Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sciatica Foot Pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
:H
Hi Group; It has been awhile since i've been online. 1 yr po from 6 lvl cervical fusion c3-t1 and 12 yrs po from L5-S1 A/P fusion. Now i have bulging in L3-4 area and SI joint pain.

Waiting for approval for a bi lateral lumbar facet injection. But for the last several months my sciatica down both legs is showing up in my calves and feet. My feet feel like i'm walking on glass or the all the bones in my foot are broken. I'm on Robaxin,Fetanyl patches, Neurotin, Lidoderm patches, Prozac and Serax. I've checked at Drugs.com, which btw is a great site, it will keep track of your meds etc. I checked if any of these may have this side effect. Also recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia.

This pain is horrible, I can hardly walk and have to suck it up at work. Hurts no matter if i'm walking or in my recliner or sleeping. Aches just laying down.

Do you think this is all related to the sciatica? Or have I developed something new and weird?

Thanks for any ideas.
advertisement

Comments

• Hi PIN,

I never got the feeling of walking on glass. Just a searing pain in different areas of my feet.

Sorry you feel so poorly. I hope the facet injections help.

"C"
  • Wow can I empathize with your pain. My foot, which doesn't even feel like a foot, also feels like things aren't in the right place. I hope the MRI's I just had taken helps me with this thought. I walk on pain non-stop too. What is our second choice? I have noticed though my calf and foot are atrophying. I guess the numbness isn't making the muscles work so they are shrinking. This has me worried.
    I hope those injections work. We need something that works for someone with feet like ours.
    Julie
  • I have been struggling with nerve pain in both of my legs, running right along the L5 nerve root pattern for years. In December of 06 I had a laminectomy and fusio L5 S1 (this after many, many epidural, facet injections, rhizotomies, PT. Anyway a few months ago, the pain moved into my feet. I describe it as though my feet are on fire or sitting over a glowing charcoal fire (size 9 S'mores). Having had a stress fracture in my metatarsal during my tennis playing days, I have also described my foot pain as feeling like I have stress fractures in every bone in my feet. It has made my ability to walk for exercise so-o-o-o difficult. Walking with leg pain is one thing but this----YUK!
    I too wonder where this came from? Is it just more of the same damaged nerve or is it scar tissue?
  • I loved your description with the S'mores. Made me laugh. What is so hard to me also is the exercising. Every step I take is painful with my foot. I don't have feeling on the bottom and my toes bend as if they are trying to grab things all the time. I cannot stand up on my toes at all, so I have no push off. I hope these tests I am doing will help to understand where this is originating from. I hope, I hope, I hope!!!!
  • Weird as it may sound................my foot pain is sometimes better when I wear heels. Go figure. Not like stilettos but some --you know--heels.
  • Your medical history sounds so similar to mine. What was this about scar tissue removal. I have been eading about this because, of course my post-op CT scan shows scar tissue but I haven't read of any effective treatment for this. I'm currently looking into a spinal cord stimulator. Have you consider that?
  • My last surgery was done because the MRI showed a piece of something in the L5/S1 area. What he found was both nerve roots were scarred down and he released them and that made a huge difference for me. My hip pain was gone because of freeing the nerve roots. He went in cause I told him things were pulling all wrong. Then he said afterward you were right they were scarred down wrong and thankfully they didn't scar again in that same position. Just didn't effect the foot numbing and pain.
    The words SCS have been mentioned but we are not there yet. I hope to find out why this is numb and where it is coming from. I can hardly wear any shoes. Nothing tight.
    julie
  • Hello,
    I have no sensation in my foot and toes and loss of any ankle jerks, it seems at times to be pulsating on its own, and although the sensation is reduced it feels as if someone has a grip on my foot. I am no doctor and sciatic pain has these symptoms and may originate from a central point and the key thing is down both legs. Irrespective of what is causing it you want it to stop, it may get worse on coughing and sneezing and an experience in itself.

If your medication is up to speed and it does relate from your spine, it is hard to say what relief would be effective. Managing it more effectively is just that and will not reduced the pain, only your concept of how you feel about it.

Most PM looks at an array of simultaneous strategies to deal with the pain as being more effective that just one element in isolation. Unfortunately if walking makes the pain worse then you would need to pace more effectively and rest more often, find if anything that makes it better, easier said than done. You have to be in control, even if that means succumbing to less activity that you would like, do not let the pain win at least all the time, perhaps keep a record of what you are doing and when, time distance medication ect.

I can relate to the shoe thing and had to give away the ones I had and buy bigger ones, and even when not weight bearing the pain continued. PT may help and some increased pain may be experience while acclimatising to any new activity, at the end of the day some risk is involved and the judgement is, could you cope with it being worse, we all go into procedures with some expectation and evidence here may suggest it is not always as effective as we would like. The objective is to keep trying if is does not work try something else, never easy.

Good luck and keep posting.

John
  • I see you everyone is discussing about Sciatica and the ominous pain it brings. We're building a review site aimed at allowing 100% unfiltered reviews of informational and software products. You can find the page with URL Deleted here. Please help others know if they will really be getting helpful information here. These reviews will help people steer clear of scams and hopefully get real relief from pain.

Post edited to remove URL, solicitation is not permitted on Spine-Health

Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health Administrator 12/19/08
  • Are you trying to have us order books and review them? How else could one give an opinion and this is not the place for this.

• I was browing the S-H Pain Forums and found this thread and thought "Wow, this sounds just like me" and I started reading more and saw that its an older thread and I have already posted here. It must be the drugs. If only they erased my pain as well as they seem to erase my memory. Okay now for an update: I have a new PM doc who I like very very much. (If anyone has been reading my tale of woe in the Pain Management section, you'll understand). Anyway, he pretty much confirmed that the foot pain was caused by scar tissue formation that was impinging the L5 nerve root). How this would happen with someone who had cervical surgery, I don't know. But he did say he saw this situation with some frequency from people who had surgery similar to mine. I told him that my surgeon had recommended I get a spinal cord stimulator. (BTW, the surgeon pretty much released me whe the foot pain started---I'm guessing he knew what was going on since my leg pain had also returned). He is going to try one more caudal something epidural injection. I would usually not go along with that, but I do want to get the SCS so I'm trying to be a model patient. In the meantime, my feet continue to burn and stab and feel broken, my exercise regime has been halted but I have also found a new P.T. I'm excited about that. ((I adored my old therapist but my company was bought out and we changed insurance companies). I really like this new guy but he is obsessed with my goofy sacrum and not so interested in my feet. Hi Julie. How are things with you?
advertisement