Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Frustration with GP

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Pain Management
So, this thread is basically about my last post of "So, Whats Next" but I had been trying to contact my GP for several days to let her know of my symptoms, and that I think its is possible it could be CES. I get a phone call 2 days later, saying "you just had your meds filled on the 18th, and we are not willing to refill at this time" X( That is not what I had asked. I am doing fine on my pain meds, and even if I wasnt, I know I am not allowed a refill for 28 days from refill date. Anyways, I explain, no, I am fine on meds and please let GP know I am not taking extra, and I am not asking for more. I get a call later that day that my GP is trying to get me referred to a surgeon, and that is the best she can do for now. I wish she would send me for an MRI to rule this out. :W The symptoms come and go, it depends on what Im doing and how I am positioned, but I feel this is ridiculous. :< I havent wanted to go to the ER because Im not sure if it is emergent enough to do so, and the last time I complained of these symptoms, they filled me up with morphine and sent me home, no blood work, MRI, nothing! :jawdrop: I know it is their job to get you comfortable to be able to handle yourself and the pain unitl you can get in with your own doctor, but come on! I am contemplating going up there tomorrow if this continues, which I am pretty sure it will. I will just ask if they can rule out CES and that I think it is imparitive that they do so, not drug me up, but test me! Not sure if this was the appropriate place to post, so sorry if not but I feel like a hamster in a wheel right now with no place to go. Well, gotta go for now. Legs getting numb and feet are tingly. :? I wish I would be taken seriously for once. :( Have a great night and I will keep you posted of changes. Quick question tho, what other symptoms might be associated with CES? I was told my medications could cause these symptoms??? I dont believe so :H
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Mom,
    Here you are! :H I was looking for you.... #:S
    Anyway, the symptoms of CES include:
    Increasing back pain
    Changes in bladder or bowel habits- this can include not being able to tell you need to go, not being able to start or stop, not being able to control the flow of urine or feces, diarrehea or constipation- there are many variables when it comes to this.
    Increasing and or spreading numbness in new areas that you didn't have it before, which includes the buttocks, genitals, inner thighs, back of legs, feet and heels.
    Increasing weakness in legs/muscles
    Changes or lessening of sensation in the areas mentioned above
    I had numbness on the inner parts of my thighs too....
    I had all of these.....
    I hope this helps you. I join you in being frustrated at the lack of cooperation from your GP's office.
    Sandi
  • I am just so frustrated. I am not sure what to do anymore. We only have one hospital here where I live, so its not like I could go visit another ER, but I really wish I could. Im just confused as to what to do. Should I make it a point to try again and go to the ER? Its like if I wait long enough, I may be able to say "I told you so" but at what cost? Being paralyzed, cannot function? Im so scared of these new symptoms and am over not being listened to. I have a baby girl who depends on me for everything. :< I need to figure this out and soon. My back pain is starting to severely increase at the moment so I might be back on in a little while to see if you replied, otherwise take care! >:D<
  • Mom,
    If I were you, I would go back to the ER.....here is a link to the symptoms of CES. http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/c/cauda_equina_syndrome/intro.htm

You would probably be better off going during the daytime, not night, so if they do order an MRI, they can do it right there, with a radiologist on duty to interpret the films.
    I totally empathize with you about the delay from your GP. I don't get that she does not seem to understand that something is hugely wrong. I had the same reaction, and delay in getting mine treated but it was by my own surgeon.
    If there is any way that I can help, please feel free to PM me Mom.
    You might want to tell them that you believe it may be CES, and that you are scared that you are going to loose your ability to walk. That just might get them motivated into doing an MRI to rule it in or out.
    Sandi
  • MIP,

I agree with Paul. It is very sound reasoning. I have watched people I know do exactly what Paul is talking about. They started off hurting, but manageable and then well meaning friends said something and they looked it up and the next day that same person was in near unmanageable condition.

Not saying that is the case with you, just saying that's something we all have to be watchful for when we research our conditions on-line or ask others their opinion.

Do what you feel you need to do in order to take care of yourself. We only see the words you type on a computer. You however, feel what you feel.

"C"
  • Mom,
    Paul and Hag are both correct. I hope that I didn't convince you that you have CES. It is one of the possibilities, but certainly not the only one. I apologize if I have "diagnosed" you, I get very concerned when I start reading about bladder and bowel incontinence, given my own experiences, and those of many others that I have talked to that do have CES.

CES is a distinct disorder, having a very distinct set of symptoms, but unfortunately, those symptoms can also be caused by many other things.
    For me, I had every symptom of CES, in varying degrees, but they certainly all were present....for you, I don't know what you are experiencing as far as the "checklist" goes.
    I still firmly believe that you need to see either a neurosurgeon or orthopedic spine surgeon , if it is not caused by a bladder infection to find out what is causing your symptoms.

Thanks for the gentle reminder Paul and Hag...I am concerned, and hope that things turn out okay for Mom.
    Sandi :)
  • Hiya,
    I can feel your frustration ~X( , ive had a personal experience where ive had doctors that will not listen :S . So i know how you feel. I do know that your GP has to refer you to the surgeon, then they can send you for an MRI, as a GP can not refer you for the MRI :? .Keep us posted how you get on. We are all here for you . >:D<

Angie x
  • I know what you all are saying, and I understand. My uncle who is a PA has told me tons of times that people who are sick chronically or just got sick, end up "over-reading" about things on the internet about what it could be. The main reason why I am concerned about CES is that my PM dr a few years ago told me to always watch my symptoms because it very well could lead to CES. I had been tested for UTI and kidney infections earlier this week to rule it out before I even really thought about CES. I did end up in the ER last night. By the time I got there, I had lost control of my legs, and was wheelchaired in. I told the dr everything that had been going on with me, the new symptoms, and that I had recently been tested for kidney infections and a UTI. She did some neurological tests on me, and did notice there was a problem. I guess they couldnt get a hold of someone to do an MRI last night, so I am getting one this morning to double check everything just to rule it out again. She did say that incontinence could be a problem because of several things, not just CES, but she said it sounded like I was well informed and she liked that. ;) I told her with my back, I have had to act as my own advocate for proper care. She agreed with me and was glad I came in to get checked out, especially since Im unable to walk at the moment. It does tend to come and go, but MS was ruled out last year. I am just hanging on the couch until I go to get my MRI to make sure everything is ok. She also thought it would be a good idea to check to make sure my stenosis has not changed, because that could be causing these new symptoms if it is progressing. :S So, thank you everyone for your concerns and being able to let me vent and talk to you guys. :))) I am glad I chose to go up to the ER last night. When my legs gave out again yesterday, I had enough! So, lets hope everything turns out ok on the MRI, and if the stenosis has severely progressed, that could be part of my problem. Have a great day, Everyone! :H
advertisement