Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervical #7 is degenerated. Diagnosed today. On Cuomadin Already.

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello, Looking for some good help and support i have a newly discovered disc impingement. I am a realitively healtyhy 53 yr old male. It all started 7 days ago, after a 3 chiropractor sessions, my upper shoulder got numb and neck pain. Today, I just saw an xray of 7th segment and got the possible nerve compression diagnosis. A large spur is in the front, as well.

I had a pulminary embolism 5 weeks ago after arthroscopic hip surgery. Been trying to get used to the cuomadin and recovery from that. I haven't been able to return to work since the hip surgery 8-4-08. I am on the blood thinner coumadin for 12 months.

Please let me know what to do to postpone surgery?

Has anyone been on coumadin and taken off for this surgery?

I live in Santa Barbara and before August I swam and biked.

My numbness is only in my shoulder blades and neck.

Thanks to you all in advance and may we heal well, soon.
advertisement

Comments

• Welcome to spine-health. Mike, I wouldn't jump the gun to surgery just yet. Have you had an MRI? Or is your diagnosis made from x-rays only? Unless there is an emergency situation, your doctors will most likely want you to try conservative methods of treatment before taking you to the operating room. You will likely do physical therapy for a while, and then may have some steroid injections to try to reduce the nerve compression. Since this has only been going on for about 7 days, you may just need to give it time to settle down.

As a fellow PE sufferer, it is important that you stay on the coumadin. I'm surprised they say for 12 months though. I had to stay on for 6 months. If it ends up that you require surgery again, the doctors will know what to do for you, but you will likely need to go off of the coumadin for a period of time prior to having the surgery.

Again, welcome to spine-health, and I hope you get some relief soon.

Cindy
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Thanks for the warm welcome and INFO. You are right I do not want to jump into fusion soon. I am glad there is some shot therapies. If anybody knows what else I can do please help! Ice only helps the shoulder muscle. Heat is not happening!

This severe neck pain and shoulder numbness is horrible. The Dr. went over my xrays and the spur is large and the nerve really feels impinged. I am glad there are options and will keep positive thoughts toward them.

Thanks Cindy - /:) I wish you health and healing.
    Mike