Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Nortriptyline--Amitriptyline do these antidepresents wk for chronic pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Pain Medications
these are the only things i haven't tried for a bad pain, Fusion at L5 level, a quad spinie for ten yrs. chronic pain for 5 yrs. take ora morph 90mgs daily, neurontin 2700daily which doesn't kill my pain at all,,last year in pain clinic..they kept me on morphine but took away my percocets..fine till i started physical training, i live in a wheel chair very hard to find an exercise for me,,taken relaxation classes to cognitive CBT classes to class 2 level of pain clinic,,,nothing works for breakthrough pain like opiates. nothing, when your pain is so intense, works as well.....the only thing left is antidepresents to try ,,i haven,t complaind too much about the breakthrough pain but the level of pain keeps going up ,,,either p/c gives me boosters or nortriptyline?????thanks guys jpm really need imput.......
advertisement

Comments

• :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H under a doctors supervision it seems like the smart thing to do is see if they work. i am sure you are disappointed and feel like giving up but if there is a chance you have to take it. i hope the amitriptilline works for you and you find an adequate pain treatment program soon. :? good luck and i will see you around the forum! Jenny :)
  • with amitriptiline was that it didn't help at all. Have you tried Lyrica at all. It is like neurontin but I think it worked better for me. I am surprised they took away your break through meds. Maybe they think the neurontin is good enough for the breakthrough??.. Try the amitrip, my old doc said that many patients had found nerve pain relief from it. Everyone is different so just because it didn't work for me doesn't mean it wont work for you. Good luck MJ
  • Sorry your having such a hard time controlling your pain.
    I'v been on amtriptyline for fibromyalgia. Besides it giving me a good nights sleep it did nothing for pain.
    My friend was on the other.It also did nothing for her. But remember each person reacts differently to pain medications or antidepressents.
    They probably took away the percocets do the tylenol. Thats something you really do not want to take for the rest of your life everyday. (personal opinion again)

So I take it your in pain managment now???
    Have they tried other long acting medications??? or just morphine????
    Have you or the Dr every discussed a pain pump implant??
    Just throwing personal ideas out there.

I wish I had more for ya, but of course as you know not being a medical professional I can only give ya my own personal advice.

GOOD LUCK
    I wish for you to get some relief soon!!!!!! O:)

• i have been in pain manage for 11 yrs. now. it was called intigrative medicine , woke up after walking into the hospital for neck surgery, C5 fusion woke up completely paralized..yeas later much p/t i was standing and walking in bars to being hyperextened at a adaptive P/T class.. 5years on oxicontin and percs..last year had surgery for DDD i had everything going wrong, back and spine has every desease mentioned, and after fusion of L/5 area, it was declared failed surgery . on to P/C again..a change had been made at the pain clinic,,they are trying to help me, new thing is less opiates the better, it is a good program does wonders for some people,, acetimeniphen is ok to them in large doses, so is aleve, i almost had very bad time with this. i have really no breakthrough pain meds.. they only have 2 choices left anti- dep. or opiates,,,very strong pain
    thanks jpm
  • I've tried Amitriptyline as well, but was not on it for very long. It did not help my nerve pain but you really need to give a medication a good 3 months to see if its effective. I stopped after about 5 weeks because one of the side effects (for me, and sounds like TerriJV as well) is it just knocks you out. I could not function, so I asked my doc to switch me over to another med. Still, worth a try if you have exhausted other medication "avenues".

Good luck to you and let us know how it goes.
    -Melissa
  • I tried Nortripyline for about a week and a half and it didnt seem to help. It did however knock me out at night and left me foggy the next day, very out of it. Everybody is different with meds and my doctors says she has patients that are helped alot from it.

It may be worth a try, but didnt work for me. Good luck with it and let us know.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,728
    Hi jpm, I looked them up on www.rxlist.com Because I was curious and had never herd of them for pain relief. May be you should also. Another good site is askapatient.com.
    Good luck Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,722
    Pain?
    I've never viewed or heard these medications as being in the pain medication category. I was on Amitriptyline for about a year back in 2000.
    The purpose was to give me a good REM sleep. By doing that, it allowed my body to do some healing. When you are in a pain cycle, your body has trouble just dealing with that pain. Something that will allow your body to 'take a break' from that pain is so very important.
    These medications themselves do not 'correct' the problem, but they are just one of the Medication 'BLENDS' I've talked about so often.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• I know, but I am looking for information on nortriptyline as I have just been prescribed it and will be taking the first tablet tonight.

I have been given it by my Pain Consultant for nerve pain and headaches. I also get leg cramps in the night so if can help with that, so much the better.

I am interested to hear of other's experience with nortriptyline or amitriptyline (I hear that nortriptyline is a refined version of a similar drug, with less side effects. I hate taking meds but my consultant assured me that it has been used widely since the 1960s, is very safe and he uses is!

advertisement