Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post Op Visit with NS

HaylieCatOwnerHHaylieCatOwner Posts: 117
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi All, I just had my 3 week post-op visit (after Right L5, S1 Lumbar Laminotomy, Forminotomy, and Diskectomy) with my NS, and it went well. He gave me a copy of the Operation Report. It's interesting to see the description of what he did. Here was the main part: "There was a very large extruded fragment, over a centimenter in size, compressing the ventral surface of the S1 nerve root. This was removed with a pituitary rongeur, and a large annular tear was noted."

An ANNULAR TEAR? Is that pretty common? How does that happen? I was just wondering if anyone else experienced this?

The NS said, now after almost 3 weeks post-op, that I can start bending more, and that the main thing is I can't lift more than 25 lbs for 6 months (this is a big difference to the nothing-over-8-pounds rule I have been on!). No running or jarring my back for 6 months either. Fast walking is okay. He said I should be back to "normal" in 6 months.

Otherwise, he gave me some restrictions about work (taking it slow to get back into things), but he wasn't concerned about reherination unless I lift something heavy. I was kind of surprised at how easy-going and flexible he was about me doing things. After everything I have read here and other places, I would have thought I should still be more careful.

The restrictions were pretty basic: No heels for 6 weeks, and he did say to limit driving to 30 minutes at a time. He said I can take Advil now for the pain and said the pain is expected for a month or so (the numbness in my leg and foot can last 3-4 months).

I did ask for a referral to Physical Therapy, which I have an appointment for an evaluation on Wednesday. I am hopeful that the PT will strengthen my core and help me get stronger. Does anyone have any suggestions on what else I can do to help get my strength back?

Best wishes,
Haylie
advertisement

Comments

• I think that the tears are common-I know that I have several tears-in several areas of my spine (for years now).
  • I had two annular tears, also. I might have torn mine initially in a water skiing accident. they can definitely lead to DDD (degenerative disc disease) as they did on mine. glad you had a good report!
  • Thank you for your feedback. Do you think I will have more likelihood of DDD because of the tear, or will the risk be less because they fixed it?

Thanks,
    Haylie
  • You do noy already have ddd? I thought EVERYONE had ddd! lol!
  • Hi Haylie, I think the annular tear is what allowed the disc material to escape and protrude into the spinal canal. So when the surgeon removed the protrusion he could see the tear. I too had an annular tear in my L4-5 disc. It showed on my first MRI. Then a year and a half later new MRI showed that disc was dessicated, all dried up, which means degenerative disc disease. But not really a comparision cause I had a very unstable spondylolisthesis at that level that caused the whole problem. So now I am fused and recovering nicely. Have you looked at the Chirogeek website. It just has a lot of good info to help understand disc anatomy. Check it out. It sounds like you are progressing nicely. Take care, Sue
    http://www.chirogeek.com/
  • By the sounds of it from the report they just noted the annular tear - there is no way to "fix" them. I have had one - basically the disc is like a water filled tyre (or jelly doughnut if you like) - if it tears material from the disc extrudes and when it comes into contact with stuff around the disc - ie nerves - they can cause irritation. As I understood it the annular tear basically equals ddd as it is degenerative - there is no way to replace the water from the tyre (or jelly from the doughnut) and patch it up - sadly!!

N
  • I still have a lot to learn and wonder why my NS didn't educate me more. The NS spoke to my parents while I was in recovery; my parents say he mentioned the tear and said he "repaired it." I will check again to make sure, because that sonds impossible. I asked the NS today about complcations or things to watch for. He said only 4-5% reherniate and I don't need to worry as long as I don't lift something too heavy or have a bad fall. I'm wondering now if there is more I should know???

Ya'll are so great--thanks for the info!

Haylie
advertisement