can help in one way or another. >:D<
    Fortunately, I have not had a repeat of those specific syptoms #:S but I have been dealing with that fever yet. Hubby and I are keeping a close track of it, and taking tylenol which seems to help. My discharge papers specify that if my temp gets above 101.5 to call the drs. office, which so far has not happened, although yesterday morning it got up to 101.3 :SS needless to say I went to bed and slept most of the day, so I did not even once get on line which is rare for me :O So here we are, another beautiful, wonderful day on the road to recovery. :)))
  • Glor, do get that temp checked out. Is your incision still swollen all the way across? The tylenol you are taking may be keeping the fever from getting past the 101.5. I am a RN and in the hospital we often don't give tylenol until the fever gets over the level of concern, as don't want to mask it and the infection it may be a symptom of. Hope it goes away, Sue
  • Hi Glor, even if you are feeling better tomorrow I feel you should check it out and at the very least let your Dr know.

The worst that can happen is he say no big deal and youa re embarrassed :))( that is a small price to pay for reassurance.

As Cali-Sue said the Tylenol has kept your temp down but lets hope it is nothing and you kep on getting stronger.

Blessings Sara O:)
  • Just checking in.
    Cali is RIGHT.
    I mean I have a bit of swelling but just were it is bumpy. Its not warm to the touch, no fever and no episodes like you talked about.
    Ya just never know with these open surgeries hunny.
    Fever no matter what the situation even without surgery for a adult means something is up.
    Even though you feel a bit better.

Call and let us know what they say DEAL????
    Phone calls don't hurt anyone.
    Love ya lots
    Huggies
    Terri >:D< :* >:D< :*
  • Well, that darn fever just keeps at it. Last night as I was laying in bed I realized I was quite warm, so took temp, and it was now 101.6. I immediately called the phone number on my post op instructions, and told them what was going on, and she told me she would have my ns nurse call me. So, as I'm waiting for the call, my hubby is only wanting to know if I had took any tylenol lately. X( The nurse called and I explained to her what was going on, and she told me to get to the hospital's e.r., mind you not the one closest to us, but the one I had surgery at which is approx 1.5 drive. But by this time I'm scared so I'm like ok, and telling my hubby we need to go. If it hadn't been for me needing him to drive me to the hospital I would have left him behind, as he didn't see the urgency of the situation. @) First off he's just like walking around looking for this and that, as I'm heading out the door, I turned on porch light so I could see my way to truck, but he comes along and turns it off, so I run into a pile of brush in the yard, which did NOT feel good, needless to say he got a real good cussing. So I'm in truck and he's still lolly gagging around looking for a couple things he forgot. Okay, so we finally get on road, and then he has to stop on the drive down to get a cup of coffee. :O So finally we arrive at the hosp e.r., and I get paperwork filled out and start the waiting. Fortunately the nurse practioner I had spoke to on phone happen to be in hosp, so she took me back to look at my incision to check for any obvious signs of infection, which there wasn't, she said that it looked real good, so that ruled out the immediate admission for infection, so then I had to have other tests run. The admitting nurse was so awesome, as she could tell I was in pain, and actually put me in front of other patients, so I could get in a room and lay down. So the usual tests, urynalysis, blood work, and chest xray. Well, all that checked out fine, so they confused as to why the fever, but said there could be a few possibilities. By the time I was told I could go home and follow up with dr, I had a massive migraine. :''( So we get back home about 4ish this morning. (|: After only a few hours sleep, I'm woke up by that killer migraine still pounding away :''( It's has subsided some for the moment, at least to the point that I don't feel like beating my head against a hard surface. @) Thanks, everyone for being so caring and wonderful, and I will keep you posted.
  • So glad you finally went to get it checked out. Yes in the middle of the night can get tricky when taking a road trip and the other half is still asleep. 8} I) I) I) doing this and that.
    I always use the ambulance service but of course ours in vol so there is no charge. That way your straight into a bed and don't have to do all the paperwork crap.

I sure hope your headache is gone by now. I hate those.
    And they make me nervous to especially after spine surgery.
    My daughter is very sick with the flu and a temp and so is my nurse that took care of me in the hospy and a few friends around here. So hopefully its just a touch of something.

Keep us updated hunny.
    Love you lots and lots
    Terri :X >:D< :*
advertisement