Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Do you think I could have Fibro?

QuiltinouslyQQuiltinously Posts: 152
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Fibromyalgia
Hi all, I am grasping at straws. My surgeon, neurologist, physiatrist, and general doctor do not know why I'm still in pain. Please tell me if you think I could have Fibro.

Here's what I have going on:
- I am a 48 yo female and have been diagnosed with DDD and have one herniated disc in my lumbar spine plus a failed neck surgery one year ago at the C5-6 level - it fused but the pain is the same as before.

- Standing hurts from the base of my skull to my tail bone and the pain only diminishes when I sit or lay down. My legs feel weak, but they really are not. I can walk normally, but must sit sooner than a normal person would because of the all over pain feeling.

- I have constant pain from my neck down into my shoulder, arm, and hand including weakness and numbness.

- When I do "too much" like vacuum one room, I will have an increase in pain and likely get a migraine headache.

- I have a sensitivity to smells, lights, and loud noises.

- Before pain, I was happy, hyper, and full of energy. I live in a somewhat foggy state thanks to the pain meds I need to get by. At least I am still height and weight proportionate and healthy (it seems) besides constant chronic pain. Ice on my neck and shoulder help a little, but not enough.

A good friend who knows of someone else who has Fibro and she thinks that I may have Fibro as well. Do you? I realized I need to ask a doctor, but in the mean time, does anyone think that I do. Or do you think it is something else I should look into. So far my doctors haven't helped at all.
Thanks in advance!
Dee
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Dee,

While I'm not at all experienced or educated on fibro, I wanted to as a question or two. What kind of testing if any has the neurologist done? How long has all of this been going on? Did they do any recent images of your c-spine?

Just curios and which I could help.

"C"
  • Hi C,
    Yes, I had an MRI of my entire spine and it showed nothing new in my neck and just a 3.3 mm herniation in my lumbar spine. My neurologist said that after looking at it, I should not be in that much pain. He might as well have said he thinks I'm lying. I was dismissed and left very upset and confused. I guess I'm lucky my spine "only" has DDD but not much more. That is why I'm trying to figure out why I'm hurting. I also had an EMG (I think) over a year ago where I was poked with needles all up and down my right hand and arm. It showed definite issues but it was done before my surgery. I would not expect it to show anything new because the pain is the same.
    Sorry that I don't know my condition better to explain it more clearly. As I stated in my first post above, I hurt and don't know what else to do.
    Thanks, Dee
  • First sorry your hurting. Yes a 3mm bulge can hurt. Of course the dr well if they have not had issues with their back they have no clue.
    Have you tried a orthopedic spine dr???
    Also as you know we cannot know if you have fibro by the symptoms you describe. As fibro/cfs mimmick so many other things. MS, lymes, lupus, sorijions (spelling) sorry. The list goes on.
    Next step would be a rheumatologist. They will do blood work from a-z. Tender point check. I have 15 out of 18. My worst feeling I get with fms is worn out. Like the flu but without all the nasty symptoms.
    If I do to much my neck and shoulders ache so bad you want to scream. And you feel so weak you want to sleep forever. But I also have spine issues so I just never know. The only time I do know is when I am in a "flare" that last anywhere from a day, weeks or months.
    Get a appt if able or allowable. That would be your first big step. Make sure if you do , when you call ask if they treat and diagnose fibro. It is getting better as in awarness with drs. But some still are not educated enough yet. So do your homework.
    Write down all your symptoms, when they happen. What makes it worse or better. I did this for my first appt. I think I blew the Dr away. But hey that was the only way I was going to get through to them.

A heating blanket is the bomb for some type of relief. Plus hot baths, hot tubs. lavender neck wraps etc. Plus a healthy diet. Sometimes gluten free diets also help BIG TIME. but they are hard to follow at first. But always ask your dr first before starting any kind of treatment like that.

Plus there are many antidepressents out there that work wonders for alot of people. But that is also for you and your dr to decide.

Good luck hang in there and let us know how you make out.
    Terri ;)
  • Hi Terri,
    Thanks for taking the time to share what you know.

I haven't tried an ortho spine doctor or a rheumatologist, but I probably should. I'm supposed to see a new neurologist soon.

I like your ideas especially to write down my symptoms, and when, etc.

Do you mean that heating pads are good or bad when you say they "bomb"? The last time I tried one, I had a terrible flare up of pain and haven't tried one since. Only ice helps and I guess the meds, but I've been on them too long.

I read about Chronic Myofascial Pain, that actually sounds more like what I have than Fibromyalgia.
    Dee
  • Not being a dr, I can only guess. I have cervical issues and fibro and I hear a lot in similiar. I would recommend seeing a rheumotologist. But some of the things you described sound like sources of pain and fibro is like your body becomes unable to handle the pain and especially turn it off.
advertisement