Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

tyche stand alone fusion cages

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello everyone! I`m new here, and I really need some help...
I had a fusion surgery L5-S1 back in 2004, The type of cages used were the round expandable type.from the looks, they appear to be tyche cages. My problem is this, one of the cages on the left side looks crooked, over turned one quarter either too much or too little, anyways, I know it is not right! It should be the same configuration as the right side. I have plenty of x-rays as well as ct scans that clearly show the mis -match. Does anybody here have these type cages? I`m scared that my doctors are covering this up,and not telling me the whole truth. Somebody, anybody, Please help!!!
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Skip, Welcome to SH, you have found a great site full of information and support. I don't know about that type of cage, but I was wondering if you have fused and are you having problems still. I myself got a Bak Peek cage, just one, put in at an oblique angle from the left side. I would think as long as the cages are in the space and fusion has occured it wouldn't matter if they were exactly symmetrical. Just my opinion being my cage obviously is not symmetrical since it was implanted purposefully at an angle. Tell us more about yourself. Take care, Sue
  • skip said:
    Hello everyone! I`m new here, and I really need some help...
    I had a fusion surgery L5-S1 back in 2004, The type of cages used were the round expandable type.from the looks, they appear to be tyche cages. My problem is this, one of the cages on the left side looks crooked, over turned one quarter either too much or too little, anyways, I know it is not right! It should be the same configuration as the right side. I have plenty of x-rays as well as ct scans that clearly show the mis -match. Does anybody here have these type cages? I`m scared that my doctors are covering this up,and not telling me the whole truth. Somebody, anybody, Please help!!!
  • Hello everyone,
    I`m pretty sure that endplate to endplate contact with the open areas of the plif is desirable?Duh! How else could the bone grow through and achieve a fusion?
    side by side as well...I also found another type of plif very similar to tyche it is the Varilift plif!Hmmmm.....
    I`m sooo flustered at the moment. No wonder my ct scans have grease pencil markings on them. I will take pics and post them for all to see! a simple x-ray even shows the mismatch...I`m sad...sooo very sad...
  • Thankyou cali-sue for your input....
    I`m not very good at this just yet..
    I will get to the bottom of the cover up! bet that!
    God bless you Cali-sue!,
    Love,
    Skip ~X(
  • I had a ALIF L4/L5 in July this year with cages and BMP only, no other hardware. My xrays show one of the cages is in crooked, like cocked up higher on one end than the other one. My NS said I've had too much movement, but things should still fuse just fine. I'm having boo-coos of pain still though and wonder what's the deal. He's put me back to wearing my brace again. I haven't shown any growth yet. I've not seen anyone else's xrays, so I didn't know what other's look like.

If you had your fusion in 2004, are you totally fused now? Are you still having pain?

Melisa
  • Hi Skip, I found an article about Tyche cages. I was curious what they are. Have you tried to get a second opinion from a different surgeon? What problems are you having? Take care, Sue
    http://www.jkns.or.kr/htm/pdfdown.asp?pn=0042007139
advertisement