Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Call Me Stupid

CRASH21CCRASH21 Posts: 139
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I recently had a 2 level ACDF with cages and plate. Will be in brace for 3 months 24/7. Call me stupid, but I just realized that I am probably not done/recovered at 3 months.

How long does it take to be fused? Will I still have restrictions?

I really was thinking all this will be over in 3 months? Think again, right?

All these questions we forget or don't ask . . .
advertisement

Comments

• I don't know what has happened to the board, people used to answer questions better than they do now. I was supposed to be in the brace for 4 months but it turned into 6. then my screws broke and now I am back into the brace awaiting another surgery to have bolts and rods put into the back of my neck. some people heal differently and faster than others just do what they tell you to do. I know it is a pain in rear but don't be in such a hurry. Give the body the time it needs to heal. you will get used to the brace for the most part. it does get aggravating sometimes but when you think about the alternative...
    You will have restrictions for awhile. Biggest thing is be careful in the shower about slipping or walking on wet grass and slipping. No Olympic diving for awhile. ;))
  • everyone fuses at a different rate depending on how many levels , age, genes, lifestyle. I've read on these post some fusing at 3 months others 1 year. I took about 4-5 months till enough growth that NS called it fully fused.
    So all you can do is wait for appoint when they do the x-rays and wait see was doctor says how far along you are.
    I was told do a lot of walking , it encourages fusion.
  • 15 years ago when I had my ACDF at C6-C7, I was fused (no hardware, just allograft) after 6 weeks. Then again, I was only 37 at the time.

• Well I think people have given some great answers! I wondered the same thing being that I just had my 2 level ACDF at C4-6. I figured it was up to my body on how quickly or slowly it wanted to fuse.

I really love to walk and wish I could walk more at this point! I know that it helps in our recovery, but I seem to only manage aboout 1 1/2 miles a day. I don't do it all at once...I have, only to be very extreemly worn out the next day and not feel like walking. SO I have cut it into increments of 1/2 miles or 3/4 miles at a time.

Does anyone know what it is about the walking that helps to promote the fusion process????

Chrissy
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,733
    is different basically due to the type of surgery, its complexity and the individual themselves.
    The best answer you can get from this is to discuss it with your doctor.
    The members here can give you their time frames so that can be used as an estimate only and should not be used as fact.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I believe it has to do with your circulation, better blood flow makes for better fusion, at least that is how it was explained to me.
  • Yeah,everyone would be different on that. My DO thinks my NS is going to do a 4 level ACDF C-3 thru C-7. So far those two have been on the same wavelength in all of this. I see my NS this coming Monday. He will tell me the extent of my surgery Monday.

I have type 2 diabetes, hypertension, sleep apnea. I use a C-Pap machine. I'm 56 years old and obese. On the positive side my diabetes is under good control. I take 2 diabetes meds, 4 blood pressure pills, a thyroid pill, cholesterol pill, and morphine and vicodin currently.

So, I expect that if I have a 4 level 4 months recovery before being allowed to go back to work would be reasonable. Maybe longer. I don't know. My DO said I'd be having titanium plates and screws.

I'll just have to wait and see. I'm glad before the beginning of 2008 I chose Long Term Disability as one of my benefits. I've used up my Short Term Disability for the year.

Ken GreyEagle
    Greyeagle
advertisement