Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

7 weeks post op

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had my 7 week check up yesterday!! The doc says that there is some bone growth visible!! Yippeee!! I am STILL on all restrictions though-until 3 months post op! Anyone else have to wait so long??
advertisement

Comments

• Hi!

I go Monday, Sept. 29th for my first X-rays. We had our surgery on the same day. I feel great other than minor aches and getting tired easily, but I imagine that I will still have restrictions. I feel so dependent on my poor husband. Plus, I still have to use my walker to get into bed or to sit on very low chairs. My hips and groins hurt after walking. At my age (54), the healing process will probably take a little longer. I will make certain to get back to you about my results. In the meantime, I am happy that you are showing some bone growth!!!

Hang in there!
    Ann
  • Great Shay-

I see my NS today, they cancelled my xrays becuase I had some a couple weeks back.

Julie
  • Good luck with your appts! Let us know how they go!
  • Yay, good news! =D> I have my xrays tomorrow and appt. Monday. I have to have those xrays in my possesion all weekend and I am going to try not to look at them. (Don't know if I'll be successful with that :? ). I think I'll get rid of my TLSO at Mondays appt as well, that was the plan, but got to check xrays first. I hope so cause I am going to a nursing awards dinner Tuesday and I don't want to have to wear it there. You are getting there girl, one day at a time! :) Sue
  • I got 12 weeks of PT 2-3 X per week and he said I looked great. He doesn't want me going back to work quite yet. I am to call him when I think I am ready and he will release me. I am thinking 4 more weeks and I will go back (that will be 12 weeks).... I am hoping I will start feeling stronger with PT.

Julie
  • I know I am waiting 3 months. All according to my NS's standard procedure - no PT or BLT for those 3 months.

I don't know if my apt. next week will change anything - I'm torn, do I want to go back to work early? Or do I want to stay out for a while yet? I have to lift 40-45 lbs on a regular basis and work requires I be at 100% or be reassigned a new job. I'm a librarian for heaven's sake - what could be easier, it's just that little weight lifting req. that keeps me off the payroll.

• YIPPEEEEEE BABY!!!! so glad there is site of bone fusion that is so awesome you must be thrilled.

Yes I also as of last years surgery had to wait the 3 months.
    At 6 months I was dancing!!!!!!! That felt good :D :D

Keep up the great recovery hunny I'm so very proud of you!!!
  • Thanks everyone!! I am so glad that I do not have to worry about going back to work! I am on perm. disabilty right now-I gave up my photography business until I can get 100 % better.
    I am still stuck in my TLSO for another 7 weeks :(!
    Sue....if you can keep from looking at your xrays-you have way more self control than I do!! LOL! My surgeon's office has an xray machine there. I get the xray the same day as my appt and they put it on disc right away. I wish ALL my films were on disc! I have quite a collection of MRIs under my bed! Let us know what happens!
  • Ahhh, I wish I had my films on disc. I have them stacked up in a closet an actually my NS kept my last MRI and xrays for surgery. I am gonna have to get those back someday. I'll probably cave and have to look at my xrays, but I am just afraid I'll see something that doesn't look right and get myself all freaked out. My last xrays were flex/ext pre-op, and I looked at them, had them for 2 weeks even, and I was oh so sure my spine was stable and wouldn't need surgery. Then when I went to appt NS says unstable, you need surgery and I was in shock. And low and behold, when he got in there my L4 spinous process and lamina bil were just moving all around- no wonder my back crunched with every little movement. So anyway, I am not a good xray reader :)
  • Those things are hard to read! Even with him pointing out my bone growth I could not see it! Also-I can not see my cages at ALL! I guess since they not metal. My surgeon MAILED my MRIs back to me after surgery. Some of them were taken to my hospital room right away-the rest he mailed. I was surprised by that!
  • Well of course I caved and looked at my xrays. As far as fusion who knows, I can't tell. The vertebral end plates look kinda white compared to the other levels. My cage is radiolucent too, but it has tiny little dots that show up. It seems to be in place. I was wearing sweat capri's so they said I didn't need to take them off, well, woops, there are 2 shiny metal brads where the string goes through the waiste showing up right on top of my hardware. The radiologist said it was okay, just don't do it again :D
  • Funny! I would not have thought of that either! They made me take off my pants and they put me in a gown.
  • I had my 5 1/2 week follow up last Thursday, and I also will have my restrictions in place for at least 3 months. The only changes are:

- I can now lift up to 10 pounds
    - I can drive when not on pain meds
    - I am now in a soft corset back brace
    - I can swim

My doctor gave me a CD with x-rays from my first appt. pre-surgery and post-surgery from the latest appointment. All I had to do was ask.

I have also filled out the proper paperwork to get a CD from the hospital with my MRI on it.
  • They gave me a disc too-I asked for an extra copy and they ended up giving me 2-? My doc still wants me in the hard brace, I can lift my "purse"-that is all. Oh and I can drive short distances-since I traded in my stick shift for an automatic :(.
  • Oh! YOu should share you xray pics! I like seeing them!! Mine is my profile pic.
  • I just returned from my neurosurgeon and I have a miniscule amount of bone growth occurring! I still have the no bending, lifting or twisting restrictions. However, I can begin weaning myself out of the brace and I can start physical therapy. If everything looks fine after my next check-up in four weeks, I can return to my job as a high school science teacher just in time to start second quarter! Yippee Skippee!
  • <:P Way to go bbcrazy. I had my surgery 6/28 and am way behind you in healing. Good job :jawdrop:
advertisement