Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

In Severe Pain, Crying..... want to be taken out behind the barn..... not handling this well today

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Chronic Pain
I have been doing so SO great lately with my pain and overall general health that I just didn't see all this coming.

Day before yesterday, I went out and bought some new things for the house.... still trying to make "Mike's Place" more our own, you know? Alittle style here and there. I got a great new area rug for the livingroom. So I rolled up the one that was already there, a heavy hand-tufted one, threw it up onto my shoulder like no ones business and chucked it out into the garage. Then promptly untied the new one and yanked and pulled on it until it was where I wanted it. Smart? No. But it was just one of those things you do everyday..... and don't pay for it until the day after which I did. My family is "pissed" that I did it, but honest to god I was just excited about sprucing up the house with the new stuff I got.... not what is this going to do to me tomorrow. It didn't hurt at the time.... famous last words.

Then very early this morning I woke up sweating and feeling just wrong. I ran upstairs and (TMI coming) thru up so hard that I had to change my clothes. Just over and over and over. I would then have the chills and would get back into bed. This happend 2 more times after the original houk, and on the 3rd it was about 730am and my dtr was using the bathroom.... so I freaked out my son by getting sick in the kitchen sink. I had no where else to go.

I have slept all day and am now up for the 1st time today. I haven't been in this much pain in so so long.... it's like I forgot how to manage it when it gets like this. I have cried alot and still am. I'm kind of hungry finally. Oh, and to top it all off we were supposed to leave this afternoon for the Nascar Race tomorrow..... which now Mike and his best friend, whom I love and adore, are getting to go together. I am happy that they are going to have some rare guy time together but saddened as we have been looking forward to the race since the race last year.

It's just kind of been a real $hitter these past couple of days and I need a cyber hug from those of you who, unfortunately, understand far to well. I love you guys.

I'm in atleast a solid 9 or 9.5 as far as the pain goes and I am just trying to do all that I know how to to minimize it myself. I just couldn't handle the trip to the ER as I already feel like a loser extraordinare. Don't ask me why, I just do.

Mike said what can I do to help, I would do anything for you, baby. My answer thru tears was.... that he could shoot me.

That's where I am right now, tonight.

Hugs and thanks for listening,

Amy
advertisement

Comments

• Amy, sorry your in so much pain and feeling so down.
    Hugs
    Meg
  • You goofball!!! You know better than to yank and pull on a rug and heft one on your shoulder!!!!!!! Well you proved one thing that we already knew ... YOU SHOULDN'T DO STUFF LIKE THAT ! ! !

Knucklehead what were you thinking?

So you know the drill. Rest for a few days and let it resolve. Ice if you can or need to. Stay on your meds. And NO MORE craziness!!!

If you start running a fever you go to the doc! If it doesn't resolve or start to mellow out, you go to the doc! If you just "know" something happened that wasn't right, you go to the doc!

If you need a good cyberscolding ... let me know! Dangit girl you have been doing so good.

Hang in there,

"C"
  • (((Amy))) I'm so sorry for your pain. Just try to keep on breathing in and out.

hugs
    d.

• Amy,

sorry to hear of your pain, just like others have said be careful next time and for now just do the best you can to relax and heal.
  • Hiya Amy >:D<
    I can totally sympathize with you :) . I did a simular thing, and it cost me my job :O . I had been working long shifts for 14 days I) , and i had a day off,the weather was nice so i thought i would do some gardening, and i was carrying a garden slab #:S , i felt somthing click in my back and the pain was soooooo bad :O . My friend was here at the time so she along with my daughter carried me into the house and put me on the bed :| . The doctor came he gave me an injection of morphine and some pills and he also gave me diazapan @) . I was on complete bed rest it took about 6 weeks before i was up and about (|: , the doctor was very good he kept on coming out and giving me the injection and he said i shouldnt be working and he strongly advised me to give up my job :T , so i did , and that was over 2 years ago. Amy i am totally with you on this one and i know how you feel >:D< . Get Well Soon! Amy the best thing you can do is rest and lay flat if you can. :) Have you got somthing you can take for the pain? @)

Angie x >:D<
  • So? How does the room look?

HUGS HUGS HUGS HUGS HUGS XXXXXXXXXXXXXX0000000000000000

Susan
  • just wanted you to know I'm thinking of you and hope like heck you're feeling better today. hugs
  • you poor thing. I can't imagine how you must be feeling. I am sure that you know you need to get medical treatment before it gets worse... Once the pain reaches a certain level its hard to get back under control again.

I hope that you are feeling better by the time this reaches you.

Let us know how you are feeling today

Hugs and kisses >:D<
    Amanda
  • Aww Amy! >:D<

I am so so sorry you're hurting so much! I, too, hope you're feeling at least a little bit better today.

Look, we ALL do things that we know we shouldn't and end up regretting it later. I think it has to do with just one more thing we'd have to get help with so we just wanna do it by ourselves. It's so hard to lose our independance little by little and it's just so much easier to get things done-to hold on to what's left of that independance. None of us wants to have to ask for help. (I'm stubborn as all get out-I hardly ever ask for help and, like you, end up paying that high price for it #o )I totally know why you did what you did and I know the rest of the spineys here understand it too. You'll get back to feeling better again, and unfortunately, you'll be stubborn and do for yourself again too, knowing what it will do to you. It's just how we are and in my opinion, it shows our endurance & strength. It shows that we're not just going to lay down & give up!

Hang in there hun. We're all here for you. If you need to whine, then whine. If you need to cry, then cry. If you need to get angry, get angry. No matter what you need to do-your spiney pals are here for you. You WILL get through this. You WILL feel better again. You will NOT be alone in getting through this, ever. Keep that chin up. :)

• >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<

I'm sorry you're having a rotten time. And I know how it is when you want to do stuff, and then later it bites you. To me it's like not having a life; living on prevention mode. But in the same token, we have to protect our backs and know what are limitations are. You don't how bad I want to do things like redecorate; I have to get my husband to do stuff I can't, mainly just about everything.

Mike sounds like a nice guy. My husband wishes there was something he could do for me, and it bothers him a lot, more than what he admits, that I am so limited. Just yesterday he told me that he was afraid that this is the way I'm gonna be. I'm starting to feel the same way.
    There are days when I wonder why am I here. But I have my family to think of, and they will have me any way I am.

Take care of yourself; do what you can to ride this 9.5 pain (ice packs, hot bath with help, massage, heating pad) Don't lay on the heating pad more than 20 minutes at a time. I use ice packs on my back and heat for my sciatica.
  • Well..Dang.
    every now and then ya gotta see where your at, Ime sorry for your pain, But Ime not sorry you tryed!
    Your a Spartan!
    There is no fear in you is there?
    Thought so!
    Heal thyself and move forward, your going to be ok soon and be out and about like all gitout!
    You havent forgot what it means to be a fighter and not a quitter, thats why you "DO" thing that may not be the best, but ya do it any way, you climb that mountain coz its there, so take care and heal for the next one right?
    Dont give up or in to the pain, keep pushin and livin!
    there will always be days of rekoning for those who decide to live, even when its gonna cost you, thats why your brave and good! you try, no matter what, so dont regret the fight. If you want it bad enough, and are willing to pay the ferryman, so be it, let the consequences be &#&^^..!

I hope you heal quick and that you get back on your two feet soon. I admire those who try, you are in pain and metaphoricly bloody now, but you will be up in no time..
    Its called character and all great fighters have it, the willingness to get back up no matter how much it hurts, draw from that wonderful inner strength and get up!
    but, heal first..
  • Hi Amy just sending my best wishes for a speedy recovery. When you are up and fit could you just hop over to Scotland and do my windows the next time you feel like superwoman =))
  • I'm sending hugs your way! patsy

• I'm with "C" on this one. Naughty naughty girl! And, I'm with Angie too. I too have been there and done that. This weekend as a matter of fact. Stubborn to a fault like Tanya says (no one wants to ask for help), and of course there's Ranch. He's right - you are strong (inside and out), and you will get through this. It's just going to take a while.

Like the rest of the group - hoping you feel better soon, sending hugs your way. And Mike sounds like the great guy you've told us about. I know how disappointed you must be on having to miss out on the together time at the races. I've had to limit my L.S.U. games to one a year - just can't handle the tailgating, walking and climbing involved... :''( But, this isn't about me..

Mostly, though - don't be too hard on yourself for trying to do something constructive. Can't stop living, loving, trying, wanting and doing because of pain! If we did, what kind of life would that be?

You've got lots of love, hugs, support and friends, and not just here on this forum. I'm hoping all that mushy stuff is making you feel better as I type this.

Take care Amy!

Jeaux
    >:D<
  • Amy~Hope this finds you doing better and in better spirits. We all know how difficult it is to carry out the day to day tasks that everyone faces-only we have to face it through our pain. We may not be able to take away your physical pain like we'd like to, but hopefully we've at least helped to take away some of your emotional pain from this, or at minimum we've shared it with you. Hang in there sugar...you are loved. >:D<
  • The barn is gonna be the first place the cops look......

You over did it. Lay down, get some nice pillows and a few good movies and just relax. You will be fabulous.

Best wishes to ya,
    sean
  • Amy where are you ? How are you ? Just sympathize with you sooooo much. >:D<

Angie x
  • where are you darling????
    been worried.
    things can happen like this to us but we HAVE TO KEEP GOING.. your strong darlin you can do this no matter how hard.
    you have people that love and care for you..
    hey i could of been gone A LONG TIME AGO, but no im typing to you instead.

love youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
    terri :*
  • It is never easy dealing with a flare up even more so when it is not your fault and the usual strategies seem less effective than before. Most of the time these evaporate in time of its own making and we need to be even more strong until this has passed.

I once spent three weeks in a chair all the time day and night, and it is hard, we have time to reflect on what is going on and the usual distraction that we can use are temporarily unavailable. You have to be more positive at this time and develop a strategy of survival even at this time.

We are all crying inside and we have to deal with the pain at the symptoms for a long time, you need positive action that you have some control rather than just waiting for the pain to subside. Even if your capacity is limited try to think what worked last time, either distraction and the road to improvement is in using an array of collective strategies for improvement rather than one. Most here have been where you are and we understand as time stood still and the pain increased to a level that we could not imagine.

This phase will pass and you will be more experienced because of it and more prepared than before, the barn idea although understandable would improve nothing and is a measure of how you feel inside. Uncontrollable and public crying may be the first sighs of depression and you should seek some additional guidance and support if you think that is appropriate or necessary. Our PM team helped us to develop a flare up strategy which differed from when our normal routine did not work.

Take care it will pass and we all have some experience of this type of increase in pain.

John

• Dear Amy,
    I can really sympathize with you for that happens to me on a fairly regular basis. And then I did myself in even worse about 4 or 5 days ago, and was in the exact shape that you were in. Yes I know, TMI, but I also hurl when the pain is bad, which is pretty often. I also get fevers, night sweats, nightmares, (except it's whenever I fall asleep, not just at night) and curl up into the fetal position.
    All that I did this time was to carry a bag of 10pd ice from the car into the house. I felt something "twinge" and knew I was in trouble. Let me give you a tip that will help if you ever do this again or even if you just get sick. Keep a trash can next to the bed, or wherever you are. I use a tall one and keep a supply of new trash bags at hand, plus a wet, cool cloth. It's also easier on the back than having to hurl the "normal" way.
    I almost went to the ER also but changed my mind, I knew that I wasn't up to laying there for hours and also figured that they would just give me a shot anyway. Actually, I kind of afraid that they would admit me, and then my cat would be alone and hungry.
    I'm so sorru had been feeling so good and "allowed" this to happen to you. I hope with everything that I have inside of me that you get back to where you were, and soon. I'll put you in my prayers. At the same time, I'm sending you postive thought's and also tons of hugs too! >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<
    Hoping your better soon,
    Jewels
  • When I said that I did myself in even worse, I meant worse for me, not worse than you. I didn't want you to get the wrong idea! @)
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.