Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need help with medical terminology please!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Chronic Pain
Hello all, i have just had my second MRI performed and I have the results here. If anyone can explain to me what the actual meaning of these results are, I would be honored. They are as follows:

1. vertebral bodies are unremarkable. extradural defects at c4/c5 and c6/c7 which compress the anterior subarachnoid space. paravertebral tissues are unremarkable.

2. c3/c4 there is a left uncovertebral osteophyte narrowing the left c4 neural fomina.

c4/c5 there is a left paracentral disc protrusion which compresses the left c5 nerve root sleeve. there is a left sided uncovertable osteophyte narrowing the left c5 neural foramen.

c5/c6 left paracentral disc protrusion compressing the left c6 nerve root.

If anyone can help i would be grateful. These terms are also used in the rest of the MRI. If these terms can be explained i can decode the rest of it. BTW, my surgeon said that i have a genetic defect that does not allow my spine to produce enough collagen. has anyone out there ever heard of this?

Thank you immensely for your help and for reading this!
advertisement

Comments

• why don't you ask your doctor what it means. if they give you an mri, they should have made an appt for you and told you in plain english what all of this means and if you should have surgery or not. i have never had an mri without a follow through appt with dr. they show the film and tell you what it all means. if they don't get a new dr asap
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,714
    ">image

For a Spine-Health Site introduction, Click on :

Welcome To Spine-Health

If you have any questions, feel free to contact (PM) any one of the Moderators here Priestess , Bruce , Paulgla, DiLauro

The Spine-Health Web site offers so much more than these Member Forums.
    Check the various tabs at the top of the Spine-Health page and you will find so much that is offered here.

Please remember that all information you receive from members on this forum is NOT
    formal medical advise. You should always consult with your doctors.

To get back to the Forums, you can always click on Forum Home

Please feel free to contact me at rdilauro@gmail.com or send me a message
    ________________________________________________________________________________
    Reading MRI's is a tricky thingg to do and
    it really shouldn't be done by members of Spine-Health.
    The reading of MRI's needs to be done by a medical professional. Many times you will get a reading from the lab and one from your doctor. If you have questions regarding what it actually means, ask your doctor to explain in my laymens terms.
    No member on Spine-Health has degrees that gives the ability to provide insight to MRI readings. Members can state their opinions based on their own experiences, but always remember, formal medical advice always needs to come from your doctor.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • SpeedySSpeedy Posts: 1
    edited 10/25/2015 - 6:31 AM
    I just joined this site today to learn exactly the same thing as the original poster asking for help with terminology. I got a copy of my actual mri and also the detailed report which went with it. My orthopedic surgeon sat down with me and explained it to me and we discussed what my options would be and proceeded from there. From the original post, it sounds like they may very well have discussed the findings. To suggest that they should find another doctor, in my opinion, was not warranted. As I said, I followed up with my surgeon. After I got home, however, I sort of went "what?" He explained it but I didn't take in all he had discussed. So I felt that I wanted to dissect the report on my own. I got the gist of what he said but I wanted to go thru the report again on my own. How fortunate that you have always been able to comprehend and retain every detail that your doctor(s) discussed with you. My brain is by no means that capable. Anyway, to "Anonymous" [Means Member that has been Banned or Deleted] good luck on your journey. I wish you well.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,144
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!

moderator, ~~savage

advertisement