Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Raised Sternum/Thoracic Pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
I have been going to physical therapy for the past 8 weeks to try and fix a problem that I first saw as upper back pain. Since then I've had pressure in my sternum. I have been doing exercises to correct my posture and thoracic back strength, which has helped, but the problem of my sternum and back pain still remain.

Part of my sternum is raised up and it looks like its bumped outward and during some exercises, I feel this pressure/pain in the area that is raised upward. I have also been going to physical therapy for thoracic pain and it seems to be directly opposite of the bumps in my sternum. This spot is close to the spine and it kind of feels like the muscle there is really tender. Doing exercises on the bench press also seems to aggrivate the problem even more. I also wrestle which is when the problem began in the first place.

If anyone has any idea of what this could be please help.
advertisement

Comments

• You should see a doctor.....
  • kinda did that thanks for the great help tho haha :D
    i think it may have something to do with my t-10 rib, i have been having pain where the rib meets the vertebrate there and all along the rib. For anyone who is knowledgable in the regard, would that explain the thoracic pain and raised sternum if a rib was somehow injured?
  • I had an issue with a raised sternum a while back. After an x-ray, MRI, and CT scan, the Dr's determined that it was a swollen lymph node. There are a lot of lymph nodes in your mediastinum (chest area)and there is a good bit of "clockwork" there as well. Things are packed pretty tightly. If you have swelling of a lymph node, the swelling will relocate things around it including your sternum.

I had a significant amount of tightness in my thoracic spine (between my shoulder blades) when I had the swelling. I suspect that the swelling was pulling my ribs forward slightly and creating tension in my back muscles. Working out was a real challenge.

I'd ask your doctor if there is a chance that it is a lymph node. If it is, it will either rectify itself by going down or you may want to have further tests done.