Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

have my 8 week check up this afternoon UPDATE: INPUT WOULD HELP!

dbullwinkelddbullwinkel Posts: 224
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am having my first set of x-rays..hoping for good news! I am anxious. I have list of questions for the doctor as well. Is it typical to ask for surgery report?

Just got back..x-rays looked good, he said i am healing nicely. can take off soft brace and drive (start with short trips).

weight limit increased to 15-20 lbs.... continue PT, but only for arm strength;nothing with neck.

WORK: THIS IS MY PROBLEM and really need input!

He said I could return to work in one month as long as I had help in the class. I am a special education teacher for children with autism. my class this year is NOT easy and 2 kids weigh 60-70 lbs. none weigh 15-20 lbs. I have 2 assts. but the nature of the job is so hard to explain...I can never be "safe" from one of them pulling me down,etc

I see him November 21st. and was thinking of having him change note to stay out until then. hopefully by then I will be stronger??

Any advice please...
advertisement

Comments

• I'm sure it will be a great appt. Best of luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Yvonne
  • Some surgeons are weird about that- I asked for my records at the hospital. It was 1.00 per page unless I had it faxed to a doc. So, I had it faxed to a doc and picked them up there. I wanted to know why my surgery took NINE hours instead of the 6 he said it would take. When he came out to talk to my family, he did not offer an explanation.
  • thanks! i was/am very happy with my surgeon. Just interested in knowing exactly what he did. He did explain everything to my husband after the surgery, but it was too much for him to remember!
  • good luck at your appt.
    all drs are different but i imagine they will explain everything that was done to you.
    iv never asked for a paper report as i felt i did not need it as long as i knew what they did.

of course sucked for me as i don't see my dr after my surgeries. BUSY BUSY GUY in a huge orthopedic practice.
    so its always the PA that comes in , but they don't know much while im in the hospy. i don't know till i ask at my post check up at 4 weeks.

hang in there..
    hope your appt goes well <:P O:) >:D<
  • a step brother who is severly autistic (he is now 45 and lives in care home) so I know what your job must be like.
    These kids have a strength like elephants and you have to be so careful. I know my Nana used to look after my step brother until he swung out and her knocked her to the ground and broke her hip.

Is your job worth going back to now, can you wait until you are stronger as your health and welfare are the most important things on the adgenda at the moment.
    let us know what happens
    Sara O:)
  • I am a special ed teacher, I had my operation late last year (PLIF L2 - L3) and I now have been back at work 8 weeks in an admin role. I will start to return to my job over the next four weeks. Wait as long as you can to return, I find I still get really tired and I am ready to go home about 2 30pm. The longer you wait, the stronger you will be and more lightly to cope.
  • If you doctor says 15- 20 pound is your limit, the school should follow that. Even if your doctor says you can come back with that restriction, your employer may not allow you to come back. Can you ask your union rep, what the policy is regarding coming back with restrictions? What does your written job description say you need to be able to do? If your restrictions dont cover this, I wouldnt agree to come back because they unofficially agree to take it easy on you. You know how long that lasts, lol.

Your help in the class,hhmmnnn. Are you ever alone with a student or students? Do you ever need to take students out of the room without an assistant? Are assistants out of the room for specials? I know my teachers are frequently left alone, it could just be for a few minutes, but they are still alone, sometimes with up to 4 students. Dont count on outside service providers, or 1 on 1's they dont need to help, and are assigned to watch over only 1 child. How long would it take for help to get to you if a child you were instructing needed to be restrained? I dont know, just a couple of the things I would be asking myself.

After I had rotator cuff surgery I agreed to come back because they were short several therapists and my kids were not being seen. I told them I was unable to lift more than 20 pounds, restrain or transfer kids, all based on the doctors restrictions. Well, when you are alone and have 1 child physically go after another you need to restrain, there went my restrictions the first day.

Its a no win situation. Again now, I want to return to school because I love my job so much and so that my kids receive the services they need, but I know I need to take care of myself and not mess things up. You are probably feeling similiar.

I would stay out as long as you can if you still have restrictions from your doctor, you know your job better than anyone. Good luck and keep us posted.

Take Care,
    Shell

advertisement