Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervical Surgeries - did anyone lose weight afterward? (m)..

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Stupid question I know. I was just thinking about it - your throat is sore, you have a brace on you're probably all pumped up on pain meds ;) Did anyone lose a lot of weight going through recovery? Would love to lose a few while in recovery LOL ;)
advertisement

Comments

• I wish it were that simple. I did follow weight watchers following my surgery for C5-6 and C6-7 fusions and that really did help me keep the extra weight down from just sitting around. You have to keep eating or you do not have the strength to get better. Just eat healthy!
  • i was on liquids for 2 weeks with my cervical did not loose a darn pound.
    my lumbar surgery last year i dropped 30 lbs. weirdddd..
    but of course with my cervical everything else in my body felt fine except my neck.
    with the lumbar seems like everything hurts and your appitite stinks.. not a great way to loose weight by no means..
    i did gain back some enough to show a difference.
    now im all bloated from the meds, constipation and drinking so much to keep hydrated..
    and i find that sometimes YES IM BOLD hit the snacks during the day. like pudding with whipped cream and i just asked hubby to pick up stuff for root beer floats as its a rainy ikky day, and i want to get cozy on the couch tonight after my shower and chill.. I) I)

basically all depends on the person.. but ya need your nutrition in ya...
    the sore throat will go away soon...

good luck to ya in your recovery >:D<
  • Hi, I had one level cervical disk surgery in Feb./08 and lost 18 pounds during recovery. I attribute it to being on pain medicine which kept the appetite at bay and being on soft foods for a few weeks due to the throat soreness.

They have to move the esphafacus to the side during the surgery which caused me severe throat pain for a week or more. I didn't wake up from the anesthesia until seven hours after surgery was complete. Of course, I didn't get much sleep the night before as I had to be at the hospital at 04:30 AM.