Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi everyone,
I posted on the intro section initially but since this section is directly related to my situation I'm posting here.

Here is a little insight on my back trouble. I have some minor tears at L3 and L4 but they don't really cause me any discomfort. I had a discogram on 9/22 and the real cuprit of my pain was found.

There is a full thickness annular tear posterocentrally and to the right of midline associated with a disc herniation with right S1 nerve root encroachment. there is mild neural foraminal encroachment bilaterally. This is causing pain and burning in the glutes, right and left thigh and knee, and also pain in the right ankle.

I have always been pretty active. I was in the Army and now in the Air Force Reserves as an MP. I spent almost a year in Iraq last year and felt pretty good physically while there. I've been pretty down lately, I miss running. I'm not a great runner by any means but it was nice to get out and enjoy the fresh air a few times a week. I have an appointment on Tues. to find out what my next step is. Right now it's difficult for me to see the glass half full. Don't really know what to think or expect. Thanks for listening.

Jay
advertisement

Comments

• Are they going to send you to a surgeon?
  • I guess I'll find out on Tuesday when I go to my appt. I'm hoping there can be something a little more non-invasive. We shall see.
  • Well I was feeling better this afternoon. It was really cloudy and there were some droplets here and there. To me that's perfect running weather and I've been missing it so much that I decided to give it a try. I did have a some pain in the lower back and in the glutes but the running did not exacerbate the pain at all. I expected to run a block and turn around and limp home but it felt good so I kept running. It was great!! it was nice to get out in the fresh air instead of being in the house on a heating pad. I'm sure I'll get the pain down my leg again but for today it was nice was nice to be active.
  • Thank you for serving our country. With your pain, you will have good days and bad days. It's like a roller coaster. When you are feeling ok, you might over do it, but remember the injury is still there. You must be careful not to be so stubborn like me. I was so stubborn that I didn't even see a doctor for the first 4 years of back pain. The past 2 years have been severe. It's now 6 years of back pain and I've made my condition chronic with lack of early treatment and the "Won't let it stop me/get me down" mentality. Please, please, please don't end up like me!!! I'm a bit jealous you were able to run; I used to love it. I wasn't the best either but it made me happy. I hope you find relief soon, I'm here if you need support, have questions or want some humor and positive energy...
    -Lisa
  • You are quite welcome Lisa, I serve willingly and would go to Iraq again if I were needed, bad back and all.haha Freedom isn't free! You're so right I do have good days and bad days. I've been better the last couple of days, I don't have the sciatic pain but still do have the chronic lower back pain which the doctor say is attributed to Facet Joint pain. She has me on Lyrica for the nerve pain. I'm a little afraid since reading some of the side effects but like I said no sciatic pain for now. I met with the doctor on Tues. to go over my ct scan results. Not looking good for the home team. My L5-S1 is torn all the way and material leaking out. Before we do anything else she is going to have her husband, also a doctor at the same practice, look over the results to see if I'm a candidate for a procedure that he does. It is supposed to seal the disc from the inside so no more material leaks out. We shall see. I'm hopeful, I've seen some amazing people come back from horrific injuries and do amazing things so I think there is hope for us yet Lisa. Google Oscar Pistorius when you get a chance and be amazed. Take care and feel better

Jay

• I'd be interested in what you find out about that sealant, how it works, what back ailments it is for, success rates etc. Thanks.

How's the Lyrica?

Sorry to hear your on the sidelines.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.