Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi to everyone....scheduled for ACDF 9/30/08

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in New Member Introductions
Good morning,
I am a 37 year old wife and mother of two teen boys. I had a very active 20-something period, but my 30s haven't been the greatest. My immune system doesn't like me very much...or too much...I can't decide. I was in ICU in 2002 for a mini-stroke/Belles Palsy (that's another story). I was diagnosed with Graves and Hashimotos diseases two years ago, have RA, and just had two female surgeries late last year with a hysterectomy in Nov 07.

My journey to ACDF started three months ago. I sat up in bed and felt a 'ping' and here I am...getting ready to have surgery on the C5/C6 in 5 days.

The pain is so horrible, I can't even describe it. I have been sleeping on the love seat since it happened. I have been through the conservative treatments, then started seeing a wonderful pain doc who 'juiced' me as he called it (lots of muscle relaxers and percocet). Then, had the MRI, and the pain doc said "you need surgery ASAP", "it looks like it exploded". Then he walked out, leaving me sitting there with a stunned look on my face. That was three weeks ago. Since then, I have been to my surgical consult, which was two weeks ago, and he got me in as soon as he could.

I don't know about anyone else, but I asked my surgeon a TON of questions. I wanted to see statistics, his drivers license (he looks like he is twenty years old, haha), results from other procedures similar to mine, etc.

The reason I am writing is to get advice about the mind-set before this surgery. I keep having this feeling of doom and gloom...like I'm not going to make it back home after the surgery. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it normal? I know there are many risks and complications, including death, but I can't shake this feeling. I don't want to go into surgery with it, because I believe in the whole mind over matter thing. My endo doc said she would write me an anxiety pill, but it makes you bleed so better not.

Thanks for any input you may have.
advertisement

Comments

• and welcome to the forum. I think it is only natural to be scared before surgery , I know that I was as were many , many others. You are not alone though , you now have all of us so if there is anything that I can do to help then please just let me know. Please do keep us posted as to how you are doing....take care....Miki
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. there is a good read on successful surgeries by forum members under the "good News" site. perhaps reading of successes will give you some confidence and take away a little of your anxiety. good luck! Jenny :)
  • hi mrskopp i wish u a sucessful surgery and a fast recovery. i will say a special prayer for u on the 30th. every surgery i have had i had the same thoughts as u and i think this is only normal. i had only 5 days to think about my surgery and to keep my mind off of the dooms day thinking, i would enjoy sitting outside, listening to the birds sing and eat at my wifes feeders, and pray alot. i know it helped me to not think that this might be the last time i would see birds sing, but to just enjoy the moment and listen to the birds sing. I also bought a couple of magazines that i like to read and read and looked at them. i know its not easy to do but i wish u the best.
    GOD BLESS ALL
    KC