Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Using Heat on insicion???

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
HI all,
I remember reading last year on the old site not to use heat after a fusion surgery?????? My dr never said to do so.
Is there a reason for this?? Curious to know what other drs have said. Of course my office is closed already so I cannot ask.
Between the recovery process + fibro + osteoarthritis + RAIN = a hurricane on your body.
I do use my heating blanket on my legs and upper back. But I so want to wrap up my whole body.
Any comments welcome.
My incision is not swollen so I do not have to worry about that.

Thanks hope all are having a pain free day or at least trying to stay comfy. Its chilly here in the northeast!!! And no oil yet :''( :''(
advertisement

Comments

• I was never told to avoid heat after my surgery. In fact I would stand in the shower with the very hot water on my back because it relieved the muscle pain and spasms. I was just told not to submerge my back in water until the incision was healed.
  • I recall somewhere about using heat or cold therapy, but that could have been before surgery. Anyways, I have been using a heat pad on my back, and it seems to help loosen up the back. Right or wrong it helps me.
  • and used heat in the hospital. They gave me a reheatable pack that I used on my abdomen not so much for pain but for my bowels but it was going right on or near my incision and noone was concerned about me having it. When I asked for one they ran and got it had them right on the floor.

If you are worried I would check with your doctor but can't see what it would hurt especially if your incision is healing well.
  • Thanks you guys.
    I did not think it was a issue either as long as my wound was not open, draining etc.
    I still will ask Monday of course to be on the safe side.
    All they let me use in the hospy was ice. Heat had to be a drs order.

Of course I went to put socks on tonight carefully and PINCH . ouch. so I am up in bed trying to get comfortable.
    Now I know why people have braces. Just for that reason.

Thanks again for your opinions.
    Take care all
    Terri >:D< :*
  • Hi Terri, I specifically asked my surgeon about using heat and cold on my incision, and he said it was fine. He just said only put a heating pad on low, so as to not accidently burn oneself since the skin around the incision is sometime numb. I have been doing ice and heat since I came home from the hospital. I ice first, then when I am nice and freezing I switch to heat. I love both. If it ever gets cold here (93 degrees today) I will probably give up the ice, cause I am not a fan of being cold.

Now Terri, :T , get the kids to put on your socks. Or I could send you my sock putter-onner. I haven't even tried it, but in my itemized hospital bill it cost over $500. What a joke, it is made out of foam and fabric straps. I just started putting on socks about 2 weeks ago just for my walks, but then I couldn't tie my shoes, so kids helped. I live in birki's since it still is like summer here (for a few more days anyway, it might rain next week :() You take care and rest up and try not to overdo >:D< Sue
  • overdo whats that lol

seriously im so stubborn.
    i sat in the recliner looked for my good socks . which mind you someone tied together for the puppy!!!!!!!
    crossed my leg over the other without bending to put lotion on my feet. ugghh don't do that. so hubby did the other foot.

oh what pain did not go to sleep till 2am. then woke at 5. now going back down again for some more zzz'''zzzzz'ssss at 7 now.. wow ok 2 hours in the chair not good.. but not painful either.

the sock thing they gave me last year. i ended up throwing it out. mine was plastic. cause im a barefoot person w/ shoes. but its been so darn chilly here with rain..

ok im rambling. i will need that heating blanket later. i figured it was ok to. since there is no openings in my incision and all the steri strips fell off fast when i came home.

nite nite or goodmorning i should say =)) I) I)
  • Hi Terri,
    I know it was a painful lesson learned with the sock issue. :( Only once since surgery have I put on tennis shoes with socks, and had help with them. Other then that I am fortunate, with our weather to be able to still either go barefoot, or wear slip on shoes for walking in the yard.
  • I love my heat pad and some days earlier on I swear it made ALL the difference to me.(insert bliss icon here)

Now for shoes and sox, I made a bag of silk fabric that I slip into my sox then put my foot in that and pull them up. Works well. I then do the same for the shoes but I have bought elastic laces so can just slip my feet into my shoes and no bending to tie them.

No kids to help me.

Sara O:)
advertisement